Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I dont know if this has been like this or I just noticed it or whatever but when I am riding i hear this noise coming from the front of the bike somewhere unneath the steering unit but above the front tire what could this noise be if you could help me? Thanks
I cant really describe the noises its like something is sticking or clicking.

·
Registered
21 Posts
#metoo

I picked up my Ninja400 yesterday, and noticed that it's noticable particularly in 2nd, 3rd and (slightly less) in 4th from 4k to 6k RPM. It's a light "tinkling" sound almost like if you imagined a washer was loose somewhere and jingling rapidly, very high pitched but lightly.

It stops outside that rev band which makes me think something's loose. It's from the front section.

I'm not going to worry too much about it until the 1000km service, but I fear since it's so light, i'm the only one who's gonna be able to hear it.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have not heard anything like that on my bike with 3700+ miles on it. I had an extended visit with it Thursday-Saturday morning (1500+miles) and didn't notice any tinkling sound coming from the area below dash or front area.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I actually just picked up the sound yesterday. It almost sounds like valve train rattle, around 9k RPM, but I'm hoping it's not, and maybe just harmonics with a loose bolt.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The tipover safety switch is located on the front fairing bracket. I have not heard it on my 400, but on several other Kaw's I have owned, it tends to rattle a bit.

I don't think this noise has anything to do with fuel octane. 87 octane is plenty for this machine. More likely, as I found, these sensors make noise at a certain rpm range...above or below that range, you never hear them rattle.

There is an exception, regarding octane....if you are lugging the engine, with consistent low-rpm operation in the upper gears...a change to a higher octane can help. They will ping a lot in that case, for sure.

Anyway, just my .02.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually just picked up the sound yesterday. It almost sounds like valve train rattle, around 9k RPM, but I'm hoping it's not, and maybe just harmonics with a loose bolt.
Since not one bike is exactly the same like another one and the build-quality will never be the same I think there'll always be bikes out with some problems which cannot be compared to others (I just made a experience like this).
I have not heard anything like that on my bike with 3700+ miles on it. I had an extended visit with it Thursday-Saturday morning (1500+miles) and didn't notice any tinkling sound coming from the area below dash or front area.
I picked up my Ninja400 yesterday, and noticed that it's noticable particularly in 2nd, 3rd and (slightly less) in 4th from 4k to 6k RPM. It's a light "tinkling" sound almost like if you imagined a washer was loose somewhere and jingling rapidly, very high pitched but lightly.

It stops outside that rev band which makes me think something's loose. It's from the front section.

I'm not going to worry too much about it until the 1000km service, but I fear since it's so light, i'm the only one who's gonna be able to hear it.

Anyone else?
The tipover safety switch is located on the front fairing bracket. I have not heard it on my 400, but on several other Kaw's I have owned, it tends to rattle a bit.

I don't think this noise has anything to do with fuel octane. 87 octane is plenty for this machine. More likely, as I found, these sensors make noise at a certain rpm range...above or below that range, you never hear them rattle.

Anyway, just my .02.
How do I tighten it any directions?

·
Registered
178 Posts
How do I tighten it any directions?
On my other bikes, I never paid much attention to it, once I knew it was a normal sound.

Do you have any way to capture the sound? One idea would be to put the bike on it's stand, in neutral, and find the rpm that the noise occurs. Then capture it on your phone, so that we can hear what is going on.

This is all just educated guess-work, right now. Not a lot to go on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
On my other bikes, I never paid much attention to it, once I knew it was a normal sound.

Do you have any way to capture the sound? One idea would be to put the bike on it's stand, in neutral, and find the rpm that the noise occurs. Then capture it on your phone, so that we can hear what is going on.

This is all just educated guess-work, right now. Not a lot to go on.
I'd be surprised if a video or audio recording will pick it up, the quality of the mic would need to be insane to pic it out over the engine noise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
New 400 "Relay" Noise

Hi guys,

Anyone have any idea what causes a small click when opening and closing the throttle?

I found an old post on the Ninja 300 forum from 2015~ that posted a video to youtube with exactly the same noise that i'm hearing on my new Ninja 400, you can look at the video here;

It sounds like the same sort of click you hear when you take up the slack on the front brake and the brake light comes on.

Interestingly some people in the thread couldnt hear the clicks in the video, so whether you can hear it or not might be an age-related frequency thing. In any case, it's not annoying me as much as the high pitched vibration noise I hear from the front of the bike between 4-6krpm that I mentioned in a different thread, but it's still a bit annoying.

I don't hear it on my R3, but the R3 doesn't have an ECO light, so maybe it's a relay that is related to whether the light comes on or not.

Any random/crazy theories welcome.

Cheers

Scott

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed this too riding around... I put it down to something like a relay or other throttle-by-wire... Though I don't know how the linkages work on the Ninja? I'd be somewhat surprised if it was full electric actually, but maybe that's because I'm used to older bikes?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe it has something to do with a check valve for the emission plates or something to that effect. Since I've installed the slip on, I have noticed the exhaust sounds totally different when this relay clicks on or off on deceleration? Just my observation.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed this too riding around... I put it down to something like a relay or other throttle-by-wire... Though I don't know how the linkages work on the Ninja? I'd be somewhat surprised if it was full electric actually, but maybe that's because I'm used to older bikes?
Nah, she's got old school throttle cables this girl.

My best guess would be something along the lines of what angeldemon suggested and I reckon it is most likely the PAIR valve opening and closing. From what I know it only injects air into the exhaust ports on roll off (closed throttle) hence the repetitive clicking if you are blipping the throttle like in the clip.
Could be wrong tho, has been known to happen :smile_big:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ahh that would make sense...

·
Registered
50 Posts
(Video) High pitch noise?

Hi all,
I've been noticing the bike has some kind of high pitch whining noise sometimes when accelerating or decelerating. Bike has around 700 miles on it I think the noise started around 400 miles, just came back from 1st service but noise is still there. Dealer said it's fine?

You can hear it in the video, most noticeably around 0:16 and 0:27

1 - 20 of 137 Posts