Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ah, that's handy. The tracks generally have tyre services, but they also want a bit for it, to the point where I wouldn't be much worse off just leaving them on and replacing rather than flipping multiple times. Will have a poke around and see if I can find a way to do it cheapish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. I am in the same situation. Trying to decide what tires to get for mostly trackdays and some short rides in between. I got the Ninja 400 so I wouldn't burn through tires like I used to on my 600. My first trackday on the bike last weekend, I had a flat rear tire and the tire provider only had the 110F/140R SC1 slick tires that fit the bike. After 2 days of riding I can tell that I have maybe another 2 days on them. They felt great and gave my confidence, especially since I have not been on track for 8 years.

Any other suggestions on tires that can have more life but still provide decent grip and feel? I am not trying to race, but push a bit on trackdays. Anyone can share their experience on the Michelin RS? What about the Rosso Corsa IV? Is it even worth riding on track with these tires?

PS the Q3s are not available in my area (central europe)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
If available where you live the Pirelli TD SC3 would be a good choice. Not long lived but also suitable for limited road use. The other two tires you mention would be good also but more street oriented.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Aircraft Toy airplane Monoplane Toy Aviation

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

I usually get 4 to 5 track days out of a set of Pirelli SC3. The front could probably go another day, but the upcoming track days (2 days) are going to be scorchers. The rear is pretty well toasted.

Wanted to show you the Max2h Evo2 tire changer. It used the duck bill head like a pneumatic/hydraulic changer. To break the bead I use an XB455 BeadBuster. A tire spoon is only needed to lever the bead over the head on the arm. Easiest manual machine I've used.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
View attachment 25237
View attachment 25236
View attachment 25235
I usually get 4 to 5 track days out of a set of Pirelli SC3. The front could probably go another day, but the upcoming track days (2 days) are going to be scorchers. The rear is pretty well toasted.

Wanted to show you the Max2h Evo2 tire changer. It used the duck bill head like a pneumatic/hydraulic changer. To break the bead I use an XB455 BeadBuster. A tire spoon is only needed to lever the bead over the head on the arm. Easiest manual machine I've used.
That front really doesn’t look too bad. It’s all the gum balls you picked up on pit in make it look worse than it really is. But I do see some minor tearing in the braking zone which is pretty unusual. If I were to guess it looks like you aren’t using warmers and not letting the tires come up to temp before hammering it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That front really doesn’t look too bad. It’s all the gum balls you picked up on pit in make it look worse than it really is. But I do see some minor tearing in the braking zone which is pretty unusual. If I were to guess it looks like you aren’t using warmers and not letting the tires come up to temp before hammering it.
Yeah I'm not worried about the gumballs picked up. I probably could have run them, but the temps were over 110 and the tarmac even hotter. I do have tire warmers and should use them... But the tires haven't given me any bad feedback in the warm weather on first laps.

Reactions: misnblu
21 - 27 of 27 Posts