Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
The following is a procedure I found to be the quickest way to diagnose a no start. When a bike came into the shop with a no start I would first take a look at the overall condition. If no serious crash damage or evidence of tampering, I would do the following. Check for fuel in the tank, check that kill switch is in run position, key switch on, attempt to start. No start, remove plugs and put a FEW drops of fuel directly into cylinder, replace plugs, open throttle slightly and attempt start. If it fires you have proven that spark, compression, and cam timing are at least close enough for the engine to run and that your primary reason for no start is lack of fuel. A few drops means a few drops, too much fuel and you will hydro lock the engine. I have found that most no starts are fuel related, should the engine not fire with the direct addition of fuel the next steps would be in order, check spark, compression, cam timing. Note: if this is a new acquisition smell the fuel, gasoline deteriorates at fairly rapid pace, old fuel will not burn.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
897 Posts
Can you recommend one? I don't know where to get it.
Walmart has them in their electrical section and tool section as does ace hardware.
Even the auto parts dealers carry a variety of meters in a relatively cheap price for a quality piece. 👍

·
Registered
669 Posts
Will be easiest if anyone can drop a link to buy them online.

Anyhow after further research regarding the issue I believe it's either the battery or the starter relay.

I could not find it on the bike diagrams, but I belive the model is SMU6143 which sales for about 16$ besides shipping from various vendors. If I got this right Kawi's MPN is 27010-0099, which sales for like a 100$+ .

I don't think there's any major difference besides labeling in the end. Feel free to add your thoughts

PS when I activated the battery I did so according to all the instructions, gave it time to sit, charge, etc... I charged it yesterday as well with a smart charger, will see it how goes but I don't mind having an extra relay on me just in case

·
Registered
926 Posts
Can you recommend one? I don't know where to get it.
A simple digital display voltmeter. Some fleabay USB ports come with a voltmeter built in that you connect to the bike's auxiliary DC port. I use a Koso voltmeter. I think it's the mini version, with the blue text.
Not to be confused with a multimeter, which is a tool to check voltage, current, ohms, etc.

Reactions: Teorist

·
Registered
669 Posts
Well since I don't belive it's a battery issue, i'll be going for the starter relay. OEM one costs over a 100$ and is on backorder. For now I ordered some chinese ('DB Electerical') aftermarket one for 1/4 the price that will arrive quicker. I kept having problems today as well but it started with the clutch. Going over the manual it seems like having an access to the relay requires to take off the tank which is some work and then some, so I can't really 'hot wire' it if I get stranded. Lets see how well I will hold up....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok will check the battery as from your recommendation lats hope that is it as the starter turns like a charm so rhay y I thort it can not be the battery but lat me give that a try firs and see thank you for you in put
Hi so I
A weak, or bad battery and or bad connections can cause a variety of weird seemingly unrelated problems. The ECU doesn't see things as normal and it can do strange things. The battery on my '19 Z barely made it a year.
🐉
Hi so I Checked the battry and it was fine the problem was the Accessories fuse was gone and when I replace the fuse all the starting problem when away but just for extra masher i took out the battery and cleaned the negative terminal as it had battery Corrusion on the negeteve terminal as well but thank you for the help 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽 at lest we found the problem

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
553 Posts
That's curious -- I always run without the accessory fuse (#4) in fuse box #2 -- because its presence makes hotwiring the bike easier.

I've never had a problem.

Do you have anything connected to the accessory terminals (front or rear), or have you installed an accessory relay?

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's curious -- I always run without the accessory fuse (#4) in fuse box #2 -- because its presence makes hotwiring the bike easier.

I've never had a problem.

Do you have anything connected to the accessory terminals (front or rear), or have you installed an accessory relay?
So I have a usb charger in the front and I have the accessory relay Installed

But when I change the blown fuse all my problems whent away and now bike 100%🙂

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
553 Posts
Wow, I would have thought with the fuse blown, the relay output and usb charger would just have been completely disabled, and have no effect.

This is definitely puzzling.

Glad you found the issue -- I just wish I could understand it! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, I would have thought with the fuse blown, the relay output and usb charger would just have been completely disabled, and have no effect.

This is definitely puzzling.

Glad you found the issue -- I just wish I could understand it! :)
🤣🤣🤣 maybe there sumthing that haponde in the proses of replacing the fuse and a loos wier or sumthing that got reconnected or sumthing and must have got back In To place when I opened up the side 🤷🏽‍♂️🙂🙂 as it now working well 👍🏽 may be it just a luck thing 😀😀

·
Registered
669 Posts
So today I tried to fire the bike up after it has been sitting a few days.

Kickstand down and in neutral - fired right up with no issue.

This is very puzzling for me, if you followed my recent posts in this thread and the video I posted.

OEM and a chinese starter relay is on their way (Yes, I ordered 2 for the heck of it) and it will take some time to arrive. I really doubt that is the issue though. If it was it, wouldn't it be giving me problem all the time?

There are motorcycles that go twice and triple the amount of mileage i've put on this bike for alot more years without the relay going bad. What are the odds this is it?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Okay so for those interested to know,

I've got the relays, chinese first and OEM after. I did not want to put the chinese relay eventually. At the same moment I thought it's more likely to be the battery than the relay, it's just a 4 year old bike.

Called the shop which I bought the battery from, they agreed to send me a new one free of charge as I still have it under warranty. At that time I got the OEM relay. Changed the battery and activated it myself, been back on riding the bike for a week now, 0 problems since.

I still have both the relays in box. Both cost me about 125~ USD together, no big deal, as they fit other Kawasakis too and not just the 400 so I guess keeping them would come in handy in the future.

TL;DR, If you are having problem starting but when you hold the clutch it starts, odds are it's the battery.

In the pictures, OEM relay in a closed plastic bag and chinese below it. Notice the difference.

Hood Rectangle Electronic device Automotive lighting Auto part
Gesture Finger Gadget Wrist Thumb

41 - 55 of 55 Posts