Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

Transmission Pattern

10K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  NinjaBird 
#1 ·
Hello there guys I am about to purchase my 1st Motorcycle the 400 Ninja with ABS to be exact. I have driven a manual Class A Tractor Trailer and it was a manual. But I want to know the Transmission Pattern and what gear does what speed. Thank You

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Congratulations!

You can find this and a lot more in the owners manual which is online (hopefully the link works -- you might have to provide an e-mail address):

Here's the page with the gear pattern and shift points:

The max speed in gears is a lot higher than the shift points shown above...

You can also find the gearing ratios in that manual as well.

At redline, the numbers work out to (I ran them by hand -- hopefully all right!):

1st gear -- 45 mph, 72 km/hr
2nd gear -- 64 mph, 103 km/hr
3rd gear -- 81 mph, 131 km/hr
4th gear -- 99 mph, 159 km/hr
5th gear -- 114 mph, 184 km/hr
6th gear -- 127mph, 205 km/hr (you likely won't reach this :))

Have fun, ride safe!

PS it looks like the redline numbers above are optimistic by maybe 3% or so, as they do not take into account tire sag, which decreases the effective loaded radius of the tire.

#4 ·
Definitely you're going to want to do a safety course and watch a bunch of these https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+ride+a+motorcycle

No offense intended, because that question is kind of an "Eeek!" question, like someone owning a gun and asking where the bullets come out.
Motorcycles have all had the same shift patterns for decades.

#7 ·
Welcome!

Your question implies that you haven't taken a basic motorcycle safety course. I'm not here to nag, but motorcycle riding in traffic requires more than just knowing how to operate the beast. There's a lot to MC riding that isn't obvious for even proficient car drivers. The basic safety course offered in the US also teaches strategies for dealing with hazards and traffic, which are actually more important than just how the bike works. It's a minimal course compared to some other countries, but you'll learn enough to save yourself.

But it's also a continuous learning process. I've liked YouTube's MCrider, and I found Roadcraft Nottingham had a very useful, but older, video on lane positioning for blind curvy roads and traffic situations where a motorcycle may be hidden from other motorists.

#8 ·
Chris, my two cents on your new motorcycle experience: These rules have always proven accurate.

1. Ride like nobody sees you. Ever. This means position yourself where you 'can be seen', but do not expect anyone to actually see you. I do not mean ride slow. I mean ride responsibly for your conditions, abilities, and risk level you are willing to accept.

2. It is ALWAYS your fault. Even if the law and insurance does not find you at fault. This mean you could likely have payed closer attention to the real world clues, or your riding habits, and adjusted better so the 'incident' never happens/ed. Of course there are always exceptions, but this approach means YOU take responsibility.

I have never taken an MSF, but it IS a fast track to better knowledge and awareness. Highly recommended.

And most importantly, enjoy! Your new 400 is a fantastic choice. First, second, or nth motorcycle. It is a fabulous moto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.