Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
@Watcher905 I cannot comment on locking/skidding the front tire under hard braking with a stickier front tire, but I can do breakies with stock brakes and tire. No vibration.

·
Registered
762 Posts
@Watcher905 I cannot comment on locking/skidding the front tire under hard braking with a stickier front tire, but I can do breakies with stock brakes and tire. No vibration.
Well since you're not bottoming out nor skidding, I take it you are a lighter weight rider?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Haha - lighter weight rider! I wish. I am 6'2+ tall and not slim. About 225 lb. I fit the bike ok, but am not light. Sigh:)

Actually i am not sure that the front fork does not bottom when I practice short hard stops. I do not mash the lever, so fork compression is somewhat gradual... I have not detected front ABS, but I am on clean, dry pavement.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have had some front brake judder with the stock pads. It tends to happen to me if I use the brakes too lightly. A couple of firm stops cures it. Rotors are not warped in my case.
its a hydraulic system... how would it know the difference between light or heavy usage?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar issue with my old bike. I thought it was a warped rotor but it wound up being user error. I was a noob and when I came to a stop I held the front and rear brakes until I was ready to go. The front disks get hot and cook pad material onto the front rotor. Every time you stop the discs tend to stop at that same spot due to the extra friction. It also causes a pulse every time the pads go over theat spot. I changed the pads and cleaned the rotors then started using only the rear brake once stopped. Never happened again.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
I had a similar issue with my old bike. I thought it was a warped rotor but it wound up being user error. I was a noob and when I came to a stop I held the front and rear brakes until I was ready to go. The front disks get hot and cook pad material onto the front rotor. Every time you stop the discs tend to stop at that same spot due to the extra friction. It also causes a pulse every time the pads go over theat spot. I changed the pads and cleaned the rotors then started using only the rear brake once stopped. Never happened again.
Interesting :unsure:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts