Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ultra-high-density foam is brutal. Dissecting it shows a deep saddle though. Wondering if Corbin's up to the challenge? After an hour it's uncomfortable.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah i requested a high end non twig and berries crunching seat. Heres to hoping! This is probably my only complaint with the bike, well that and the windscreen is short but sport bike son!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anyone have any leads on a good aftermarket brand that might make one? I'm on the plank bandwagon so far - really my only complaint about the bike!

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
If anyone has purchased the Kawasaki comfort seat, please let us know. It would be great to find out if it has much better padding and increases comfort for longer rides.
Is this the one that raises the seat height by an inch too?
I'm really interested in hearing about this option as it may make the bike more comfortable. There was a big review in the Australian Motorcycle News last edition of the N400 and the reviewer said Kawasaki provided both seat options for him and he choose to use the taller option. Reckoned it didn't push you into the tank as much as the standard seat either.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Is this the one that raises the seat height by an inch too?
I'm really interested in hearing about this option as it may make the bike more comfortable. There was a big review in the Australian Motorcycle News last edition of the N400 and the reviewer said Kawasaki provided both seat options for him and he choose to use the taller option. Reckoned it didn't push you into the tank as much as the standard seat either.
Yes it is and it's listed with at $199.95 USD on the US Kawasaki website here. I'm torn since I'm hoping some cheaper and better aftermarket options become available soon but I'm not sure if I really want to wait much longer so I may just end up ordering it from the dealer. I don't have much butt for cushioning so the stock seat starts to cause pain around 2 hours of riding.

The other concern I have with ordering it is that the website only mentions the following "Made to tailor fit and complement the Ninja® 400 motorcycle, this seat enhances riding comfort for taller riders." So it's hard to know if the additional foam will help much with comfort for longer rides.

Are you also considering getting the extended seat?

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Yes it is and it's listed with at $199.95 USD on the US Kawasaki website here. I'm torn since I'm hoping some cheaper and better aftermarket options become available soon but I'm not sure if I really want to wait much longer so I may just end up ordering it from the dealer. I don't have much butt for cushioning so the stock seat starts to cause pain around 2 hours of riding.

The other concern I have with ordering it is that the website only mentions the following "Made to tailor fit and complement the Ninja® 400 motorcycle, this seat enhances riding comfort for taller riders." So it's hard to know if the additional foam will help much with comfort for longer rides.

Are you also considering getting the extended seat?
I was... but now that I've seen the price I'm re-considering! :smile_big:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm sure some aftermarket seat options will be out soon. The one from Kawasaki seems way overpriced since it's like the same kind of foam(rocks?) and just a bit taller.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If anyone has purchased the Kawasaki comfort seat, please let us know. It would be great to find out if it has much better padding and increases comfort for longer rides.
Yes, it came with my bike. It's shaped like the Spanish Donkey torture device, hence it doesn't get much use from me. That being said, you can easily walk whilst mounted with it installed.

Pic of said device if you were wondering:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yeah i requested a high end non twig and berries crunching seat. Heres to hoping! This is probably my only complaint with the bike, well that and the windscreen is short but sport bike son!
I'm used to sitting on my big sack, so the seat seems pretty comfy to me!

:grin:

But, all kidding aside, I've ridden much worse. I'm sure that pretty soon there will be more options. In the meantime, there are quite a few places that do custom seats on a stock seat pan.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes it’s long but it’s a good detail review. Based on the review I may end up buying it if the dealer I bought my bike will give me 20-30% discount on accessories. Otherwise I will hold out for cheaper aftermarket options.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got the OEM tall seat and I definitely prefer it. It's not really anything other than thicker than original/short seat. I mean, shape-wise it's the same. I feel it squish going over bumps where I didn't get that feeling before. I'm also 6'1" and it put me in a better riding position overall. Legs less bent when riding, splayed when stopped. OTOH I have to lean/tuck more to avoid the same amount of wind so I might get the tall windscreen at some point, but I have lower hanging fruit: getting my jacket taken in or getting a new one so I'm not a sail.

I can't really compare either seat to anything else though since it's my first bike. All I can say is that I don't get too uncomfortable with either and I have a skinny ass.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Anyone every thought of adding those gel pads? I've seen people cut into seats to add them though I have no idea how much more comfortable they are.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Anyone every thought of adding those gel pads? I've seen people cut into seats to add them though I have no idea how much more comfortable they are.
I actually tried adding a gel pad during my big ride preparation. I didn't like the one I tried to use, I removed it and wound up using 2 x 1" pieces of mildly hard foam for a test seat. It made the trip ok, it was much better than stock seat. I have obtained a 2" piece of soft foam to give that a try. I just need to take the time to cut and shape it. (this weeks project, which until I find the exact formula, I am just going to temporarily use the lycra blend material and temporarily secure it underneath, instead of stapling it.)

I will include a pic of the test seat with 2" of mildly hard foam. Lycra blend material was used to cover over it in the test run, which underneath the lycra fabric and 2" of foam is the stock seat and cover, (with no altering of the original seat at this time, again, just all temporary until I find the correct formula for me).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 101 Posts