Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Bought a Tail Tidy from R sports

decided to fit it today so took it all OEM bits off, says in info sheet if using original indicators
undo one screw which holds indicator to stem, I spent over an hour trying undo them but was able to do it.
So I decided to put it all back together ,I then found a problem I put all bits in a plastic bait box,
I could not find it,ive recently had a new shed so im slowly moving stuff about.

ive been a bit down this week cos I lost my wife of 56 about two months,ago

so I thought im going mad,so my dog and went round block,
came had a cup of tea,still did not find bits,
From my old shed ive moved some chest of draws and a old pc desk,
my little dog came running in shed playing a ball which rolled under pc desk,
And what do PC Desk have a sliding a Tray and on the bloody tray tucked away was all the bits im looking for
im sure im losing it

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sorry for your loss mate, hopefully you'll get the bike back together now and can have a nice ride.

Yes, those indicator screws are seriously tight from the factory, and not easy to get at but removing the rear fender is well worth the effort.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for your loss mate, hopefully you'll get the bike back together now and can have a nice ride.

Yes, those indicator screws are seriously tight from the factory, and not easy to get at but removing the rear fender is well worth the effort.

Ive put it back together now will order some bullet indicators tomorrow, I have angled socket screw drivers
but could not shift them, cant get moles on them

Cant put pics up on here,
keith

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had to saw those screws on mine, even after drowning them for a day in WD40. **** it they are tight.

·
Registered
744 Posts
There's no need to remove the screw holding the backing plate of turn stalk. Just give it a good tug. But if you have to remove stubborn bolt, get out the old torch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
How did you get saw in to them I don't want to break OEM Stem???
I used a hacksaw. The heads had already spanned so I had no option other than carve a new trench for a normal screwdriver.

Something like this:
One Way to Remove a Stripped Screw or Bolt

I really do not remember how the positioning went but I remember I was able to get enough of the hacksaw in there. Thinking in retrospect I could have used my dremel.

But it worked and thanfully I could even reuse the stock screw.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's no need to remove the screw holding the backing plate of turn stalk. Just give it a good tug. But if you have to remove stubborn bolt, get out the old torch.

Don't be stupid,,you cant use a Torch the rubber would burn,

other bolts yes you can try heat ,but not in this instant,

keith

·
Registered
40 Posts
i also installed a tail tidy....guess what? you can just pop out the rubber of those signal lights without removing the screw. :)

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
The trick to removing those little stock turn signal retaining screws is to bend the stock undertail outwards just enough so you can fit the screwdriver in there to get a good straight bite on it. Also remember it’s JIS style Phillips head so if you don’t use the right one they will easily strip out...
I just removed mine the other day and they were really tight from the factory. I tried using my little Z shaped one but I could not get enough torque on it...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Since the tail had to come off anyway, I just took the tail off and removed them while off the bike, that worked pretty good. They were stubborn though

·
Registered
807 Posts
Bend it

The rear fender is slightly flexible, bend it and you can get to those little screws straight on. I figured it out while trying different tools to get to it. The job took longer than I thought, but I was glad to get that car fender off!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Finally joined the club and installed a short tail aka tail tidy, fender eliminator, a couple days ago.
Not something I planned to do, but with that wale tail of a fender flapping and amplifying vibration, my big Thai license plate mount cracked and fell off. After a few hours retracing my route, I finally recovered the license plate, but swore to replace the monstrosity called a fender as soon as possible.

Concerning the screws on the turn signals, I used a vice-grip / locking pliers to grab the head of the screws to break them free. (Old mechanic, old trick)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Concerning the screws on the turn signals, I used a vice-grip / locking pliers to grab the head of the screws to break them free. (Old mechanic, old trick)
I ended up using vice grips also after stripping the JIS screw heads...Vice grips on the edge of the screw and it came loose..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not sure where else to ask, but question related to a tail tidy.

I've sourced female connector plugs for indicators to make for a clean install with aftermarket indicators, however does anyone know where I can get my hands on the female locking connector that's used for the number plate light?
I'm trying to keep it all plug and play so I can unplug and revert back to stock if ever needed.

I'm based in Australia, and have found some on eBay in the US, although has a ridiculous price tag of $36 AUD for one set of connectors once shipping and import taxes have been added.

Cheers in advance :)

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Not sure where else to ask, but question related to a tail tidy.

I've sourced female connector plugs for indicators to make for a clean install with aftermarket indicators, however does anyone know where I can get my hands on the female locking connector that's used for the number plate light?
I'm trying to keep it all plug and play so I can unplug and revert back to stock if ever needed.

I'm based in Australia, and have found some on eBay in the US, although has a ridiculous price tag of $36 AUD for one set of connectors once shipping and import taxes have been added.

Cheers in advance :)
I know they are in the states, but did you try...
https://cycleterminal.com

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
In the past I have just cut the OEM connector off on the bike side of the connection and replaced it with something compatible with the tail tidy wiring.
Both times I have ended up just selling the bike with the tail tidy on as it makes the bike look better in the selling pictures and when you change bikes your never going to buy the same bike again and need the tail tidy right?
However... in the event that you really really do want to rtn the bike to completely stock and try to sell the tail tidy separately then you just cut the number plate wiring connector on the OEM plate holder side and replace it with one compatible to the one you fitted when you installed the tail tidy.
No perspective seller is going to look in there and go "that's not a stock connector plug". Lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts