Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to install the new TST frame slider on the left side of my bike last night and pow the charcoal canister is right in the way. So I'm like what the heck? So I look on their site and sure enough there is a warning about it. Then I come here and do a search and yep, a bunch of threads on the charcoal canister. Bums me out. So it looks like there are a few options:

1. Remove the charcoal canister and use the resistor plug thing available online. Seems easy enough but sounds like there are possible issues with the check engine light (CEL) maybe not...
2. Relocate the charcoal canister somehow with a different/fabbed bracket. Looks like there is room in there possibly.
3. Fab up a new bracket for the frame slider with an offset to allow for the charcoal canister. Would need to have a bump out and back in to use the provided TST spacer rods.

Extending the provided dowels out far enough so that the bracket clears the CC causes the bracket to hit the fairing. This would be an easy fix if that weren't the case.

I'm not wild about removing the charcoal canister, and maybe I don't know enough about it but wouldn't that cause issues with gas dripping or gas smell? Or performance? I know some bikes don't come with them so maybe it's not a big deal and I'm making too much of it. I'm a little disappointed TST doesn't make this more clear, and/or have a different bracket that takes care of this. I'm gonna call them today and see what they say.

Saw Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bicycle part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK.. well maybe I should look a little closer at their website before I jump to conclusions. Apparently there is a video RIGHT NEXT to the frame slider install video that explains how they solve this issue. Basically they suggest removing the canister bracket entirely and zip tying it to the frame. Looks like that will work and probably what I'll do. I still kinda like the offset bracket idea though.

Anyways..

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just remove it, they're for getting the bike basically into the US for dealers to sell. They don't do anything really other than catch any spilt or condensate fuel, and are basically dead after a couple years anyway. It's just adding unnecessary weight and reducing your access to and increasing times to work on the bike.
OK, what do I do with the hoses that go to it and won't the ECU complain?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts