Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The instructions from T-Rex Racing only tell you to take off the lower fairing. I completed this without removing the middle fairings, but it would have been a lot easier to install these with the middle fairings off the bike. Also the instructions don't give a clear torque, the Service manual states 87 in. lbs. for the clutch and stator cover bolts.

Remove lower Fairing and lowest middle fairing bolt to help give clearance and tool access
pic

Stator cover first
Stator cover
Stator cover backside
Stator cover backside with bushings installed
Stator cover location

You can hold the stator cover in place to figure out which bolts needs to come out. Remove them and then ensure your bushings are still in place and insert bolts to check for fitment and the like.
pic

Now do the same with the clutch cover
clutch cover backside
clutch cover backside with bushings installed
clutch cover location NOTE: The bottom bolt is not only longer in length but also has a bracket that sits in this location.

Do the same mockup procedure as with the stator cover.
pic

Now for final install, going to use some blue threadlocker for this. Pull each bolt out individually, and apply some blue (semi-permanent) threadlocker.
permatex
Doesn't take much

Start each initial bolt by hand, double check that the bushing is still in place. Make sure to run all 3 bolts down all the way before starting the torquing procedure.
Here is some pictures of the long bolt with bracket orientation.
pic1
pic2
The bracket will be slightly pinched by this cover, I'm not worried about it so I left it as is.

Torque to 87 in. lbs. as per the service manual. Torque the furthest back bolt first, then the two front ones. Due to the materials used, things are going to flex and compress as you torque. Double check the torque multiple times, I did it about 5 times before the bolts stopped moving on me.
Left side
Right side

Here is the finished product
Left side
Right side

I definitely recommend removing the middle fairings, if you have any concerns about scratching them.

Imgur album

·
Registered
440 Posts
Had all my fairing off this weekend so I went ahead and installed the T-Rex Frame Sliders as well as the T-Rex Clutch/Stator Cover Protectors. Thanks for the tips! Everything went on without a hitch and they look fantastic. I hope I never have to find out how well they work!

Reactions: L337sponge
1 - 3 of 3 Posts