Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too many owners would have had their 3 year anniversary yet, but its the birthday month for my bike.
Below is a screenshot of the service manual's page for the water hose and o-ring replacement, and I'm looking to verify something with the o-rings.

So far, according to the parts guides (Water Pipe Assembly, below) I can see that the following coolant hoses (listed as A above) are required, which I've listed as the part on the diagram below, and then the whole part number.

39062 - 1 x 39062-0781
39062A - 1 x 39062-0784
39062B - 1 x 39062-0822
39062C - 1 x 39062-0823
(This is the Water Pipe Assembly Diagram)

However, the part B which is listed in the periodic maintenance shows 2 o-rings, which only is labelled as 92055 in the above diagram of the 'Water Pipe' assembly. This part number is 92055-0160 - 44.7 x 2.4

The Water Pump Assembly, below shows 3 parts 92055, 92055A and 92055B. Their part numbers are:

92055 - 92055-0889
92055A - 92055-0896 - 31.2 x 2.4
92055B - 92055-1555 - 23.3 x 1.9

(This is the Water Pump Assembly Diagram)

Based on reading the thermostat removal and water pump cover removal pages, I believe I only need to purchase 92055 for both the diagrams, i.e.
92055 - 92055-0160 - 44.7 x 2.4 - from the water pipes assembly
92055 - 92055-0889 - from the water pump assembly

Can someone who perhaps has read and/or done this confirm that I only need to buy the 4 coolant hoses + 2 o-rings listed?

For those curious, the total cart for these is $77.73 AUD or approx $60 USD at the time of writing.

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
When I replaced/flushed my coolant two months ago, the only things I replaced was the coolant with Honda Type 2 antifreeze, the 2 main hoses with Samco Sport silicone hoses (there is no need to replace these silicone hoses ever), that one 92055 o-ring on the thermostat, and the copper gasket for the drain hole under the waterpump.

Sure I understand the whole preventive maintenance philosophy, though I wouldn't worry about replacing the o-rings on the waterpump unless there is a leak or you decide to replace the mechanical seal. Have a look at the weep hole under the water pump to see if there is a significant amount of coolant leak coming from there. If no leak is present, then I wouldn't worry about replacing any o-rings there. If there is a coolant leak, then your mechanical water seal took a sh*t. Time to replace that.

I only replaced the o-ring on the thermostat because I had to remove the entire cooling system when I disassembled the entire top end to replace the cylinder coolant seal. My rule of thumb when replacing rubber o-rings is to replace once removed or decompressed or very old age.

The manual states to grease some of these o-rings. Don't use petroleum based grease, as it can ruin the rubber. Use grease formulated for rubber and seals such as PTFE based fork seal grease or synthetic.

Now might be a good time to remove and clean the radiator/fins as well. Just gotta disconnect one electrical connector to the rad fan.

It's a good idea to retorque those waterpump and thermostat cover bolts to 9.8 Nm, because they have a tendency to loosen over time.

I took the long, thorough 5 step procedure to flush/replace the coolant. Which took the entire frickin day. Glad I went that route because I did see some fine particles of aluminum in the old coolant. I also saw small traces of "white cotton-like wafts" in the flushed liquid. So yeah, there's quite a bit of crap in there. It's easy though, just need some patience.

·
Registered
Ninja 400 2018
113 Posts
Mine did 3 years this year and i only flushed and changed the coolant, hoses are still pliable and flexible, no leaks, works great, temp has been in 3 bars steady wile riding. My opinion is that some of the maintenance said to be done in the manual is too over-kill, but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure I understand the whole preventive maintenance philosophy, though I wouldn't worry about replacing the o-rings on the waterpump unless there is a leak or you decide to replace the mechanical seal. Have a look at the weep hole under the water pump to see if there is a significant amount of coolant leak coming from there. If no leak is present, then I wouldn't worry about replacing any o-rings there. If there is a coolant leak, then your mechanical water seal took a sh*t. Time to replace that.

I took the long, thorough 5 step procedure to flush/replace the coolant. Which took the entire frickin day. Glad I went that route because I did see some fine particles of aluminum in the old coolant. I also saw small traces of "white cotton-like wafts" in the flushed liquid. So yeah, there's quite a bit of crap in there. It's easy though, just need some patience.
I've never had to top up any coolant in my 3 years, unlike my mates ninja 400 so I think mine's good in terms of leaks.

What exactly is this 5 step procedure, if I can bother you to type it out.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've never had to top up any coolant in my 3 years, unlike my mates ninja 400 so I think mine's good in terms of leaks.

What exactly is this 5 step procedure, if I can bother you to type it out.
My 5 step thorough flushing procedure:
1. Flush with distilled water and vinegar solution of 50/50.
2. 100% distilled water flush
3. Another 100% distilled water flush
4. Coolant added 50/50 mix
5. Second coolant flush using another 50/50 mix (this second coolant flush ensures a proper 50/50 mix).

Long procedure, but the good news is, it's a 3 year service interval.

Here is a great vid from a youtuber with detailed instructions:

Reactions: OzzyNinjaRider

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 5 step thorough flushing procedure:
1. Flush with distilled water and vinegar solution of 50/50.
2. 100% distilled water flush
3. Another 100% distilled water flush
4. Coolant added 50/50 mix
5. Second coolant flush using another 50/50 mix (this second coolant flush ensures a proper 50/50 mix).

Long procedure, but the good news is, it's a 3 year service interval.

Here is a great vid from a youtuber with detailed instructions:

That’s quite a few more steps than the 7 or 9 step coolant flush procedures I could find online haha. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts