Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
How do you prepare?
I keep myself in shape--gotta be healthy enough to stay alert this long, I also make certain that my bike is in top running order or have any overdue maintenance taken care of before the ride, I watch the weather from several points along the ride, and I preplan the route.

When I plan the route, I look for gas stations that will be open, or at least have 24/7 automatic pumps. As proving that you rode the route taken, the IBA principally relies on dated, timed receipts which also show the address. The receipts should also be in locations on your route which show that you didn't take any short cuts--get proof in the "corners" for a route that isn't a straight line. I have used paper maps or even just notes about where to stop for gas before. This time I used a Beeline navigator and put my 12 planned stops into its memory so it was all there while I rode. I usually try to avoid big cities due to traffic, but here I knew that Chicago would be quick because I'd be getting there fairly late at night.

The weather can vary greatly on such a long ride, so I plan for layers that can be removed or added and luggage to carry any extra stuff. I brought both my warm and cold weather gloves on this trip, and used both. Rainproof gear or a rain suit are also helpful.

I also carry some small tools to deal with little problems, haven't really had any, and I always carry a tire plug kit. I also have the power port on Ninjette Noire, and used it to keep my phone topped off. And I linked my phone's location to my wife's phone through our Google accounts so she could be reassured that I was still moving and not in a ditch somewhere. :)

Keeping your health up is important. Dehydration is a threat even if the temps are reasonable. Light snacks and regular water or pop will keep you going. Any sign of tiredness can indicate a need for water or food. Plan to stop and get a room rather than get groggy and crash. I figure that I can always try again.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The Ortlieb saddlebags now have a small tear along a seam, and are showing some heat damage from the exhaust. I'm maybe gonna rethink them.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I'm replacing the Ortlieb saddlebags. I've purchased a Kriega US40 Rackpack that will work with my existing Kriega stuff.

The Rackpack is a 40 liter drybag that opens at both ends, and allows other Kriega bags to be attached.

Shoe Glove Gadget Camera Font

Brown Wood Rectangle Textile Grey

It came with the new-school hooks that get attached to loops that are installed on the subframe and stuck out from under the pillion seat. But for now I'm gonna attach it with my old-school underseat straps and use the new hooked straps to attach an extra bag. This is because extra hooked straps are not available right now and the new bag is designed so that additional bags have to be mounted with hook straps. I have enough extra straps from my US40 Combo for this to work (the US40 Combo is three bags, one 20 liters and two 10 liters).

I'll try to stuff it full and take a picture of it on Ninjette Noire.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Here's a pic of the Rackpack, and a pic of the Rackpack and the 20 liter drybag together.

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

It feels very secure on the bike. I'm hoping that it'll do the job. We'll see on the next trip!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts