Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Director of Moderation
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People have been asking in the past on here about getting a ninja 400 to 60hp and what it takes to do that. Well I finally found the secret sauce to that! Turns out all you have to do, is sit on your ass for a few weeks and wait for the weather to cool down a bit, and then take it to the dyno! LOL No other modifications needed!

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

Believe it or not, the 2 curves represent the same bike (mine) in the exact same form, on the same dyno, with the same settings on the dyno, but taken about 6 weeks apart. The pink was my final tune, done sometime in September, before racing at Daytona. That was the fuel map I made for VP MR12. I then ran 2 races and a few practice sessions at Daytona using the same fuel, then parked it in the garage. Even left the MR12 in the tank, which you're really not supposed to do because it can clog up fuel filter and injectors. I finally got the motivation to flush it all out, thinking for sure my fuel system is messed up by now, so I took it to the dyno and ran it until I got rid of all the MR12, then flushed it with regular 93 pump gas. Nothing at all was changed on the bike and now I got almost 3 hp more! lol

I like to think that MR12 is like fine wine and it just gets better with age...but in reality that's that exact opposite, and the only difference here was the environmental conditions. Today was a cooler and humidity lower than several weeks ago. Not sure by how much, but I would say around 10-15 degrees cooler. Not sure about the difference in humidity though. So far for that SAE correction factor, right? :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did the opposite and took my (stock powertrain) bike from 44-45 HP down to 37-38 HP by moving to Colorado... :(

I just checked the rulebook for the racing org here and it only mentions OEM installed forced induction, nothing about aftermarket FI... Time for turbo Ninja???

·
Director of Moderation
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the opposite and took my (stock powertrain) bike from 44-45 HP down to 37-38 HP by moving to Colorado... :(

I just checked the rulebook for the racing org here and it only mentions OEM installed forced induction, nothing about aftermarket FI... Time for turbo Ninja???
Yeah that CO air will do it...although I wouldn't have guessed such a large difference. I figured about a 4-hp drop. When I raced at High Plains with MRA, one of the local guys there told me all the bikes there are about 10% down on power from where they should be. I can't remember the elevation at HPR, but I think it was somewhere around 4500 feet? Maybe a bit more?

·
Registered
77 Posts
if i understood this right, the bike is all stock and the only thing you did was dyno it?
No, the Ninja makes around 45 hp stock.
This guy has done a bunch of stuff to his bike, and he measured 57hp on a dyno. He didn't change it after that. A couple weeks later he took it to the dyno again and got 60 hp because the air was cooler / more dense / less humid that day.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm kind of lost on this as well. Getting it to 57-60 hp is really impressive, but I'm not clear on what was done to the bike? Is there a more detailed description of how this was achieved?

·
Registered
3 Posts
This guy has done a bunch of stuff to his bike, and he measured 57hp on a dyno. He didn't change it after that. A couple weeks later he took it to the dyno again and got 60 hp because the air was cooler / more dense / less humid that day.
Oh right, I thought it was weird if he got that much out of a stock ninja. Thanks for explaining

·
Director of Moderation
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm glad he followed through because I was going to reply to your post with one of those "joke went over your head" memes, because I was sure he was joking with that comment. I continued reading though and saw that he wasn't lol Not sure how anyone could assume a 57hp ninja is stock...especially when I mentioned MR12. Stock and MR12 don't really go together in the same sentence lol

Oh right, I thought it was weird if he got that much out of a stock ninja. Thanks for explaining

·
Director of Moderation
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lolololololo! Yea, it’s stock. 😎
Supersport/superstock legal.....MA Jr Cup legal! 🤣 🤣 🤣

You liar!

I know you added a couple more stickers.
Actually now that you mention it, I did in fact add about 4 or 5 TST stickers since that last dyno session....hmm....maybe that was it!

·
Director of Moderation
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm kind of lost on this as well. Getting it to 57-60 hp is really impressive, but I'm not clear on what was done to the bike? Is there a more detailed description of how this was achieved?
Yes, most likely in my racing thread for 2021 that I started about a year ago. I've always been transparent with my mods and even most people I race with all know what I've done...unlike so many others who seem to hide things.

Akrapovic exhaust
aRacer ECU custom tuned per individual cylinder by me
custom airbox made by me using the Norton stacks (I've used the TST stacks in it as well which gives me a bit more power in the mid-range but less at the top end, right now I still have the Norton stacks in it)
bored throttle bodies (done by Norton)
race cams (from Norton)
thin head gasket
ported head and valve job (done by someone I wouldn't recommend...I'm pretty sure this actually hurt my output instead of help it, cuz with all the mods I had, I should've seen another 2-3 hp, but the porting job was total ****)

·
Director of Moderation
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Come to think of it now, one change I did make was swapping the wheels to the forged aluminum MOS wheels. With the rear wheel being 2 lbs lighter and have less rolling resistance in the bearings, I imagine that accounts for some of the power gain, but not sure how much. Now I need to do that test some day when I get a chance. Do some back-to-back runs with stock rear wheel and the forged rear wheel. I'm sure @jetpilot01 would be interested to see those results as well :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts