Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 400 ABS
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey yall got my first tire punctures today seems two very small wood nails got stuck in the tire. one didnt go through but the other one kinda curved into the tire. Ive done a bit of research and ive heard that i cant go over 75 if i decide to plug it. keep in mind these nails were very small. Should i just replace the tire?
The nail in question:
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tread

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would plug it. Or patch it from the inside. Or run a tube. But that's just me.

• Helpful
Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki EX400HJF Ninja, 2020 Kawasaki Z400
56 Posts
Hey yall got my first tire punctures today seems two very small wood nails got stuck in the tire. one didnt go through but the other one kinda curved into the tire. Ive done a bit of research and ive heard that i cant go over 75 if i decide to plug it. keep in mind these nails were very small. Should i just replace the tire?
The nail in question:
View attachment 26412
Most external plugs are designed for automotive use. It would be safer to patch it from the inside or install a tube (like McRat said). However, keep in mind that the use of an inner tube will decrease the speed rating of your tire by one category (due to the increased heat that will be generated). But since you have to remove the wheel assembly from the bike and have to break the bead to do this, you might consider a new tire - the stock Dunlop GPR300's are nothing to write home about, anyway. Best of luck, and ride safe!

·
Registered
97 Posts
The nail in question:
View attachment 26412
Good choice. The trouble of removing, patching the tire and reinstalling the wheel are half the way to a new tire. Not to mention the peace of mind at higher speeds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you are not planning to be running over 100MPH much then just plug it. Been doing that for years with never a problem. Just make sure to use the sticky string type (NOT rubber plug). Kits are cheaper than a new tire PLUS you can carry the kit with you to make an emergency repair if you have a tire pump.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I'd recommend plugging it just so you can still ride.

How far are you from needing a new pair of tires? If it was imminent, you can just move up the purchase of a new pair. But your pic makes me think you had a good amount of tread left. If the front tire still has a lot of life, you could consider only replacing the rear. There's a lot of riders who do two rears for each front tire.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 400 ABS
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up buying a set of S22s and ill get them installed on friday. The tires had a lot of life left but I tend to ride a bit fast so not going over 75mph wasnt gonna cut it, the way the nail went in would make it hard to patch anyways. In addition, ill be selling the bike at the end of winter so a newer set of tires helps resale.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki EX400HJF Ninja, 2020 Kawasaki Z400
56 Posts
I ended up buying a set of S22s and ill get them installed on friday. The tires had a lot of life left but I tend to ride a bit fast so not going over 75mph wasnt gonna cut it, the way the nail went in would make it hard to patch anyways. In addition, ill be selling the bike at the end of winter so a newer set of tires helps resale.
Good decision! You'll like the Bridgestones - I put them on my EX400, and the difference is night and day between those and the stockers.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I have seen guys run track with plugs in there tire, so done right it will hold. Am I a big fan of it, or would I plug a tire at the track.....probably not depends on if I just dropped $400 on a set and had a nail in one or not.
Street should be fine if done right. I have ran them on the street before, especially in my younger days thrashing on the bike and had no issues. Just make sure to check the pressure frequently in the event it gains a very slow leak

1 - 14 of 14 Posts