Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike recently tipped in driveway while stopped and sitting on kickstand (no really).

Scratches on exhaust, fairings, mirror, bar end, decal scuffed.

Brake was bent - bent it back already

Current problem is that the right clip on bar bent downwards and needs replaced. Replacement should be here tomorrow, but I wanted to ask how difficult it would be to replace myself. Overall, I should be capable of doing it myself, I'm just primarily concerned with the alignment. Is there anything to help make sure it's aligned properly?

Also any tips on scratch removal are appreciated.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear about the accident. What caused it to tip over?
No idea. Lost traction I guess. Parked it on a slight incline facing uphill while I went to open the shed as I had done many other times. Half way to the shed, I hear the engine shut off, look back, and the bike is rolling backwards and then turns and falls on it's right side.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Easy job. There is an alignment screw on these clip ons so they only go in one position. I posted about this recently inc picture. I'll let u search for it, I gotta go to work :grin:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: received bar. Nothing to clamp it with. Also can't just swap the bar, because the current one is welded to the current clamp. Guess the dealership will have to do it, cause I can't do the welding for it :(

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Update: received bar. Nothing to clamp it with. Also can't just swap the bar, because the current one is welded to the current clamp. Guess the dealership will have to do it, cause I can't do the welding for it :(
How bizarre, was this a bar you ordered off a Kawasaki dealer?
Generally if you order a replacement OEM handle bar it comes complete. I cant imagine a dealer cutting and welding a clip on because a whole new unit would be cheaper than the labour for cutting and welding and painting the welded area etc.
You didnt buy an aftermarket bar that slots into an aftermarket clamp did you? ie. For a two piece set up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How bizarre, was this a bar you ordered off a Kawasaki dealer?
Generally if you order a replacement OEM handle bar it comes complete. I cant imagine a dealer cutting and welding a clip on because a whole new unit would be cheaper than the labour for cutting and welding and painting the welded area etc.
You didnt buy an aftermarket bar that slots into an aftermarket clamp did you? ie. For a two piece set up.
Agreed, I thought it was very strange too. I ordered it from the same place I bought my bike and they said it was a replacement OEM part

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update: still waiting.

6/9 - ordered, est. 6/12 delivery
6/13 - delivered wrong part
6/14 - re-ordered correct part, est. 6/19 delivery
6/20 - informed that Kawi hadn't shipped any orders, and it was being overnighted
6/22 - informed part is on backorder

Anyone have any suggestions on aftermarket ones?

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Update: still waiting.

6/9 - ordered, est. 6/12 delivery
6/13 - delivered wrong part
6/14 - re-ordered correct part, est. 6/19 delivery
6/20 - informed that Kawi hadn't shipped any orders, and it was being overnighted
6/22 - informed part is on backorder

Anyone have any suggestions on aftermarket ones?
Yep, Vortex. I get lots of favorable comments on mine.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Have a link? Or are all the vortex ones generally the same? Also, I don't really care about the height, the stock height of the bars was fine for me.
I'm away from home on my phone which I don't know how to post links on so just google vortex 41mm, 7 degree drop clip-ons.

If you want to see them on my bike go to parts and accessories and there is a Vortex Clip-on thread there that I started.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm away from home on my phone which I don't know how to post links on so just google vortex 41mm, 7 degree drop clip-ons.

If you want to see them on my bike go to parts and accessories and there is a Vortex Clip-on thread there that I started.
Thanks! As a tip, hyperlinks are posted by typing [ url]link[ /url]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts