Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the ninja 400 and purchased the Tire and Wheel Road Hazard. Came home and did some research as well as read through the contract and starting to think it may not be worth the $499. Anyone else purchase this plan and have good results with it or does anyone else have suggestions whether it is worth it?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just bought the ninja 400 and purchased the Tire and Wheel Road Hazard. Came home and did some research as well as read through the contract and starting to think it may not be worth the $499. Anyone else purchase this plan and have good results with it or does anyone else have suggestions whether it is worth it?
I honestly think its a waste of money but if your prone to getting nails in tires then sure keep it

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got suckered in to the wheel and tire protection too. Mine was only 349 though and they basically told me once the tires get low (but not lower than 2/32nds) run a screw through it and they'll just replace it. Whats worse is I work in tires and can basically get my rubber at cost. I also got the extended warranty but being that I plan to keep the bike a good long time and its a first year model so i thought it was worth it

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
As a general rule these type of warranties are (value for money wise) stacked in the favour of issuer.
But if it gives you peace of mind then that's got to be worth something.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got suckered in to the wheel and tire protection too. Mine was only 349 though and they basically told me once the tires get low (but not lower than 2/32nds) run a screw through it and they'll just replace it. Whats worse is I work in tires and can basically get my rubber at cost. I also got the extended warranty but being that I plan to keep the bike a good long time and its a first year model so i thought it was worth it
Pretty much what they told me, too. Once the tires get low "accidentally run over a nail" and the tire gets replaced lol.. They also said they don't condone insurance fraud, this was said with a smile haha..

·
Registered
99 Posts
I didn't get the warranty and I just got a wood screw in the rear with 380 miles on it. Plugged with my off road tire repair kit and it's been holding air for a couple days. We will see how it fairs some riding, but good so far:devil:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
When I was a young pup back in the 90's, riding on a FZR 750 I bought a brand new rear tire. Had that bad boy mounted up, did it myself at home, was pretty proud of myself. Was riding into town and got maybe 4 miles before the back end started feeling loose.

Pulled over on the shoulder of the road and stepped around back when I noticed the tire was low...turns out I ran over a nail somewhere between my house and where I currently was.
Not even 15 minutes after putting a new tire on it................... :(

Was not happy.........got a local dealership to patch it from the inside, not the best way, but it was better than scrapping a new tire and being a teenage also way cheaper

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the tire and wheel on my Harley, They just replaced the rear tire..$270, I'll be getting a flat in the front soon....
I just bought my 400 on Friday, And they did not offer me either Extended or the tire and wheel....Next December I'll probably get the extended warranty....

·
Registered
86 Posts
A bent rear rim is $730 American dollars to replace.....not including labor.

Do the math.
If you really "do the math" you would probably find out the insurance is not worth it. "Doing the math" would involve multiplying the probability of getting a bent rim (minuscule) for any given year times the cost of the bent rim times the number of years owning the bike......compared with the cost of the insurance (I assume a one-time cost). So the real comparison depends on the probability of getting a bent rim, and for me at least that is really small since it has never happened on a street bike in 50+ years of riding.

If, however, it did happen, I would order a used wheel off of Ebay and replace it myself for much less than dealer cost.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Pot holes

Another reason why I don’t ride in NYC. Even winter riding, you have to be careful with the craters that develop on the roads. Hopefully by spring they patch some of them. I have been riding for 30 years and never bent a rim (knock on wood). I have only gotten 1 flat in a rear tire in 30 years. Of course it was right before a track day and I switched the tire and rim from my other bike. I had it patched and rode it until it wore out!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I didn't get the warranty and I just got a wood screw in the rear with 380 miles on it. Plugged with my off road tire repair kit and it's been holding air for a couple days. We will see how it fairs some riding, but good so far:devil:
A few years back, a new car with 270 miles on it picked up 2 screws. One was in sidewall and unable to be repaired. I didn't have any tire/wheel plan. :crying:

Now, I do have the protection plan on the car. And, I have used the wheel portion after I scraped the wheel on a curb.

I don't have the plan on my mc. But sure understand why folks buy it.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
If you really "do the math" you would probably find out the insurance is not worth it.
+1 I've been riding on the road 35 years and never had a bent rim. If I had paid say $150 a year for tire & wheel insurance during this time I would have given the Insurance company over $5K. There's a brand new N400 right there.

It can happen though so if it gives anyone piece of mind then sign up for it and sleep easy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you really "do the math" you would probably find out the insurance is not worth it. "Doing the math" would involve multiplying the probability of getting a bent rim (minuscule) for any given year times the cost of the bent rim times the number of years owning the bike......compared with the cost of the insurance (I assume a one-time cost). So the real comparison depends on the probability of getting a bent rim, and for me at least that is really small since it has never happened on a street bike in 50+ years of riding.

If, however, it did happen, I would order a used wheel off of Ebay and replace it myself for much less than dealer cost.
Well I "really" did do the math on my odds in Long Island to NJ commuting... and I came out ahead.

Rims get bent where I live....all types of rims....all the time...Not "minuscule" by any stretch of reality.

I don't do used motorcycle wheels either.....not worth the risk to me cheaping out on that.

Either way I just traded my beloved 400 with 4000 miles for a 2019 Ninja ZX6.

Happy trails..... :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Well I "really" did do the math on my odds in Long Island to NJ commuting... and I came out ahead.

Rims get bent where I live....all types of rims....all the time...Not "minuscule" by any stretch of reality.

I don't do used motorcycle wheels either.....not worth the risk to me cheaping out on that.

Either way I just traded my beloved 400 with 4000 miles for a 2019 Ninja ZX6.

Happy trails..... :wink:
Congrats, I do like that 636, nice color combo!:clap:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts