Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I need recommendation for front and rear tyre pressures. I'm currently using 30/28 F/R. I'm using these pressure from wild guessing. However, I'd prefer tried and true poundage.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
OK guys, I need recommendation for front and rear tyre pressures. I'm currently using 30/28 F/R. I'm using these pressure from wild guessing. However, I'd prefer tried and true poundage.
It really depends what sort of tyres you are running and whether you are using warmers or not. For example I'm running 30/34 F/R in my Ninja 400 as these are OEM road going tyres but in my race bike with soft race compound tyres that are designed to be heated to 80 degrees before use I run 30/26 F/R and drop to 25 in the rear on cold days to try and get more heat into the tyre by making it flex.
So as you can see it's chalk and cheese really depending on what sort of tyres you are running?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have Michelin Pilot Road 3 now. 100% street tire.

On the street I go 2lbs less than manual, so 26 front, 30 back, measured cold. This is mainly because I'm light (150), but I don't feel much difference from the 28/32 recommended by the manual.

On track days, I'm trying lower and lower. Now I'm riding 25/25 cold and I feel it better on the corners.

·
Registered
764 Posts
How can people go less on the street I will never know, it just feels so crap when there is less, even feels more planted when i have slightly higher psi in my personal opinion. I think it depends on the bike though as with the sv1000 that I now own "yes I got another bike :/" more air feels kinda weird on it but im thinking thats just because the tyres suck

·
Registered
460 Posts
On my 300 running Supercorsa tires hot off the warmers I am 26/26, my 400 I will try 28/28 with warmers and drop down from there.

If I canyon carve I run 34/30 no warmers, get them HAWT on the street :) my front feels planted better there for some reason

If I am city riding I am 36/32 unless my wife rides with me then I go 38/36

Im 105 Kilos need the extra air lol

I never listen to the manual I ride what feels good to me when I ride

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
On my 300 running Supercorsa tires hot off the warmers I am 26/26, my 400 I will try 28/28 with warmers and drop down from there.

If I canyon carve I run 34/30 no warmers, get them HAWT on the street :) my front feels planted better there for some reason

If I am city riding I am 36/32 unless my wife rides with me then I go 38/36

Im 105 Kilos need the extra air lol

I never listen to the manual I ride what feels good to me when I ride
I see you like extra pressure in the front on the road. You dont find this gives you a hard ride with less 'feel'? I'm aware you live in a warm country though so you can probably get away with the smaller contact patch a firmer tyre has with the road. I would be too scared to run 36 or 38 in the front here in chilly Southern NZ. The tyres never get that warm.
After a fast ride yesterday with an experienced friend who had a ride on my bike as well we both agreed that 34 in the rear was a bit much and I've gone back to 32. Still keeping the front at 30 though.

·
Registered
460 Posts
@Kiwi Rider

The roads are crap here hence the reason I ride with more air in the front. I have seen guys bend rims with lower air pressure in the front. So my city riding I always put more air for the sake of my rims. The ride is a little harder but manageable.

When I hit the canyons on my bigger bikes for some reason the front just feels planted better. I have tried lower pressure and the front seems to slide. Might not have warmed up the tires enough at that time.

How are you warming your tires for canyon riding? I usually get up to higher speed and brake hard a few times to warm the front. The rear accelerate hard a few times. Is there a better way?

I couldn't imagine riding in the cold all the time. I guess it's something you get used too

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
@Kiwi Rider

The roads are crap here hence the reason I ride with more air in the front. I have seen guys bend rims with lower air pressure in the front. So my city riding I always put more air for the sake of my rims. The ride is a little harder but manageable.

When I hit the canyons on my bigger bikes for some reason the front just feels planted better. I have tried lower pressure and the front seems to slide. Might not have warmed up the tires enough at that time.

How are you warming your tires for canyon riding? I usually get up to higher speed and brake hard a few times to warm the front. The rear accelerate hard a few times. Is there a better way?

I couldn't imagine riding in the cold all the time. I guess it's something you get used too
Well when it gets real cold I just stop riding. You can ride 9 months of the year here.
I dont do anything special to warm my tyres up for the twisties but lower pressure definitely puts more heat into the tyres due to the tyre carcass flexing. Also it gives you a larger contact patch ie. more rubber on the road to give you more grip.
But if what your doing is working for you then stick with it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts