Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing this clip is authentic, looks to have been filmed on a Bangkok motorway in Thailand.
195 Kph is pretty impressive, Speedo perhaps reading a little fast as they all do, but it's still fast.
I will do a run with a GPS when I get mine and get an actual reading.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm guessing this clip is authentic, looks to have been filmed on a Bangkok motorway in Thailand.
195 Kph is pretty impressive, Speedo perhaps reading a little fast as they all do, but it's still fast.
I will do a run with a GPS when I get mine and get an actual reading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlrCNMmaW-M
:surprise::surprise: I will definately inform the local Police when you plan to make that top speed run....:devil:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Never understood the top speed fascination with smaller bikes ... my only real world concern is, how long does it take to get to about 80 mph. Yeah, needs GPS verification -- my Ninja 250 was off by 10%!

Yeah it's a croc tho. It's the Ninja 650 which has the same instrument cluster. You will notice they never show the bike in the clip.
Oh yah, I think the lower red line was the give away also on that one. Someone pointed it out, and the poster disabled comments.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never understood the top speed fascination with smaller bikes ... my only real world concern is, how long does it take to get to about 80 mph. Yeah, needs GPS verification -- my Ninja 250 was off by 10%!
I feel safer and more in control winding a small bike right out because your still doing a relatively sane speed where you (hopefully) have time to react to any unforeseen events that unfold in front of you. Unlike a liter bike where your pulling something crazy like 200MPH+ :eek:

Cant do much about the flashing red and blue lights in the mirrors tho! :D

10% of 195 is just under 20kph so that means only 175Kph actual perhaps. Hmmm... we will have to look into this.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My only real world concern is, how long does it take to get to about 80 mph.
lol life is better when your older, I get the same thrill now doing 60 Mph as I did when I was 16 doing 145.. I think you nailed it - its how long it takes to get to 80, anything less then that and your at the mercy of traffic on the freeways.

I've ridden my 250 on the freeway only a couple times, After 50 Mph you have little reserve power, 60 Mph next to none but you keep pushing to 70 to keep up with traffic, and only change lanes if theres no one coming up behind you, cause your not accelerating past anyone at this point - just plain scary.

I'm hoping the 400 will be the sweet spot between my 250 and 600, Enough power to ride safe on the freeways but short on additional power for showing off :)

In the video above he gets to 75 mph @ 7 sec, His reserve power starts tapering off at about 95 Mph @ 12 sec, is gone at about 105 Mph @ 16 sec, and is just pushing it the rest of the way to 118 Mph @ 30 sec. Looks good to me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
lol life is better when your older, I get the same thrill now doing 60 Mph as I did when I was 16 doing 145.. I think you nailed it - its how long it takes to get to 80, anything less then that and your at the mercy of traffic on the freeways.

I've ridden my 250 on the freeway only a couple times, After 50 Mph you have little reserve power, 60 Mph next to none but you keep pushing to 70 to keep up with traffic, and only change lanes if theres no one coming up behind you, cause your not accelerating past anyone at this point - just plain scary.

I'm hoping the 400 will be the sweet spot between my 250 and 600, Enough power to ride safe on the freeways but short on additional power for showing off :)

In the video above he gets to 75 mph @ 7 sec, His reserve power starts tapering off at about 95 Mph @ 12 sec, is gone at about 105 Mph @ 16 sec, and is just pushing it the rest of the way to 118 Mph @ 30 sec. Looks good to me.
Take this with a grain of salt

Im a newer rider, just got my first service done friday, i was riding home on the mexican freeway known as eye ninty5. Its in mexico trust me.

Traffic there averages 75ish. I was pushing 85, whenever i got in a situation i did not like, i pulled (in 6th) and seemed to get to 95 than 105 without much problems. I stopped myself there because i normally got rid of whomever or whatever i was trying to get away from.

I am also plenty over 300lb. So im sure it would be quicker if i was 100+lb lighter.

This bike goes fast enough to get away from most cars. I know with me on it i think it gets up to 85 in around 8 sec or so, maybe less.

But also note im 6ft tall, at around 80ish+ it gets squirrelly wind wise. Get pushed around alot, even tucked. Even though a tuck helps alot. You might want a taller windscreen or a fairly good aero helmet if your gonna be doing 80+.

·
Registered
178 Posts
275 lbs suited, with a 3XL jacket....showing 119 mph on the speedo.

No easy break-ins around here. :)

I've been a little faster on it, clicking into 6th, but I was fighting a quartering headwind. I wear a 3XL jacket...so I am about as aero as a tour bus...lol. The bike is definitely an over-achiever!

I have been 207 mph on my 14R, at the Land Speed track...but that is with 1.5 miles of run up.
Should add, that is my best speed. On the limiter in 5th is 113.3 mph.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt

Im a newer rider, just got my first service done friday, i was riding home on the mexican freeway known as eye ninty5. Its in mexico trust me.

Traffic there averages 75ish. I was pushing 85, whenever i got in a situation i did not like, i pulled (in 6th) and seemed to get to 95 than 105 without much problems. I stopped myself there because i normally got rid of whomever or whatever i was trying to get away from.

I am also plenty over 300lb. So im sure it would be quicker if i was 100+lb lighter.

This bike goes fast enough to get away from most cars. I know with me on it i think it gets up to 85 in around 8 sec or so, maybe less.

But also note im 6ft tall, at around 80ish+ it gets squirrelly wind wise. Get pushed around alot, even tucked. Even though a tuck helps alot. You might want a taller windscreen or a fairly good aero helmet if your gonna be doing 80+.
I'm 5'7 and 165lbs, I'm about half your weight so this should be interesting once I get it broke in.

My max speed ever was in 1978 - 145 Mph on my Honda 754 when I was 16 for 1 minute, I thought to my self what if my tire blows and chickened out. Really I just want to get to 70 quickly and have a little power to spare for passing, So 80/90 should be the fastest I need to go. I wont be testing the 400s max speed ever, Ill leave that to you guys..!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
... at around 80ish+ it gets squirrelly wind wise. Get pushed around alot, even tucked. Even though a tuck helps alot. You might want a taller windscreen or a fairly good aero helmet if your gonna be doing 80+.
Yeah I had this same issue recently in strong winds and it surprised me. The stock screen really is quite low. With my CBR I could get right down behind it and cheat the buffeting. I was looking at a '16 model ZX-10R at the track yst and their screens are low too.

I'm real keen to do a top speed run, I've just got to get a free weekend morning that's calm wind wise.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Im 6'2" 240 lbs fastest I have seen was 185 KPH or 115 MPH, full throttle tucked. On my recent track outing on the straight I hit top at 155 KPH or 97 MPH before having to drop down 3 gears to enter turn 1.

All of my top speed runs where done in Mexico also :angel:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
275 lbs suited, with a 3XL jacket....showing 119 mph on the speedo.
So that's 191 kph indicated, SDM got 185 and the guy on Youtube got 195 after a long time and possibly a change in gradient. Interesting stuff. Will have to book my passage to Mexico! :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
So that's 191 kph indicated, SDM got 185 and the guy on Youtube got 195 after a long time and possibly a change in gradient. Interesting stuff. Will have to book my passage to Mexico! :D
I have been doing land speed racing since 2007, as a hobby. There are a few tricks to help with your tuck, and in this case, I also turned the mirrors in for the 114.8 run. I am sure that many others will go faster than me; I am just too big to get out of the wind on this bike.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been doing land speed racing since 2007, as a hobby. There are a few tricks to help with your tuck, and in this case, I also turned the mirrors in for the 114.8 run. I am sure that many others will go faster than me; I am just too big to get out of the wind on this bike.
Great hobby! When I did the top speed run on my CBR300 I removed the mirrors completely, along with the number plate. :D
Hopefully this weekend I get it done. Oh yeah, I also increased my tire pressures. Is this the correct thing to do?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great hobby! When I did the top speed run on my CBR300 I removed the mirrors completely, along with the number plate. :D
Hopefully this weekend I get it done. Oh yeah, I also increased my tire pressures. Is this the correct thing to do?
Well higher tire pressure = less friction. Just becareful easier blow out too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Had no idea there were videos already of people hitting these kinds of top speeds. I'm going to leave it to you guys to determine whether or not +115mph is actually attainable.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Had no idea there were videos already of people hitting these kinds of top speeds. I'm going to leave it to you guys to determine whether or not +115mph is actually attainable.
It is obtainable I seen it with my own eyes

1 - 20 of 100 Posts