Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
15K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Duckman 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Around a month ago I purchased my first bike, a 21’ Ninja 400 with ABS. As anyone who gets their first bike they begin to look into upgrades, accessories and the whole nine yards. I’ve learned little by little about ECU flashes, power commanders, sprocket and chain upgrades, quick shifters, sliders, fender deletes, full exhausts and not to mention slip on exhausts; coming from a car community (06’ 350z and recently purchased 90’ Camry) this seems like the equivalent of a loud down/straight pipe on a civic given there’s no performance change on the car since it just sounds louder, but I’ve seen it’s pretty common.

While many of you are probably checking this out for amusement, the title reads accurate. I saw a post earlier on this forum about a user 2 years ago asking what it would take to increase the HP on our tiny bikes and over the last couple weeks I’ve been doing a bunch of research to potentially get this number.

I was initially referred to Norton Motorsports when looking for a flash/tune after I planned on putting a Yoshimura exhaust on my bike since I was under the impression it was “the” exhaust to get for performance and sound. Upon reviewing the Ninja 400 Exhaust Shoot Out video and looking at countless dyno charts, I don’t think I’ll be going this route. Undecided about Sparks/Akrapovic/Graves full exhaust given the difference in HP is less than one, I’m trying to see what else performance wise should be done to try to achieve this number or if someone is going to try to tell me that this simply isn’t possible or to just “get a bigger bike before doing upgrades”.

The only other upgrade I think of that comes to mind is radiator support, which I’ve finally found racing aftermarket support as well as being recommended online to use Engine Ice (I don’t plan on going to a track any time soon) to keep temps cool and effectively offset the decrease in HP due to high temperatures.

I’d like for this to be the “Holy $h1t you put an LS in a Miata?” moment. I’m sure it will take a lot of money, but the build is the best part. Is there any other engine upgrades I could potentially research and plan for? I’m halfway joking about a turbo since I saw a guy on YouTube with a MT-07 with one but realistically I would need a forged block to support it.

Also if this has been done I probably won’t pursue it but I have yet to find something in the similar power range.

Edit: Turbo MT-07 is actually a lot more common then I thought. What is really hindering me from slapping a small turbo on there from a totaled sonata or something…

Norton Motorsports +7HP+2.5FT*LB package

Norton Motorsports Dyno Charts

See less See more
#3 ·
No doubt there are folks amping these bikes, but never really documented (extensively) on here. I say: DO IIIT !!!

For what it's worth, I'm running the Norton power package deal. Yes, claimed additional 7 HP. Never dynoed stock vs the tune, though it surely transforms the bike in many ways.

Here's more inspiration:

#5 ·
well considering he comes from a car community and drives a "camry" LOL there are lots of documented builds on here mine included x3 most of you are soft "botl on" only where bunch of us have cracked the cases pulled the head.end of the day how deep our yuour pockets mr camry !

#20 ·
Wow, kind of arrogant, don't you think? Did you just read past the other car I own or just wanted to flame me for the camry? I just got rid of my 16' NISMO RS Juke cause I wanted to buy a car in full and get this bike, so that comment is kind of uncalled for imo. In the past four years I've bought/driven/sold 5 different cars because I can't make my mind up about what I want. Got projects on projects, which is why I bought the Camry as a nice little old lady daily and my bike and my Z for when I want to have fun.

A 21' Ninja 650 at $8,199 MSRP curb weight is 423.4LBS.
A 21' Ninja 400 at $5,599 MSRP curb weight is 368.2LBS.

So just from those numbers alone yes there are bunch of other factors its roughly a 50lb difference between the bikes and a $2,699 cash difference. I'm only shooting for 60 hp, but with only about $1,500 you have half of that number done. What else could be done in that price margin before there wouldn't be a good return?

#6 ·
I get the concept of having a project bike but I cant help but feel that when you start spending more than the retail price again on a street bike (racing is different) then would that money have not been better spent on a more powerful bike initially if the end goal your looking for is horse power? And like Flash said, if those gains are all in the last 2K rpm and perhaps at the sacrifice of some low to mid range power then it may as well be a dedicated track bike.

#21 ·
Understood, I crunched a few numbers below and I don't want to make a huge sacrifice for the mid/low range power but since were talking about it, there isn't much to begin with, right? :ROFLMAO: Build the bike, have fun while doing it, get bragging rights, then sell it to someone who wants a track toy and can understand an appreciate the work that has been done to it when I decide to upgrade.

#7 ·
@Kiwi Rider that was my whole thought process going into my last build,shop owner and open checkbook,do I just throw the kitchen sink at this thing? to spend more on it than you can buy a new SS or entry SBK? I felt I can build something within reason,not put bigger pistons or do head/valve work on it and get to or close to the 60rwhp mark. I think there are some bike owners with big dreams and aspirations without the knowledge or $$$$ to back it up !

#8 · (Edited)
60 HP on a 350 lbs. bike is nuts! Power-to-weight ratio will be 0.282. That's roughly the same as the new Yamaha R7. Bananas!!

#10 ·
I don't dwell in the past, sir.

JEZUZ, 315 pounds?! That's a .313 power-to-weight ratio.

#12 ·
I gotta get my bike on scales one of these days. Still unfinished in the weight department. Saving for carbon fairings. Have you seen any aluminum gas tanks out there for the N400?

#15 ·
But for real though, 60 legit HP is definitely achievable. Exhaust, velocity stacks, bored throttle bodies, a good head porting and valve job, thin head gasket, high compression pistons, race cams, combined with a good setup of the cam timing and a kickass fuel map and you'll be at 60 HP. If you run some race fuel, like MR12, and a lower viscosity oil...easily 60. Ceramic bearings inside the transmission and in the wheels, with a lower friction chain will give a bit more power too. There have been some guys that have built theirs to about 65-ish HP....it'll cost somewhere in the $10k-$15k range (not counting the bike itself), but it's definitely doable.

#18 ·
You have alot of information above already, but I would just like to add when I first got my z400 I went on the same research adventure you have seem to have been on. It will always result in the same thing im afriad.

The answer is YES, you can reach 60hp, but it will involve opening up the engine (where the REAL cost comes). I don't think you will have much luck hitting 60hp without important things like bigger pistons/opened heads/cam & valve changes. And as mentioned, from a value perspective, this is exponentially worse than just accepting the 50+ hp you can get for your "basic" easy bolt ons.

I think its easy to loose perspective on just how insanely good value adding an exhaust, intake (norton stacks) and ecu flash actually is. you will EASILY get 50+hp from these, you may even nudge into the mid 50's. If you really want more speed, you can cheat and change your sprockets to suit your needs (on what you consider more important), and all of a sudden you are in the low 12's/high 11's quater mile times. ON A 400CC bike, that cost you under $10k brand new with easy bolt ons.

This is the conclusion i came to and the exact path im taking. Think about that from the persective of a car also. That is insane value for the speed you get. If you want faster than that, you are better off just spending the $20k you would spend anyway, and buying a z H2! Because don't forget the same principles apply to a bigger bike. Add an exhaust, intake and tune to squeeze out another 10% or so.

#26 ·
@ninjagjax quite sensitive are we? have you actually done an engine swap in anything? anyone can buy a "supercar" build something from scratch and maybe someone like me won't poke the bear when they come onto a site like this with aspirations without any knowledge or the background.! we are all here to help each other out from beginners to guys in the industry,not everyone is capable of doing an 'LS' swap in a miatia and not everyone has the funds to make a N400 get to 60rwhp!!! this is a 400 forum not a 650. read over the thread to see what most are saying.if you want something with more HP then spend the money and buy something that has it already otherwise bust open your piggy bank and prepare to dump it all if you want to get a N400 to 60 !! if you want an estimate on how much you ill need to spend,feel free to DM and i'll give you the discouraging #s

#27 ·
This is something that I’ve been looking into myself for my ninja.
I did find a article that said that 60hp is achievable. Between what Spears Racing and Norton Motorsports offer combined with a custom tune you will get there. They offer pre-worked heads, cams, high comp piston kits, velocity stacks, bored out throttle bodies etc. And Spears racing is bringing out a 2mm oversized bore kit for the Ninja 400 as well.
These are some of the things that I’ve been looking into for mine. So far I’ve just done exhaust, high flow air filter, clutch upgrade, removed ram tubes from air box, power commander, installed the FT ECU flash kit harness to my bike. Definitely a decent difference compared to stock but I do want to do some engine work as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.