Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorcycle.com just posted laps of the bikes they tested in the in the lightweight shootout, and in the hotlap of the 400 you can see he over takes bikes much bigger than the 400 aka a 636, Im just posting this for the young guys on here who haven't even ridden for 2 months and think they can handle a zx10r already, even a monkey can roll on the throttle but try controlling your bike in a corner at high speeds, I have seen countless riders jump on 600cc bikes "usually r6's and get destroyed by teenagers in the twisty roads.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Yep a classic case of a skilled rider on a light weight reeling in the throttle jockeys on the big bores.

A lot of older guys are fast too. One of my racing buddies is in his early sixties and won our Formula one Provincial championship season before last. At the moment he is setting up his brand new Ducati 1100 V4 for next season. Respect!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Doesn't count. That was at a track, where they needed to corner and stuff. :grin:

Motorcycle.com just posted laps of the bikes they tested in the in the lightweight shootout, and in the hotlap of the 400 you can see he over takes bikes much bigger than the 400 aka a 636, Im just posting this for the young guys on here who haven't even ridden for 2 months and think they can handle a zx10r already, even a monkey can roll on the throttle but try controlling your bike in a corner at high speeds, I have seen countless riders jump on 600cc bikes "usually r6's and get destroyed by teenagers in the twisty roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxgEc3EzMDo

·
Registered
460 Posts
I find it really funny that people think the bigger cc the faster you are. The day after I bought my 400 we went for a break in for the engine. Yes I have told this before. Anyways my little 400 vs 3 1000cc motorcycles. In the straight all day long they were playing with me. Passing me at will. Once we got to our destination the beginning of the twisties 2 of the riders are lol at me. See you at the bottom of the hill we will wait for you yadah yadah.

After passing them multiple times on turns pulling the front end up exiting the turns getting ahead of them waiting them to catch up, catch and pass them again. They knew the mighty 400 could and would pass them anytime I wanted too.

It has been said many times it's better to go fast on a slow bike then slow in a fast bike. I guess it's all about experience. When I was young I wanted a fast bike even though I couldn't and would never ride it to its fullest potential. Now I'm happy on my small 400 enjoying every turn that I get to lean into and drag knee.

Dragging knee is way cooler than riding 299kph ever will be.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'll play the devil's advocate, so get ready to tear me off. :storm:

First, as a disclaimer, I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy any kind of motorcycle, much less a 200hp bike.
As the saying goes, 'Riding a motorcycle is basically an act of madness'. And it doesn't match any moral value.
So anyone riding a motorcycle can be target of critics, as we risk our physical integrity for the fun of a ride or the convenience of saving some time in traffic, even wearing ATGATT, even riding only at the track. You can reduce risk but not eliminate it.

But all of us have our dreams, needs and weaknesses, so we get them anyways. If someone at any age has the freedom, the money and the balls to get a powerful bike, why not do it? I wish I had those three things when I was twenty.
I'm fifty now and on time I've had all sizes of bikes. Started with a two stroke 100cc, then 500cc, then 600cc (CBR600), then 1000 (S1000RR), then N250 and now I ride a N300 and I enjoyed all of them. Different people, different bikes. I enjoy turns and going fast as well. I've never had a crash.

In the end, crashing is not on the motorcycle, it's on the rider.
If you're prone to accidents, then you'll crash on any bike.
A N400 is only slightly less dangerous than a 1000.
A liter bike is a monster and much easier to loose control of, but it handles better, brakes better and has more grip than a N400, at least on a stock form.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That video is great. I'm coming to the Ninja 400 from bigger bikes (Yamaha R1, GSXR-750), and I got the 400 out on the track for the first time this past weekend... it was the most fun bike I've had on the track. Had a much better time than on 1000ccs or 750ccs. Especially when I was running down and battling an Aprilia RSV4 who kept pulling away from me like crazy on the straights, but then there I was again right with him in every corner and passing plenty of 600s. This 400 is freakin awesome.

I know people say they are ready to "move up" when it comes to displacement, but I "upgraded" from the 1000/750 to the 400 because I'm ready to "move up" when it comes to skill. You are forced to push and carry a lot more corner speed when out there on these little bikes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That video is great. I'm coming to the Ninja 400 from bigger bikes (Yamaha R1, GSXR-750), and I got the 400 out on the track for the first time this past weekend... it was the most fun bike I've had on the track. Had a much better time than on 1000ccs or 750ccs. Especially when I was running down and battling an Aprilia RSV4 who kept pulling away from me like crazy on the straights, but then there I was again right with him in every corner and passing plenty of 600s. This 400 is freakin awesome.

I know people say they are ready to "move up" when it comes to displacement, but I "upgraded" from the 1000/750 to the 400 because I'm ready to "move up" when it comes to skill. You are forced to push and carry a lot more corner speed when out there on these little bikes.
I did the same.

R1 to GSXR-750 to 600RR to SV650 to 675 STR and now smaller bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts