Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Currently standing at 500km. Since I started riding it i jerk the bike all the time while switching gears. Ive come to notice my throttle have 1cm of freeplay and that is giving me all the problems. I went to the locknut and adjuster on the throttle but i cant fit any spanner there because its messy and all the other stuff are in the way intrupting... and its too hard to loose with my fingers. Going to the shop wont happen because I need to keep it at 4K RPMs and just waiting for the break in treatment. Can anyone maybe do a "how to" video and enlighten me on the ninja 400.. because it seems i need to take the fairing off just to do a little adjustment.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Yes it's fiddle but you shouldn't need to remove fairing. Try turning your bars to the right so the throttle tube housing is exposed more. Also try using long nose pliers to loosen lock nut and turn adjuster. Easier to get in there.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yup, I adjusted the throttle and clutch free play as well as the shifter pedal immediately when I went home from the dealers lot. Gotta make your own fine tuning.

Like Kiwi Rider, I used two long-nosed pliers. Be advised, the throttle adjuster and lock nut are plastic. So don't go over-tightening them.

Reactions: Kiwi Rider

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it's fiddle but you shouldn't need to remove fairing. Try turning your bars to the right so the throttle tube housing is exposed more. Also try using long nose pliers to loosen lock nut and turn adjuster. Easier to get in there.
Yup, I adjusted the throttle and clutch free play as well as the shifter pedal immediately when I went home from the dealers lot. Gotta make your own fine tuning.

Like Kiwi Rider, I used two long-nosed pliers. Be advised, the throttle adjuster and lock nut are plastic. So don't go over-tightening them.

Well.. I still cant seem to succeed. Besides, the pliers destoryes the teeths of the nut..Can you guys make a video maybe.. it will be much appriciated

also.. if you look at it from the right side of the bike, which way is to loosen and which way is to lock exactly?

I dont understand Kawasaki. Its like they dont do any QA to the motorcycle when he's going out of the factory. I mean, my chain has 1.5cm of freeplay which is bad and i also need to adjust and now this. The designer of this bike should also be caged with wolverines the seats installition and now this... :plain:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

So I am going to try again because this takes all the joy out of my riding. just to be sure. Red Direction or Yellow to loosen?

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So... Just adjusted the freeplay. One of the most satisfying things i did in my life.
To whoever reads it - lock the locknut tight enough to open it with your fingers - not like those retards at Kawasaki locks it..

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What did you end up using to loosen it?
I went to the shop and bought a long nose pliers like the guys here recommended (used a short one at first), I did open it up a bit with the long nosed pliers but I saw that the teeth of the locknut are getting twisted and bend, so I stoppped and went ahead to try opening it with my fingers. I just tried really hard and eventually I had success in freeing it.. took me a good 5 minutes though. But yeah if it wasnt for the long nosed pliers I wasnt gonna make it because they did the initial freeing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've noticed that mine jerks less when shifting of I wait till higher rpm's. Now that I'm no longer trying run baby it and keep it under 4k rpm's all the time it rides so much nicer and is just an all around more fun time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts