Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys IM really thinkiing about trading in the ninja 400 for a zx 6r brand new :( only have 1600 miles on her please help:crying:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Guys IM really thinkiing about trading in the ninja 400 for a zx 6r brand new :( only have 1600 miles on her please help:crying:
It's cool if you have the means like another had posted. I want another one but the insurance is 2500 a year for me with a perfect record. That's all I have to think about when I get the itch. That 636 is definitely a rush.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's cool if you have the means like another had posted. I want another one but the insurance is 2500 a year for me with a perfect record. That's all I have to think about when I get the itch. That 636 is definitely a rush.
im in chicago so can only ride for like 4-5 months so insurnace is not bad here especially with libality only

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yup, if you have the means to do it, go for it. For me the insurance more than triples if I go above 400cc. So for me the ninja 400 is perfect. I'll just do a bunch of mods/weight reduction and let er rip.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You have to hand out a little more info than please help... Like what do you need help with exactly..?

You do know the ZX 6R and this 400 are not in the same ball-park, that being said most people find the weight to power ratio of a 600 a perfect match, there not to heavy to throw around and have plenty of balls to kick start your heart..

When you first ride ZX 6R or any 600 class bike you will understand the term crotch rocket if you haven't rode one. Personally I don't think the 400 is the perfect match for the entry level riders, Its much too quick for new riders that don't have the patients to learn street sense - Id say its the perfect 2nd street bike. My basis for this is not how fast the bike can go but how quickly it gets there.

A 600 is a different animal, and can plant you in a brick fence or the side of a car in 3 seconds if you don't have 100% control of the bike and know what your doing. what I'm saying here is if your the type that has little self control the 600 will fill the mistake void much quicker then the 400.

If you have good self control with good road sense and your not abusive with power you can absolutely ride a 600, and you can really tell your on a machine with the 600 class and higher - they run much smoother, the 4 cylinders love higher Rpm's there is lots more to love.

If you have a specific questions ask away.. What ever you do man don't ride over your abilities and be safe..!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Where is it coming from? are you having isssues with the 400 that makes you think about this or simply the desire for more power?

Yup, if you have the means to do it, go for it. For me the insurance more than triples if I go above 400cc. So for me the ninja 400 is perfect. I'll just do a bunch of mods/weight reduction and let er rip.

How is the insurance rates in your country and where do you live? Here (Israel) there are 3 classes:

up to 50cc - which no one ever uses
50cc to 250cc - as being a rider on a CBR125 for 2 years, Insurance for me 20 years old 2 years of exprience clean record is 3500ILS which is about.. 1000USD per year I guess?

251 cc and above - 1000ILS more per year on average.
Meaning insurance for the 400 and a liter bike is the same...lmao

·
Registered
460 Posts
If it's your 1st bike I say stick with it. IDK how old you are just don't let peer pressure get in your head that your not on a 600 or 1000cc. The little 400 is very mighty very light and easy to control.

As others have said the 600 is a different animal. I'm 50 years old I have owned many different bikes in all sizes over the years, my Honda 250r still puts the biggest smile on my face. We have many twisties here that I love to play on, especially if I find guys on 600 or 1000cc bikes. Let them pass you on the straights, catch and pass them on the turns :)

It's up to you though. Really think about why you want a bigger bike. Only you know the answer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it's your 1st bike I say stick with it. IDK how old you are just don't let peer pressure get in your head that your not on a 600 or 1000cc. The little 400 is very mighty very light and easy to control.

As others have said the 600 is a different animal. I'm 50 years old I have owned many different bikes in all sizes over the years, my Honda 250r still puts the biggest smile on my face. We have many twisties here that I love to play on, especially if I find guys on 600 or 1000cc bikes. Let them pass you on the straights, catch and pass them on the turns :)

It's up to you though. Really think about why you want a bigger bike. Only you know the answer.
I am 18

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
... don't let peer pressure get in your head that your not on a 600 or 1000cc.

... my Honda 250r still puts the biggest smile on my face.
... What ever you do man don't ride over your abilities and be safe..!
Because your 18 and I'm 48 I have quoted the bits that I think are important from riding bikes for 30 years longer than you. :D

But I was 18 once too and in that year I jumped from a 200cc trail bike to a Honda V4 750cc. The difference perhaps was that I was quite clear in my mind what I wanted to do. (much to my parents anguish!)
That you are asking us for 'help' is a little concerning.
What is your main reason for wanting to step up from the 400?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because your 18 and I'm 48 I have quoted the bits that I think are important from riding bikes for 30 years longer than you. :D

But I was 18 once too and in that year I jumped from a 200cc trail bike to a Honda V4 750cc. The difference perhaps was that I was quite clear in my mind what I wanted to do. (much to my parents anguish!)
That you are asking us for 'help' is a little concerning.
What is your main reason for wanting to step up from the 400?
I just want the bigger bike look and sound and speed :grin:

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you have to ask or need help in determining whether to stick with a 400 vs a 600. You already have your anwser. Which is, stick with the 400 for another riding season and then look at trading in. If you felt you were ready to move on you wouldnt have to ask you would know. No one will validate that for you. Keep in mind the insurace, type of riding and traveling you do. The 400 is much more than a starter bike. It can keep up with the bigger dogs at highway speeds. I live close to Metro Atlanta which is a 65-70 mph highway and I can do 80 mph no problem. Then again i do mostly weekend riding. Either way stay safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fair enough but just realise that your gonna have to treat a 600 four with a whole lot more respect to stay safe.
Your talking nearly 3 x the HP's of the N400 :surprise:
just got done riding with the chicago united riders and a girl on a 600 passed me now im totally trading it in haha :(((

·
Registered
656 Posts
just got done riding with the chicago united riders and a girl on a 600 passed me now im totally trading it in haha :(((
Dude I feel your pain... Having a Girl pass you on a 600 is crazy embarrassing...

I had a Honda CB754 In high school at 16. Today any 600 would smoke it... But if you want to impress the ladies your guna need a Honda 600RR - Lightest 417 lb, fastest 0-60 2.9 seconds, most reliability and it the most comfortable of the 600s in my opinion.

Not to mention if you get the Ninja ZX-6R and a girl passes you riding a ZX-6R cause shes lighter will be even more embarrassing, If you hope to keep up your only chance will be on the 600RR.

Let Us know if you catch her..! Be safe man.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Fair enough but just realise that your gonna have to treat a 600 four with a whole lot more respect to stay safe.
Your talking nearly 3 x the HP's of the N400 :surprise:
No kiwi a R6 makes 100hp to the rear wheel, while a ninja 400 makes 50hp to the wheel aka double, though dont forget a r6 is much heavier. I know my first year of riding after a couple thousand miles on my old 250 I thought I was Rossi himself and thought I knew it all..HA. Try this, get your 600 take it to the twisties and watch girls on 300's pass you, always be prepared man, a motorcycle is not a toy and buying one for "speed" at 18 years old I can only wish you luck, All this coming from someone who lost his license at 19, looking back now I know I was a idiot and im glad I lost it because I know if I didn't then I would have died. I haven't got a ticket since.

·
Registered
764 Posts
All that being said, I would go for a R6 with abs, mainly due to the power band being more beginner friendly, though I do agree a 600rr is my personal pick though. Oh and did the math :) my ninja 400 is roughly 60% power to weight to that of a 2017 r6.

·
Registered
656 Posts
All that being said, I would go for a R6 with abs, mainly due to the power band being more beginner friendly, though I do agree a 600rr is my personal pick though. Oh and did the math :) my ninja 400 is roughly 60% power to weight to that of a 2017 r6.
Do the math on an 600RR - the 400s only 50% the weight to power ratio..

Ninja 400 - 44 Hp 370 lbs wet = 8.4 hp per lb.
Honda 600RR - 100 hp 417 lbs wet = 4.2 Hp per lb.

100% more Hp by weight... Its a sick ride - He'll never out grow it.

Thats what ill be getting soon as my street legs are fully back. :grin: When I had kids I gave up street bikes for dirt and now have to relearn the streets again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I personally would advise against it specially reading your other comments about the subject. (A girl passed me oh no! etc.) I can see myself this being my first bike wanting something more at some point. I don't think I'll ever get a SuperSport (600cc, 1000cc etc.) but I can see myself in a Ninja 650, FZ07, etc. Something with bigger output/Hp but not in the same class as the SuperSports.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts