Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll try to keep this as brief as I can.

WP_20130812_080.jpg

I purchased my first bike in 2013, black Ninja 300. I put 48,000 mi (77 248 km), riding all around California, the US Southwest, and Mexico on weeklong trips. Many of those were documented on the Ninja 300 site as I was doing the trip (like a travel diary). My screen name comes from Ernesto "Che" Guevara, the revolutionary who is famous for his Motorcycle Diaries chronicle of him and his buddy riding across South America on a Triumph motorcycle. This first bike was stolen from a discreet and secluded Los Angeles neighborhood in August 2016, and I irresponsibly had not gotten full comprehensive insurance, so I missed out on the entire bike value.

WP_20161226_12_36_41_Rich 1.jpg

Luckily I had some money saved up and I bought a slightly used 2014 Ninja 300 ABS, and I took this bike with me up to the San Francisco Bay Area where I have been riding it for the past 1¼ years, mainly around this city full of fun hilly streets, though I did take it down to Socal for a weekend trip back in October 2017. This bike came with many mods from the previous owner: M4 exhaust, levers, full frame slider kit, and tank protector decal. I never knew I wanted to have my bike modded until I saw what this bike had.

Anyway, about 2 weeks ago I committed the same mistake of being too trustworthy in leaving my bike out on the street when I took a trip down to Socal on the train/airplane and decided it was a good idea to leave my very conspicuous bike on a sketchy street under a bridge. The most that I thought would happen would be that my helmet would be stolen by the strap being snipped, but instead it was the entire motorcycle which was gone by the time I came back from my trip, ughhh!

Luckily, I learned my lesson from the first time around and I have comprehensive on the bike, albeit with a high $1000 deductible. So it's in the hands of the insurance company now. I actually have security footage of the bike being stolen but since this is an ongoing investigation I won't post it here for the time being.

I had already learned about the Ninja 400 from our sister site (I think?) Kawasakininja300.com and was hoping to get the bike closer to June after I had saved up some money and more mods were available for it (especially the exhaust), but given this unfortunate theft, my purchase schedule had to be accelerated. I have ordered a Ninja 400 KRT from SF Moto in San Francisco, and it should get here next week, hopefully to coincide with my federal tax return so that I can buy the bike outright with cash.

Glad to be part of this community!

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
An interesting background story friend but man 'o man why can't people just leave other peoples $hit alone. That's rotten luck to get two bikes stolen. It does sound like you have been a bit too trust worthy or your fellow man, which is a nice attribute to have but doesn't always pan out well.

Something good often comes out of a bad situation though and I think the Ninja 400 may just be that 'good thing' for you. Keep it well locked up!

Obviously you are a well seasoned N300 campaigner so it will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the new bike in comparison.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Cheguevara, Nice write-up about your experiences with the 300 ninja. I hope the 400 enables you to make many more miles around Cali. I at one time rode many trips to Lake Isabella in CA.from LA to visit relatives (about 1800 miles).
48k on a Ninja 300 is a great accomplishment. I enjoyed the story and may visit the 300 site to read some of your ride chronicles. I am looking forward to obtaining my 400 and riding it to visit my parents 1535 miles away this year. I don't know if I will try and make another 1100 mile day as I did with the Ninja 250 last year, but I will see how the seat feels after I break it in. Who knows I may try a 1500 mile day if my rear intentions don't defeat me. BTW, what is the highest mile day you accomplished on the 300?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts