Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Just a quick ride today. I could swear the lady at the gas station hit on me. Or maybe at my advanced age that was just my wishful thinking. :) Anyhow......
Sky Cloud Plant Tree Road surface

Tree Sky Road surface Asphalt Natural landscape

Long time ago in a year now far far away... an MSF instructor said that a bunch of skid marks just before an intersection, a crosswalk, or even someone's driveway is an indication of a dangerous place. Doesn't matter why. What matters is for the rider to understand those skid marks are a heads up to be more careful. Well I'd like to add skid marks just before, or in the middle of, a curve is also a heads up that there just might be something slippery in there....

All thoughts of playing were dropped when I saw these marks. I didn't find anything slippery in this curve so I sincerely hope these single track marks across the center line aren't an indication that someone on a bike came in the curve just a bit too hot.
Plant Sky Road surface Tree Natural landscape

I know that is just me trying to interpret some marks on the pavement but regardless of what happened hopefully it's just skid marks and no injuries for anyone.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Some pics from today's ride:
Sky Plant Cloud Motor vehicle Tree

Downtown. Vassar is a small town. Kinda like Barney Fife's Mayberry. However, there are 4 pot shops in that small town.
Car Building Window Cloud Wheel

Then there is Frankenmuth. I gotta say that Frankenmuth sure has some beautiful parks.
Water Cloud Sky Plant Building

I noticed this little tractor and some dirt at the top of a hill so I slowed down and...
Plant Road surface Asphalt Tree Land lot

...sure enough this little surprise was on the other side of that hill.
Road surface Plant Tree Natural landscape Asphalt

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Talked with a road worker this morning during my ride. He let me know that one of my favorite roads has fallen victim to the hot tar and gravel (chip seal) treatment. Well that set of curves is off limits for the rest of the summer. Gotta wait for traffic and snow plows to push those gravel marbles off the road. Unfortunately it appears from the signs it is just a matter of time before the rest of my nice roads are going to be messed up too.😡

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Did you ever realize you should have taken your other bike instead? Well there is a road a ways away from me that I haven't ridden in weeks. And I made the mistake of taking the other bike (the one with a 70mph top speed and no power pulling out of a curve) and leaving my Ninja home. Didn't take long for me to realize some roads and some bikes just "fit" and today I took the bike that didn't "fit" the road.

It's not that I didn't enjoy the ride because I did but had I taken the right bike it would have been a whole lot more fun. But at least there wasn't any chip seal on the road!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
On this Independence day some folks will shoot off fireworks, some will spend the day in the pool, some will take the family to the lake, some will have a picnic, some will sample a few adult beverages (please STAY HOME!), and I went for a ride.

Interesting uphill in the middle of a curve. I enjoy this curve even though I'm always apprehensive of what might be on the other side.
Road surface Tree Asphalt Plant Tints and shades

Beware! There be deer lurking here!
Road surface Natural landscape Asphalt Wood Plant

Then there is that moment when one must decide to either let off a bit while there is still time or just go for it.
Road surface Asphalt Plant Tree Thoroughfare

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Went out to play with my other not a Ninja bike. Going down an arrow straight main road with visibility of at least a mile I met a long line of oncoming cars. And some large chunk of fecal matter in a pickup truck decided to jump out of that line to pass them all and then discovered there was a motorcycle in the way. I dove to the side and we missed each other by inches. I hope he looked in his rearview mirror to see the one finger salute I awarded him. But I still managed to have some fun tilting the horizon.....
Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape Road surface

And then there is the curve that threw me down the road breaking ribs and ankles last November.
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Road surface

It's not a particularily sharp curve nor is it super bumpy although farmers do tend to drag dirt into it. But judging from the skidmark someone else also had a problem there recently. I will admit I was more than apprehensive bordering on a little frightened the first time through after healing up. It takes me a conscious effort to set that aside, not ignore that it happened but not let it consume my thoughts, and just ride the darn curve already. That old saying about getting back on the horse after being thrown kinda thing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Not sure who was more surprised when I came around a curve to find this bird flapping his wings for all he was worth. I know I was glad he didn't have diarrhea!!!
Plant Sky Road surface Asphalt Watercraft

And I visited my old home town of Chesaning Mi.. Chesaning used to be known for all the famous folks who performed on Chesaning's Showboat before the festival went bankrupt. My sons and I always enjoyed doing motorcycle stunts in the festival's parade.
Sky Street light Road surface Asphalt Tar

61 - 80 of 111 Posts