Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first time posting. Have a 2019 bike (no ABS) that's always had some issues starting. Mechanic refused to check it out or even run diagnostics earlier on, so... now it's become a problem (like I thought it would) and pretty much on my own here. I was having issues but was starting up after a couple tries, then I got covid and was bedridden for four weeks. Now my bike won't start at all, no matter what. I don't want to have to tow it to the mechanic's so... trying to solve this myself (though I know little about mechanics)

So: Key into ignition, turn on kill switch, hit the start button. Usually there's a whirring sound when I turn on the kill switch, but occasionally there is not. (Not sure why this is inconsistent?) When I hit the start button, nothing. Occasionally it clicks.

My research indicated that it might be the starter relay, and I went in to my bike and can't find anything that looks like it? Battery is fine, I uninstalled and it's charging just in case but so far there's no indication there's any issue with the battery.

I took a pic of the inside after removing the battery, saw some electrical looking things? but they don't look like the starter relays I saw online? And also linked vid to me trying to start my poor bike (please forgive the dirtiness, it's an outdoor bike on a dusty street :( no garage)

I'm not technical at all but trying to learn more about my bike and I follow along well with clear instruction. So if anyone has knowledge about (where the starter relay even is? how to get to it?) and what I can do about it, I would be very grateful.

Video: Pictures of Inside? Is this related to the starter?:
https://imgur.com/Go8ppAX

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey y'all, sorry for late response! It turns out it was just the battery. I had my old battery recharged and it appeared fine, but then power would not go to the bike at all. I tried the suggestions, made sure bike was in neutral, tried with clutch pulled in, without side stand down etc. But didn't have to get it towed thankfully --- also learned a lot from the responses here. Got a new battery and starts like a charm.

And yeah, it does look like finger jiu jitsu! 😂 By the time I decided to make a video and post about it was very frustrated, lol. Glad to see it wasn't really a big issue at all! And had no clue you didn't actually need to **** with the kill engine switch to turn the bike on --- that's just how I'd always done it. Thanks guys for all the input.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts