Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing the 2019 ABS Ninja 400 and I am deciding whether or not to opt in for the 1 thousand dollar warranty .. dealer says only manufacter defects and electrical though so it is not full warranty .. any thoughts? how has everyone's ninja 400 been treating them?

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I never get extra warranty cuz they never cover the stuff that breaks anyway. With the exception of the weakass clutch, these bikes are purdie much bullet proof.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS in Candy Red
45 Posts
$500 on a $12,000 bike (as I paid for my previous bike) is one thing, but $1000 on a $5000 bike — or 20% of its value — is something else entirely. That percentage and the reliability of the bike seems to me to make it an ill-advised thing to purchase. I just bought a 2019, and while the dealer didn’t offer a $1K warranty, I certainly wouldn’t have considered it if he had.

·
Registered
Ninja 400 2018
87 Posts
I am purchasing the 2019 ABS Ninja 400 and I am deciding whether or not to opt in for the 1 thousand dollar warranty .. dealer says only manufacter defects and electrical though so it is not full warranty .. any thoughts? how has everyone's ninja 400 been treating them?
I bought mine new from the dealer in 2018, it has 7k Km and the only problem i had was last year after 4 months of no riding (winter) i went to turn the bike on and nothing, lights come on and all, pump primes the system, press the ignition and only a "electricity crackling sound", that was all i heard, turned it off and tried again and it started no problem. The bike did that to me some times, it looked to be temperamental to me, sometimes it did, some it didnt, i always got it to start by just cycling the ignition and trying until it started. Checked the voltage, 12.6 volts on the voltmeter but i dont know about the CCA, i believe they were low. Called the dealer and he said to hook it up to a charger. I bought an optimate 4 and hooked it to the bike, has been a year and the problem is gone, even last month after 5 months of not touching the bike it started right up. I believe the problem was the battery with low cold cranking amps (CCA). The battery is still the same.

That is the only minor problem i got with my bike and the dealer said the warranty could be voided because i changed the oil and filter myself before i called him, but he still helped me solving the problem. These are tough little bikes, they dont break that easy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Having spent about 20yrs in the auto industry, extended warranties aren't worth wiping your butthole with. I always buy new because the manufacturer is legally obligated to cover any issue, not the dealer (who is offering you a warranty from an independent company) and will try to wriggle their way out of responsibility and fight you hard if claiming.

9/10 times, as soon as said vehicle is about to go out of factory warranty, I tend to get bored, strip off the mods and sell them, and move the bike on. Sometimes I keep it as a package and stay firm on the price (what I did lasttime).

Extended warranties are a scam, don't do it. ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
:cool: The extended warranty are bogus, The standard one will cover most things that go wrong if any, normal ware and tear items are not covered by any warranty, example-brake pads, tires, light bulbs, You can change oil and filter yourself and it will NOT void the warranty, save your receipts or take a pic of the stuff with the date in the pic, Big thing is to warm the engine up real good before the first ride of the day and you should be good, congrats on the new ride and if your close to Syracuse I can help you out with the service as I get my filters in a six pack at a time, I have a 2020 Ninja 400 with 3400 miles on and she rocks, I did my first oil dump at 300 miles and oil&filter at 700 miles, enjoy and be safe,...

·
Registered
78 Posts
You can change oil and filter yourself and it will NOT void the warranty\
Americans NEED to be aware that this is not the case in other countries. This advice is wrong and annoying for the majority of consumers globally! For example, here in Australia, you MUST have your vehicle serviced at an accredited workshop or dealership to maintain your warranty (and have proof via a service stamp in your book or a full receipt of work done). Failure to do so under the terms and conditions will void your warranty and default it. I've seen plenty of people over the years get screwed from this "advice" when it's actually wrong and says quite openly in the T&C's when purchasing as per government legislation.. ;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Americans NEED to be aware that this is not the case in other countries. This advice is wrong and annoying for the majority of consumers globally! For example, here in Australia, you MUST have your vehicle serviced at an accredited workshop or dealership to maintain your warranty (and have proof via a service stamp in your book or a full receipt of work done). Failure to do so under the terms and conditions will void your warranty and default it. I've seen plenty of people over the years get screwed from this "advice" when it's actually wrong and says quite openly in the T&C's when purchasing as per government legislation.. ;)
May I ask where do you find this on their website? In the US, it is clearly stated that you don't have to take it to a dealership for maintenance: Frequently Asked Questions| Kawasaki Owners Center

Dealerships have outrageous prices for simple maintenance service.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If it was a Suzuki then yeah buy all the warranty you can. Since it's a Kawasaki do your routine maintenance and it will outlive you and I.

·
Registered
986 Posts
That's odd you would say that about buying additional warranty protection.. At nearly 8400 Miles, I've had zero problems with my 2018 Suzuki. And they just did a "Safety Recall" to replace, of all things, a "headlamp that may burn out prematurely". Hmmm... last I heard... Kawasaki has yet to address the N/Z 400's, shall we say, "talk of the town" transmission shifter and clutch issues.
I'm not aware of any Japanese motorcycle manufacturers having reliability issues. They're all pretty rock solid. So, any additional warranty protection is IMO, more for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The Japanese bikes are all very reliable. The best objective info we have on reliability is the consumer reports study done a few years ago. I have not seen any other real data (ie, not just opinion and personal experience) that would accurately compare different manufacturers.

CR report: Who Makes the Most Reliable Motorcycle? - Consumer Report

Remember, all things being equal, extended warranties will cost more than the averaged out cost of repairs. Otherwise, the insurance companies would not make money on these policies.

Reactions: N4TW and airhead83

·
Registered
78 Posts
May I ask where do you find this on their website? In the US, it is clearly stated that you don't have to take it to a dealership for maintenance: Frequently Asked Questions| Kawasaki Owners Center

Dealerships have outrageous prices for simple maintenance service.
It's in our consumer rights legislation with regards to warranties and applies to all vehicles...we're a bit of a nanny-state! I totally understand both sides of the situation (customer vs manufacturer and vice-versa). For example, if a customer works on their bike and puts the wrong oil in, or doesn't check a torque setting and something fails, that's hardly fair to the manufacturer to be expected to wear the financial burden of repairing that as a warranty claim. Seems pretty reasonable to me, but hey we do things quite a few things differently down-under (including a 2yr warranty)! :p

·
Registered
508 Posts
It's in our consumer rights legislation with regards to warranties and applies to all vehicles...we're a bit of a nanny-state! I totally understand both sides of the situation (customer vs manufacturer and vice-versa). For example, if a customer works on their bike and puts the wrong oil in, or doesn't check a torque setting and something fails, that's hardly fair to the manufacturer to be expected to wear the financial burden of repairing that as a warranty claim. Seems pretty reasonable to me, but hey we do things quite a few things differently down-under (including a 2yr warranty)! :p
Warranty would not cover damage done by the user. If I change the oil and forget to put any in, which then destroys the engine, warranty would not cover that as it was damage that I inflicted by my own actions. Much like the warranty would not cover damage if you crashed the bike. The point is if you follow the maintenance guide, you don't have to pay somebody $+200 for a $30 oil change. It's literally a 1000% markup in cost for the service between the dealership vs DIY. If they included those maintenance services for free with the warrenty, then I would agree that it is a very reasonable policy. But really it's just a mandated shake down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts