Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't purchased a N400 YET, but I've been hounding local dealers, looking at reviews, reading this forum, etc.

I have two adventure bikes in my garage today, a BMW 650 single and a 1000 V-Strom. Just sold a bagger (Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad) that I had less than a year.

Wondering if anyone here with significant riding experience has riden both an ABS and non-ABS version. If so, was there any notable difference in the brake feel and performance? I've read the ABS lacks some feel and pulses under heavy use, wondering if non-ABS performs the same.

Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
Haven't purchased a N400 YET, but I've been hounding local dealers, looking at reviews, reading this forum, etc.

I have two adventure bikes in my garage today, a BMW 650 single and a 1000 V-Strom. Just sold a bagger (Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad) that I had less than a year.

Wondering if anyone here with significant riding experience has riden both an ABS and non-ABS version. If so, was there any notable difference in the brake feel and performance? I've read the ABS lacks some feel and pulses under heavy use, wondering if non-ABS performs the same.

Thanks
Just non-abs here. Front brakes are great. They feel good to me and really smooth. The back are typical motorcycle back brakes which work if u really get into but not something to rely on. I never use back that much anyway. Honestly love this bike though and it has a permanent place in my garage. Lots of fun, cheap insurance and a blast to ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
These are such light bikes ABS is not necessary for an experienced rider like yourself. If you can slide your back tire without locking up your front brake then you won't miss ABS.

·
Registered
120 Posts
@Fuby posted this video in a different thread, but I think it lays bare the disparities between traditional braking and ABS braking systems.

Personally, I like the ABS. There have been a few close calls where the ABS has saved my ass in that grabbing a handful of brake neither threw me, or locked the front wheel causing me to dump the front end. The braking may be a little more squishy, but the "performance gains" to be had without it depend greatly upon the rider's skill on that particular bike, the obstacle, and the weather.

·
Registered
377 Posts

Thanks
Its lust until you ride it! :grin:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I purchased a non-ABS model yesterday. Heading out of town for a couple of days so I'll pick it up Friday morning. Almost giddy.:D

ABS or not.. Welcome to the forums.. The Ninja 400 is my FIRST EVER Bike with ABS and I am glad to see ABS come to the Motorcycle market in all sizes. It is a no brainer that in a PANIC condition, ABS is the safest bet.. besides.. Insurance companies love to give a discount for it.. and obviously some people have learned a way to turn it off for some purpose or the other... :grin::nerd::grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts