Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had an issue with valve tick on a new bike? I'm not 100% certain its the valves but on acceleration and deceleration you can hear something ticking going along with the rpms. Sounds like its coming from the engine i'm pretty sure. I thought it could be the transmission at first but again not sure. Bike only has about 420 miles on it. Haven't raced it or anything yet try to stay as close to 4k rpm when not on the hwy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Posted a clip on youtube if anybody wants to check it out. The sound kind of sucks but you can still hear it a bit. I have p.o.s. phone lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
I can't help much here but my bike does have a tick to it, I just checked it up to new bike noises though. Will be interested to see if that's something wrong or just normal operation though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’d like to hear what you find out. I’m getting a consistent tick but everyone I’ve talked to says that when the valves are set properly that it’s gonna be heard.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You won't get a tick from the valves might get some tappet rattle,
or cam chain could be rattling, might not have enough tension

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thats not the valves.. no chance as well

I think anyone who owns a Ninja 400 knows this noise, its some loose part that doing that.
You get used to it...

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
You won't get a tick from the valves might get some tappet rattle,
or cam chain could be rattling, might not have enough tension
+1
I've got a friend who is a bit of a Kawasaki man from way back and he said Kawasaki's are known for being a bit rattly in the top end (valve train) from new.

·
Registered
99 Posts
+1
I've got a friend who is a bit of a Kawasaki man from way back and he said Kawasaki's are known for being a bit rattly in the top end (valve train) from new.
Yeah im not terribly concerned about it but I am curious to see what the dealer says about it since they seem to have had his bike a week or so. Unless he forgot to update.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I know the 300 you could get a manual one. I'm curious if the n400 has a manual tensioner available also.

As for noise I'm sure they all make that tick. I hear it in mine and the other race bikes. Some worse than others.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My bike hasn't been ticking for a while now - stopped ticking at around 2000 miles on the Odo, guess the chain stretched out all it can.. If it wasn't the timing chain the ticking part magically fixed it self. :grin: either way I'm happy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im experiencing some kind of a small quiet explosion in front of the engine. Cant explain or pin point where it originates, but only happens when trying to rev match on downshift and slowing down on a stoplight while pressing clutch and reving or blipping the throttle. Explosion i could describe like a "poof" sound. Feels like no reaponse for a split second,but my bike does not stall. It operates normally other than that issue. Some input guys thanks.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Im experiencing some kind of a small quiet explosion in front of the engine. Cant explain or pin point where it originates, but only happens when trying to rev match on downshift and slowing down on a stoplight while pressing clutch and reving or blipping the throttle. Explosion i could describe like a "poof" sound. Feels like no reaponse for a split second,but my bike does not stall. It operates normally other than that issue. Some input guys thanks.
This is completely normal Amatz. It's the PAIR valve doing its thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thank you so much for the info it really reduces my stress over that poof sound i thought it was in the engine. i understand now that its from the airbox.. i just hope it doesnt break my bike after a couple of little "poof" in the airbox. thanks again. good thing we have this forum it helps people a lot

1 - 19 of 19 Posts