Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I am writing this thread from Spain. I own a 300 Ninja, and was decided to purchase a Ninja 400 not very long from now. To my surprise, I noticed that the 400 models that are sold here in Spain do not appear in the spanish offical web. Thinking that it could be a mistake, I phoned the Madrid dealer and, to my surprise, they told me that, due to the hard restrictions that Euro 5 rules imply, Kawasaki has stopped the production of the 400 models. In fact, they have not received any 400 bikes along mid 2021.
Mates, have you heard this as well? I am shocked. The SSP300 world champion cannot stop the production of these fantastic bikes!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I suspect that the "stopping" applies only to the SALE of Ninja 400 / Z400 in EUROPE. Many of the motorcycle manufacturers have stopped the SALE of certain models in Europe because those models are unable to meet the latest European emissions standards, which are VERY tight.

In some cases, those manufacturers have also stopped PRODUCTION of certain models, because without the European market, there was insufficient total demand to justify continued production.

In other cases, some manufacturers have TEMPORARILY discontinued production of certain models, while they figure out how to modify those models sufficiently to make them emissions compliant. For example, it appears that Suzuki did that with the Hayabusa model, and that model is now back in production, at least for some markets.

We can expect this more and more in the future. Both the motorcycle and car markets are changing over from internal combustion engines to electric motors, in response to strict government policies worldwide. I'm sure that, in the future, electric motorcycles will have the combinations of power, range, weight, and cost to be "practical" for us. In the meantime, we can expect to see a slow changeover as internal combusiton powered motorcyles slowly give way to electric motorcycles, just as horses and carriages slowly gave way to motorcars.

Jim G

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm extremely surprised given the Ninja 400 is a recent design and likely a big seller for Kawasaki. It would be at the top of the list of bikes they'd want available, surely.
I wonder if it failed on a technicality or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts