Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
other then stock OEM shock?

?anybody found a other then OEM shock (GSX-R etc...) that will fit the N4?
even if alittle longer then stock you can always get adjustable dog bones if need to lower back end?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Ninja400r has dropped more suspension bits! Fork brace, Butubo, :tongue4:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Where did you find that chart that shows the 105 is for over 200 lb riders? I will say that on my ZX6R, I had an Ohlins TTX shock that had a 110 spring on which was too stiff, then switched to a 100 and had to put a lot of preload on it, so the 105 would've been perfect for me. But of course that's a different shock and different bike, so you can't really compare it like that.
Son of a gun, they updated it. Now when you go there the default says:

Select your spring rate here. Default rate is for 170-200 lb rider.

They must have changed it based on geometry and bike that 105 was too soft for up to 220. So you would be a +1, 110 to hit your range. :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Took em long enough! Showing rear shock spring rate as 10kg/mm. No wonder my butt was taking a kicking :biggrin:

According to Kawasaki the rear shock spring is 94N/m, which is 9.585 KG/m(you can see my attachment in the Shock Swap w/cur gen GSX-R 600/750 thread) ....so I think they got that 10 wrong there, unless they had an over stiff spring they tested....??

So yeah, Scook2397, you are right, their numbers are off on some stuff, but finally they posted the info they collected a year ago :grin:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
so was the K-Tech Tech correct? is the OEM N4 spring slightly heavier then the OEM GSX-R spring?
Well according to the Racetech site the GSXR600 OEM rear shock spring rate is 9.4kg/mm:
https://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Suzuki/GSX-R600/2006-09
So it's pretty close to the 9.58kg/mm of the N400. But do we believe Racetech still? I think my faith has been shaken Lol.

Either way my personal view of the stock suspension set up on the N400 is that the fork spring rate of .77kg/mm is pretty much right for the majority of road riding situations but the rear spring rate is too stiff unless you are a heavier rider or carry a pillion regularly.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I had the rear shock set at 5 most of the season and when I had a suspension expert at NYST set the suspension, he turned the rear shock down to 2. The bike was soooo much more comfortable to ride.
I have the Ktech 9.0 springs, heavier weight fork oil and pre load adjusters. I weigh around 175 lbs. The bike feels awesome on the track! I just added some Anodizing rearsets. They were a pain too put on. I will give them a road test this Saturday at the track. Tried of scrapping the stock pegs.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thread resurrection!

So plenty of options available in the market now. I see that Ohlins has two versions available, KA744 (street) and KA745 (supersport spec). There's Penske, bitubo, k-tech, Nitron, race tech.

Any preferences and if so why?

Thanks.

·
Director of Moderation
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Thread resurrection!

So plenty of options available in the market now. I see that Ohlins has two versions available, KA744 (street) and KA745 (supersport spec). There's Penske, bitubo, k-tech, Nitron, race tech.

Any preferences and if so why?

Thanks.
Bitubo, just to be different! :p

·
Registered
241 Posts
You're dead to me. There is no hope for you.
You're right. I should be more reasonable. I guess its down to Maxton, Hyperpro or YSS. :sneaky:

Best deal I'm able to get is on the ohlins supersport spec KA745. I think I'll go with that one. It has a height of 320mm, adjustment +6-0 mm, and 105 N/mm spring.

As far as the forks, I'll just be doing a re-spring and oil change for now.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Have you been able to find out exactly the difference between the KA744 and KA745? All I can find is “stiffer damping” for WSS.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This Is Mine,that I am using from 50 days,Bitubo gas shock IMG20210609165513.jpg IMG20210605081417.jpg official price near 900 euros.Now bike Is totally changed,more more stable going fast and with baggage or passenger(I've Hyperpro forks springs too un ).

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I'm still a little bit surprised that Hyperpro hasn't done a Streetbox for our bikes. It was a popular thing for owners of older Ninja 650s. The Streetbox is a kit with an emulsion shock with rebound adjustment, progressive front fork springs and oil, and recommended settings for the bike. If I recall correctly, it was under $700 US. So it was a good, cheap fix for a lousy suspension.

Does the lack of interest on their part imply that our stock suspension is actually kinda good, or at least good enough that a relatively inexpensive fix is not worth doing? The popular opinion on the forum concerning suspension on the first generation Ninja 650R was that you could choose anything at random and it would be a better shock.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts