Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone noticed a swishing or slushy sound that appears when pulling the clutch in with no throttle or brakes?

Like when seeing a stop ahead and coasting to it?

I put the bike down, so I'm worried it's not normal.

Can anyone confirm this is a thing the 400 does?

I'm fairly certain it's not the gas tank and that the sound is coming from below or behind me.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Has anyone noticed a swishing or slushy sound that appears when pulling the clutch in with no throttle or brakes?

Like when seeing a stop ahead and coasting to it?

I put the bike down, so I'm worried it's not normal.

Can anyone confirm this is a thing the 400 does?

I'm fairly certain it's not the gas tank and that the sound is coming from below or behind me.
I rarely coast to a stop except when I DS from 2nd to neutral, but when I have coasted, I didn't notice any such noise, just the gas in the tank sloshing about is all. Might want to check your rotors if theres even a slight pulse feedback when you do break.. Couple things to pay attention to - Does the noise diminish when the Rpm's drop or does it keep pace with your vehicle speed..? Does the bike pull to the left or right..?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ight want to check your rotors if theres even a slight pulse feedback when you do break..
Haven't noticed a pulse. I've gotten a feel for ABS on quiet roads/lots but practicing hard stops, and am aware of that type of pulse, but braking is smooth enough to go unnoticed. Front brakes need adjustment due to the lever bending and the cable having to deal with that force. But they're more uncalibrated than anything. No pulsing.

Couple things to pay attention to - Does the noise diminish when the Rpm's drop or does it keep pace with your vehicle speed..? Does the bike pull to the left or right..?
I think the noise does indeed diminish with RPMs. But, I think the noise appears and peaks during this slowdown. Yes, I think sloshing happens as the RPMs wind down, and that's when they start too. I will pay attention next time and let you know.

The bike doesn't pull... this was one thing that got looked at by several people at the dealer.

Sounds like your chain going round and round to me.
That would make my smile so hard if it's the case. The slack is all in spec (just checked today), but I can actually picture this being the origin. Interesting, will look out for this too!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have not noticed any swishing or slushy sound when pulling in the clutch but I also don't coast to a light/stop sign and downshift to the appropriate gear before coming to a stop. Plus the engine breaking slows the bike down without coasting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still no clue what it is. I think it must be the chain and/or transmission just trying to move with as little friction as possible and that's what it sounds like.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I learned a new word today: stator. Thanks, Kiwi.

I feel like this is the likely candidate based on the few paragraphs I read about it.

It's rotary bladed energy converter that lives in fluids and works to change the way they move. It and the things it works with behave differently at different speeds...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wrong kind of stator.. That stator is part of an automatic transmission in a car.

The stator referenced when it comes to motorcycles, ATV's, etc is part of the electrical system. The stator creates AC Power and the regulator rectifies it into DC. The electrical stator is not in fluid.

I learned a new word today: stator. Thanks, Kiwi.

I feel like this is the likely candidate based on the few paragraphs I read about it.

It's rotary bladed energy converter that lives in fluids and works to change the way they move. It and the things it works with behave differently at different speeds...

Reactions: corners

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't suppose what you are hearing is the brake pads rubbing on the rotors???? Especially if the bike as not been used for a few days and a light layer of "rust" is on the disk??

·
Registered
13 Posts
I notice the same thing once in awhile. Sounds like sand paper rubbing on something lightly. Honestly im pretty sure that its just the chain moving. Mentioned it to the dealer at first service and they said nothing was amiss. I also notice a weird noise right around 7-8k. Almost sounds like someone lightly crinkling a pop can. Im pretty sure that its just something vibrating at that rpm. Sound comes from the front left. My last bike (Rip Ninja 250r smashed by a falling tree) did the same. I had 5 or 6 shops look at it, posted on the forums, and no one had any idea. Never caused me any issues in 25k miles on the 250 so im just ignoring it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts