Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2018 krt
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got the N400 to the track. Thunderhill with Z2 track days.
Z2 Track Days – The West Coast's Premiere Track Day Provider
I went with a friend who did the C group and class, and I started in the B group. Did a thread about prep, in summary put on Dunlop Q3+, new chain and sprockets, new fork oil, two gopro's, DP-1 front brake pads, steering stop for crash protection just in case, water/wetter, taped headlights mostly so numbers would show for style, remove fuses and pulled signal lights. Remove all non necessary bits like passenger foot pegs and Givi rack mount.

Note: yes, I do tend to ride fast, and I have been through all the Keith Code 1-4 levels and a few other track days on liter bikes. First time on a small cc moto.

Started in B group so as to start with proper etiquette. Did proper two laps of warmup before starting to work it. Group B was like a busy commuter day for me. Fun, but the Z2 folks bumped me to Group A after first session. Definitely the right call as I was passing waaayyy too many people in B.

Group A was a blast. On the 400, realized the small bike effect. catch and pass folks in braking and cornering. Watch them wheelie away down the straights. Had to really stay on it and focused in A. Check over shoulder beginning of straights and hairpins to make sure I wasn't holding up a liter bikes. I could still pass 3-4 people and had a ball working it with a few riders pretty evenly matched.

The N400 in my setup was competitive other N400's with full slicks, race setup bikes, as long as I was working it hard. Managed a 1:30.76 as my fastest lap recorded. Used the Harry's Lap Timer once recommended later in the morning.

Photos from me and GotBlueMilk. Well worth paying your track day photo person not only for good photos, but keeping them in business! I prefer to just consider it part of a track day cost. Support your community!
gotbluemilk

Posting a couple videos soon. One showing the B Group session and why I got bumped up. The second an A Group session to show the N400 getting worked. A few other riders on 400 or less motos. The 125 MR (?) two stroke was FAAASSSST. The other race spec'd N400's were a blast to work with, sometimes pass, and usually just follow fast after they passed me.

Also fun to pass liter bikes on the N400. Always because clearly the rider was still working on lines, apex, turn ins, throttle control. Passing the KTM RC8C every session I am sure rubbed some salt... or should have.

Tire Wheel Helmet Vehicle Motorcycle helmet

Me, following the Zooni leather N400 race spec guy. Slicks, hot bodies, and everything you would expect.

Tire Helmet Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

The slooowwww KTM RC8C. Proving you can go fast without spending $40k.

Wheel Tire Helmet Motorcycle helmet Sports gear

Tire Helmet Wheel Vehicle Sports gear

Tire Wheel Vehicle Helmet Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

Things I would change if I did this regularly:
Velocity stacks, ram air, raise my foot pegs in the rearsets, remove abs, full race exhaust, timer gps kit, short throw throttle, race body work and clipons for higher seat, lower front, better body position. My N400 is setup for fairly comfy street ripping. It shows its lack of track competitiveness, when obviously at the track. But I would only do the above if going to the track more than once or twice a year. It was so fun on Thunderhill West and riding with so many great folks.

Thanks Z2!

· Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the great write up. I've ran at Thunderhill many times in the last 35 years. A few of those were on the N400. The smaller bike makes you work harder, but bigger bikes cannot carry the same speed through the tight stuff as well. Love the N400. I'm usually in C group and sometimes in B. Track days in my retirement are now 65% a social event with riding the track as a bonus.

· Registered
2018 krt
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Fitzharris , Thanks, yeah, love the N400 on the track. I stay pretty fit, but definitely worked hard on the N400 in 7 x 20 minutes sessions. I am sore. Shoulders. Wrists. Legs. It was a lot of work to rip that N400 around the track all day. Well worth it, and just shows I need more track time to be fit for track time!

On another note, here is the link to the first session of the day, learning the track as well as running B Group...

I enjoy watching it because it's the first Thunderhill West session ever for me. You can see the learning progression of lines, corners, apex, etc. I clearly blow the lines in the first few laps in places. I am figuring the gearing for the corners. And then add in all the passing while trying to be safe with 6 foot passing buffers. It was a fun session, but definitely nice to get bumped to A.

Enjoy the video!
(An afternoon A session coming...)

· Registered
312 Posts
You definitely needed to be in the fast group! Catching big bikes in the tight stuff is fun, I remember doing that at an AFM Ontario event where I'd pass a Z1 right before the front straight (I was on my Yamaha 500 single) and then he'd rocket away down the straight and I'd slowly catch up until it was time for him to put the horsepower to use again.

If the 125 2T was a Honda then it would be an RS125, unless it was one of the 1970s MT125Rs. Yamaha would be a TZ125. A good club 125 will have about the same hp as a stock N400, but will be 120+ pounds lighter. A good 125 rider is something to watch! I can remember practices at Sears Point where the 125GP crowd would come slicing through all of us slower riders going into a corner as though we were standing still -- it seemed like they didn't need a line, they just went where they wanted to go.

· Registered
2018 krt
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You definitely needed to be in the fast group! Catching big bikes in the tight stuff is fun, I remember doing that at an AFM Ontario event where I'd pass a Z1 right before the front straight (I was on my Yamaha 500 single) and then he'd rocket away down the straight and I'd slowly catch up until it was time for him to put the horsepower to use again.

If the 125 2T was a Honda then it would be an RS125, unless it was one of the 1970s MT125Rs. Yamaha would be a TZ125. A good club 125 will have about the same hp as a stock N400, but will be 120+ pounds lighter. A good 125 rider is something to watch! I can remember practices at Sears Point where the 125GP crowd would come slicing through all of us slower riders going into a corner as though we were standing still -- it seemed like they didn't need a line, they just went where they wanted to go.
Michael, that sounds awesome. I wasn't going to post this video here, but your mention of the 125, this video has him pass me at time mark 20:00. Maybe you will recognize it.

I wasn't going to post because my dash cam didn't start on that session, and I do like it inlayed for information. But watching this again, I also like the lack of distraction and seeing the track.

· Registered
2018 krt
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
And a Group A session. 3 pm session, warm track. Some good riding with the guy on the red moto after about minute 10, where we both are getting slowed by that pesky KTM RC8C... We were pretty even, until he would blow corners.

@Michael Moore , that 125 comes by again at 14:55, along with the blue N400. Their slicks are clearly up to temperature.

Again, part of the reason to post is to show how fun the 400 can be at all levels of riding. The most critical upgrade to ride like this? Suspension and tires. There is no way I could do this without the Ohlins shock with 115 spring for my weight, and the racetech springs with 20W oil in the forks. Oh, and rearsets. I was already struggling with some clearance since I have the Sato rearsets on the lowest back hole. I would move it up for another track day.

Enjoy.

· Registered
312 Posts
Eric, I slowed that down and the wheels look like OEM Honda which had 6 spokes where the Yamaha wheels were 3 spokes. But the muffler seems large for a 125 and the sound makes me wonder if instead that may be a Honda NSF250R Moto3 4T. There are supposed to be one or two racing with AFM. The 2T and 4T chassis are the same size and the 2.5/3.5x17 wheels have been standard on the small bike classes since the middle 1990s.

· Registered
35 Posts
I went with a friend who did the C group and class, and I started in the B group. Did a thread about prep, in summary put on Dunlop Q3+, new chain and sprockets, new fork oil, two gopro's, DP-1 front brake pads, steering stop for crash protection just in case, water/wetter, taped headlights mostly so numbers would show for style, remove fuses and pulled signal lights. Remove all non necessary bits like passenger foot pegs and Givi rack mount.

Note: yes, I do tend to ride fast, and I have been through all the Keith Code 1-4 levels and a few other track days on liter bikes. First time on a small cc moto.

Started in B group so as to start with proper etiquette. Did proper two laps of warmup before starting to work it. Group B was like a busy commuter day for me. Fun, but the Z2 folks bumped me to Group A after first session. Definitely the right call as I was passing waaayyy too many people in B.

Group A was a blast. On the 400, realized the small bike effect. catch and pass folks in braking and cornering. Watch them wheelie away down the straights. Had to really stay on it and focused in A. Check over shoulder beginning of straights and hairpins to make sure I wasn't holding up a liter bikes. I could still pass 3-4 people and had a ball working it with a few riders pretty evenly matched.

The N400 in my setup was competitive other N400's with full slicks, race setup bikes, as long as I was working it hard. Managed a 1:30.76 as my fastest lap recorded. Used the Harry's Lap Timer once recommended later in the morning.

Photos from me and GotBlueMilk. Well worth paying your track day photo person not only for good photos, but keeping them in business! I prefer to just consider it part of a track day cost. Support your community!
gotbluemilk

Posting a couple videos soon. One showing the B Group session and why I got bumped up. The second an A Group session to show the N400 getting worked. A few other riders on 400 or less motos. The 125 MR (?) two stroke was FAAASSSST. The other race spec'd N400's were a blast to work with, sometimes pass, and usually just follow fast after they passed me.

Also fun to pass liter bikes on the N400. Always because clearly the rider was still working on lines, apex, turn ins, throttle control. Passing the KTM RC8C every session I am sure rubbed some salt... or should have.

View attachment 26163
Me, following the Zooni leather N400 race spec guy. Slicks, hot bodies, and everything you would expect.

View attachment 26161

View attachment 26160

View attachment 26162

View attachment 26159

View attachment 26158

Velocity stacks, ram air, raise my foot pegs in the rearsets, remove abs, full race exhaust, timer gps kit, short throw throttle, race body work and clipons for higher seat, lower front, better body position. My N400 is setup for fairly comfy street ripping. It shows its lack of track competitiveness, when obviously at the track. But I would only do the above if going to the track more than once or twice a year. It was so fun on Thunderhill West and riding with so many great folks.

Thanks Z2!
I so badly want to try out track but I'm nervous! Lol 😆

· Registered
312 Posts
Reign, on the track you don't have to worry about cars pulling out in front of you, loose dogs (but deer can be a problem at Sears Point), etc. In many ways the track can be less stressful than the street. Now that track days are generally available (not the case when I started riding) you don't have to enter a race to get to ride on a track. Sign up for the slow/newbie group, and if you can, pay some money to get some new rider coaching about what you are supposed to do. Then you can go out and ride at your own pace and see how things go.

· Registered
35 Posts
Reign, on the track you don't have to worry about cars pulling out in front of you, loose dogs (but deer can be a problem at Sears Point), etc. In many ways the track can be less stressful than the street. Now that track days are generally available (not the case when I started riding) you don't have to enter a race to get to ride on a track. Sign up for the slow/newbie group, and if you can, pay some money to get some new rider coaching about what you are supposed to do. Then you can go out and ride at your own pace and see how things go.
My friends go to the track nearby but I haven't been talked into going just yet. Mainly because I'd hate to damage my bike and with my luck I'd probably end up slipping cross the track (me over exaggerating) lol but I'll go after the holidays. They got some really dope photos taken and it looks like a ton of fun! So I definitely want to try it out.

Hopefully they rent suits out because I don't plan on buying one 😅

Here is my baby. She's pretty custom, so you can see why I don't want to drop her.

However, my friends have a few bikes, I may use one of theirs to do track and learn stunting. We shall see!
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
198 Posts
@Reign I really like the paint! I'd echo the advice above from @Michael Moore and @misnblu. A track day can be intimidating until you get out there, and then it's a ton of fun. Think of it as advanced riding instruction in a very controlled environment. The stuff you work on there will make you a much better/safer rider on the street as well.

· Registered
2018 krt
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
That is a perfect track bike. Echoing everything already said. Its not about racing, although you will find yourself going faster. Its about having the time and focus to actually work on your riding and not worrying about all the other worldy obstacles. You only have to worry about everything in front of you. Anything behind you is not your concern. I recommend a track day near you in Group C and instructor classes. There is a LOT to know and think about on the track, and instruction is key. My friend did that at the same track day and learned a lot. Lines, braking points, gear shifting, body position.

· Registered
7 Posts

gotbluemilk

View attachment 26163

View attachment 26161

View attachment 26160

View attachment 26162

View attachment 26159

View attachment 26158

Thanks Z2!

gotbluemilk

View attachment 26163

View attachment 26161

View attachment 26160

View attachment 26162

View attachment 26159

View attachment 26158

Thanks Z2!
1:30 is pretty quick at West Track - definitely A-group pace. Ever thought about racing with AFM? We need more racers - come out and play!

· Registered
681 Posts
And a Group A session. 3 pm session, warm track. Some good riding with the guy on the red moto after about minute 10, where we both are getting slowed by that pesky KTM RC8C... We were pretty even, until he would blow corners.

@Michael Moore , that 125 comes by again at 14:55, along with the blue N400. Their slicks are clearly up to temperature.

Again, part of the reason to post is to show how fun the 400 can be at all levels of riding. The most critical upgrade to ride like this? Suspension and tires. There is no way I could do this without the Ohlins shock with 115 spring for my weight, and the racetech springs with 20W oil in the forks. Oh, and rearsets. I was already struggling with some clearance since I have the Sato rearsets on the lowest back hole. I would move it up for another track day.

Enjoy.

20w oil in the forks with preload spacers was a huge difference over stock for me.
I went with Andreani cartridges and GSXR shock after my first couple of track days though.
The 400 is very capable at the price point for the track.
It is fun to pass bigger bikes on the 400.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts