Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
great mods people a usb charger where that blank is in the fairing is something i want on my bike. is it straight forward to do? i'm not very good with a spanner.
Easy. Use a stubby Philips to remove the knockout from within front wheel well. It is a PITA though.

Get the Kawa relay.

And get bullet connectors.

I removed no fairings to install mine, and USB charger was like $15.

The relay is like $20.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
22 Posts
Today I finally picked up a 12v relay adapter and hooked up a USB charger. Also installed a fender eliminator.. dont remember if i posted that already. View attachment 24791
Just did mine the other day, does anyone know what the cut outs are on both sides of cluster. Theres like a square cut out above were the 12v usb port is and on other side.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Has anyone done this to there z400?
If you own a trickle charger that comes with a lead for your bike's battery like the Battery Tender, then there are some handlebar mounted USB sockets available. I had something generic like this one for my 2007 Ninja 650R: https://www.amazon.com/Vemote-Motorcycle-Waterproof-Voltmeter-Handlebar-Blue/dp/B08RYJT1P8/ref=sr_1_9?adgrpid=1333708167688019&hvadid=83356831318689&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=108229&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-83357100842798:loc-190&hydadcr=24657_10676799&keywords=battery+tender+usb&qid=1659730424&sr=8-9

It's super easy to install. I mounted the socket to the bars, then zip-tied the wire back to where my Battery Tender lead came out from the fairing. I just connected the two when I wasn't using the trickle charger. The only trick is to be very certain to turn off the socket at its on/off switch or you'll be leaving the power on for anything that's plugged in, possibly draining your battery.

Edit: the unit I linked to apparently includes an optional lead that connects directly to the battery. This would likely also be easy to connect to the license plate circuit as @Tracy said. Then you wouldn't need to be concerned about it draining the battery if you forget to turn it off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts