Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rather than start a new discussion every time I go for a ride I'll just add rides to this one. Hope that's OK with y'all. Let me know if not.

Took a quick and somewhat spirited ride on my favorite roads today. A fair amount of curves and only a couple had dirt in them. My Ninja slipped just a little on the dirt and gravel then carried on with no fan fare. Silly car drivers can't seem to keep their wheels out of the dirt. On the best part of the ride where there are 5 curves in about a half mile with perfect pavement I came upon another rider going very slow. I was riding a bit quicker :rolleyes: than the other rider so I just passed and kept on keeping on.

At the end of the curves I pulled over and waited for them, waved as they went by noticing they were an older person on a Honda Rebel, then followed them to the next stop sign.

I started a conversation by telling them I'm 73 and am glad to see another older person riding and she... yes she... said she was 75 years old and loving every minute riding. Her family is all upset but she doesn't care.

After a few more minutes of chit chat we went our separate ways. It was a very nice ride.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
The Dragon? Oh my! That road is on my top 10 bucket list.
The Dragon? Oh my! That road is on my top 10 bucket list.
I live real close so I've made a pass or two. It can be enjoyable or scary depending on the time of year. Peak tourist season isn't so good but I can pick my times or other roads just as good, that are not widely known. When it's time to fill your bucket ring me up and we'll do it together
🐉

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live real close so I've made a pass or two. It can be enjoyable or scary depending on the time of year. Peak tourist season isn't so good but I can pick my times or other roads just as good, that are not widely known. When it's time to fill your bucket ring me up and we'll do it together
🐉
Thank you for the invitation! :) I've watched many videos of folks riding on the Dragon. Mostly Maxwrist, Bad Kitty, and Fedy. I realize those riders are very familiar with all the nuances of the Dragon's curves and pavement and are not the norm for folks riding there. But I can see there can be lots of traffic with many cars, bikes, and squids in cars and on bikes. Still would be a once in a life time ride!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been looking at maps and looking at roads alongside rivers because those roads tend to follow the river and be a bit twisty. So today I went to check out some roads the map said followed one river fairly closely and the map was right! Soooo much fun!

But before I got to the twisty part some old fart in a pickup truck saw me in his rear views and immediately straddled the double yellow line. I mean he was half in one lane and half in the other. I waited to see if he was just enjoying his drive or if he really was playing rolling roadblock on purpose.

Well after a full half mile it was obviously on purpose and going over my options I didn't want to stay behind him and end up dealing with worse if he stopped blocking me and there weren't any side roads to escape down so I faked a pass on the right but zipped by on the left. Rather quickly. On my way by I caught in my peripheral vision that he had a finger up. I did not bother to validate his pissiness by reacting in any way and just rode away. I did watch my rear views in case he wanted to try running me down.

·
Registered
2022 Ninja 400 ABS metallic gray/sparked black
705 Posts
I started a conversation by telling them I'm 73 and am glad to see another older person riding and she... yes she... said she was 75 years old and loving every minute riding. Her family is all upset but she doesn't care.
It is kinda funny that her family doesn't like it....and she rides a Rebel. I wonder if they call her that.
That's awesome though. She's my new hero.
On my favorite television show "The Dukes of Hazzard" there was a lady who delivered the mail who was that age. Her name was Miz Emma Tisdale and she delivered it on a dual sport motorcycle and rode wheelies between every mailbox.
(...and there's no way it could have been a stuntperson under that helmet so don't even suggest it) lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took off for a ride on Pine River Road (starts in Midland, Mi. and ends in St. Louis, Mi. or vice versa) today. Nice mostly twisty road with decent to really good pavement. I was surprised there weren't many Harley riders out today. Home with Mom perhaps? Hope so. Mom deserves it.

On the way out of Midland I discovered last years speeds in the tight corners is a bit too quick. Back end felt like it was creeping just a little and the front occasionally went soft as it creeped a little too. Maybe there will be more grip when the temps warm up past the 60's. But right now it's time to slow down a hair. Still managed to have my left toe touch down (old fart knees won't let me put toes on the pegs). Even with stock exhaust I sure do love the sound of that engine winding up pulling out of a corner!!!

Coming through a fairly straight section I see a green dual sport coming towards me. I guess he wanted to impress me on my Ninja because he pulled a really nice long wheelie. While I was impressed by his riding skill I also was very unfavorably impressed by where he decided to do that wheelie. Right behind him, maybe 2 car lengths, was a car. Had that guy looped his bike the car would have had no option but to run him over.

I was going to run the road one more time (already ran it East to West and back again once) when I got to thinking.... green bike doing wheelies + car behind him maybe calling the cops + me on a green KRT + maybe to a cop a green bike is a green bike is a green bike. So I just finished the road and boogied on home instead.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So nice out today. 82 degrees and my Ninja was whispering "Come ride!!" so off we go to run the new twisty roads I found out by Vassar Mi.. Ran them backwards from what I rode them the first time. Lots of traction from warm pavement had me playing just a bit. Still not completely familiar with the road I made the error of carrying a bit of speed then discovering one right hander is a decreasing radius AFTER diving in. Good thing I was riding at about 8/10ths and and not any harder (it is still the street and not the track after all) but ...anyone know how to get a pucker mark out of the seat?

And that 75 year old lady I met a couple of days ago was also out riding today. I came up behind her and I give her credit because she had to have been watching her mirrors since she waved at me before I passed.

·
Registered
705 Posts
. Ran them backwards from what I rode them the first time.
Odd coincidence. I did something similar. On April 30 I met another Ninja owner at my dealership. We went on an unplanned 70 mile trip. Today I met a long time friend of mine who rides a Yamaha V-star and we took that same trip but went the opposite way

·
Registered
705 Posts
And that 75 year old lady I met a couple of days ago was also out riding today. I came up behind her and I give her credit because she had to have been watching her mirrors since she waved at me before I passed.
Are you sure this lady isn't stalking you? Chicks dig Ninjas you know and she rides a Rebel so she might be dangerous.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Forgot to mention I bought my Ninja on the 3rd of last May and with today's ride (on on the 12th of May) there is a little over 10,000 miles on the clock, Love that bike!!!😁
I totally understand..I'm in love too :love: . And the Old Lady ain't bad either.
This afternoon
Cloud Sky Atmosphere Daytime Plant community

Attachments

·
Registered
705 Posts
I know it ain't West Virginia but that is Almost Heaven.
I love the way the bottom of that cloud runs almost parallel to the top of the mountain range from picture edge to picture edge.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went for a ride this afternoon (being retired makes every day a riding day!). I kinda like that cheap camera fixed to my Ninja's windshield. Cost less than $50 and the videos show the bike's lean angle. Here are a few screen shots.....
Sky Plant Cloud Automotive lighting Tree

Sky Cloud Plant Tree Natural landscape

and this is what is waiting on the other side of the sign....

Sky Cloud Road surface Natural landscape Plant

Sky Cloud Ecoregion Plant Road surface

Attachments

1 - 20 of 111 Posts