Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, financed the bike. I thought they told me tax tag and title was included in the price, thats normally included right? I know on a car it is.

My tag came in and they are telling me for the tag and title its $194? The ****? And on top of that i thought you dont get the title until you pay it off, i thought the lein holder holds the title until its paid off.

·
Registered
152 Posts
So, financed the bike. I thought they told me tax tag and title was included in the price, thats normally included right? I know on a car it is.

My tag came in and they are telling me for the tag and title its $194? The ****? And on top of that i thought you dont get the title until you pay it off, i thought the lein holder holds the title until its paid off.
Most places in the US, I believe, collect taxes (exise tax) upon transferring the title into your name. You will get the title back in your name with the lien holder listed on the title. In order to sale the motorcycle, you’ll have to get a letter showing you paid the loan off (lien release).

·
Registered
457 Posts
The tag and title should be included. If it isn't the dealer should tell you up front.

You are correct they should keep the title until it's paid off. I haven't financed a motorcycle but I have sold them the guys have gotten loans to buy them the loan holder keeps it. All the buyer gets is a copy in case they get pulled over.

·
Registered
199 Posts
^^ Who keeps the title depends on the state in the US.
When I lived in NY, buyer got the title but the lien was notated on it. In VA, bank keeps the title until paid-off if there is a lien.

That said, not sure who "owns" the bike under some of the Kawasaki promos. Some sound like a credit card which would technically be unsecured as opposed to a true loan. I honestly didn't look all that close as I purchased mine outright.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Check your Invoice/Bill of Sale. There should be a line item for License/Registration Fees. Are they included on yours?

I purchased mine by applying for the 0% 12 months promo. I could of paid cash for the bike but decided there was no major cons with the 0% promo and I received the $200 prepaid visa card. So a win win...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Where I live it's not included in the price, but it's fully paid at the time of purchase and shown as a line item on the paperwork.

It sounds like where you live you get a title that shows there's a lien. When your loan is paid off the lender will send you a "lien release" a.k.a. a "lien waiver" that you can use to get the bike re-titled, either in your name without a lien showing or in someone else's name if you sell it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When my mother paid off her accord that is when she got the title, guess i gotta go check my paperwork. This stealership pulled a fast one.

·
Registered
199 Posts
For what its worth, I think there is a title fee that you will need to pay (indeed, typically I've seen this rolled into the total amount financed unless you specifically request otherwise). That fee exists regardless of who will actually hold the title (yourself or bank) as the fee is to actually generate the title. That cost varies by state.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts