Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a track day scheduled with N2 on August 11th and I'm not going to run the stock tires. I would like to know what you all are running on your 400s for those who do track days, anyone?

TIA!! :grin:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I run pirelli super corsa 140/70. Mainly as that's what's available. I like the 140 over the 150 feels like I get more lean out of the tires. If you don't have tire warmers make sure you warm your tires before you do hard leaning. Enjoy your track day, it's easy to get addicted to the track. Your safe, no on coming traffic to worry about. If you have abs you might want to pull the fuse use mainly front brakes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey @SouthernRider22 - how'd your track day go?

I did my first track day on the Ninja 400 at Sonoma Raceway on Tuesday (happened to be on my birthday so I figured I *had* to do it) and the bike was fantastic. It pulls much more strongly above 8 - 9000 RPMs than I expected and felt really solid on the track with the exception of a slight bit of steering wobble during hard acceleration in 2nd & 3rd gear. The Dunlop Q3 Plusses (110 front, 150 rear) were awesome. They warmed up quickly, felt very stable at 90+ mph, and never felt like they were going to surprise me with a slip or any weird behavior. Definitely inspired confidence. After running the bike hard for seven 20-minute sessions, I put the mirrors back on, plugged the rear lights back in, and had a great ride back to San Francisco without an issue. Awesome little bike.

It was particularly rewarding as the day progressed to start passing riders on much bigger bikes who were a lot faster than me earlier in the day when I was getting warmed up. Can't wait to get back out on a track soon. If you've never done a track day and are considering it but are a bit nervous, pull the trigger and go for it. You'll meet some fantastic people, learn some new skills at your own pace, and have a blast.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts