Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 2010 Suzuki GSXR600 x2 2018/19 N400
1,110 Posts
@JFMNINJA400 just a note, there are 2 separate issues, weak clutch assembly as a whole ( slipping ) correct fix is installing a true slippper clutch esp for any type of hard street and track riding and then comes the trans, the dog legs are rounded so the gear never is quite locked in place and thats where it will jump outa gear like between 4th and 5th

cup evos over Qs any day of the frickn day week year !!!

· Registered
114 Posts
The more weight you strip off, the better everything works, suspension, tires, clutch, acceleration.

Reactions: b0Xcrash

· Registered
114 Posts
@McRat i didn't see wheels in your lisrt of "weight" reduction and the wheels are probably one of the most important !
I didn't specify anything specific, but here is a basic list:
  • Take a crap first
  • Ride nude
  • Drain oil
  • Inhale helium and hold breath
  • Remove air in tires
etc

· Registered
1,181 Posts
@JFMNINJA400 just a note, there are 2 separate issues, weak clutch assembly as a whole ( slipping ) correct fix is installing a true slippper clutch esp for any type of hard street and track riding and then comes the trans, the dog legs are rounded so the gear never is quite locked in place and thats where it will jump outa gear like between 4th and 5th

cup evos over Qs any day of the frickn day week year !!!
Once I put in the Barnett springs and the clutch spring, the jumping out of gear from 5th to 4th was gone. I changed 3 of the clutch plates to heavier duty and this lasted for one day. I changed some more plates out and this lasted for 3 sessions. 🤬🤬🤬 Next I will try the 2020 fix, which is the clutch pull rod and the bearing. If that doesn’t work then I will have to go with a new slipper clutch like you recommended. Trying the cheaper fix 1st.

I am a Michelin man and I love the Cup Evos, have been using them the last 2 seasons. I use either the 140 or 150 rear whichever is available.

· Registered
541 Posts
I'm about 140-165 lbs, depending on how much I want to let loose. My 2 cents would be to bump up the front spring rate. I did a bunch of research when I did the Traxxion springs, preload caps, 15w oil, and GSXR 750 shock as well. If I did it again, I'd get at least .85kg. Even with moderate progressive braking, I would prefer a stiffer front end. I'm maxed out on my front preload caps as well.
Another rider here, who probably is a better rider of the two of us had the reverse issue. They started out too stiff and went softer. But .80 is definitely rideable and I had no drama at all leading the intermediate group pack with the setup above + S22s.

If you're on a budget, I would just leave stock progressive springs in and put in preload caps. Especially since you're going to be heavy tracking, you'll probably want a stiffer front end quite quickly.

· Registered
431 Posts
I'm about 140-165 lbs, depending on how much I want to let loose. My 2 cents would be to bump up the front spring rate. I did a bunch of research when I did the Traxxion springs, preload caps, 15w oil, and GSXR 750 shock as well. If I did it again, I'd get at least .85kg. Even with moderate progressive braking, I would prefer a stiffer front end. I'm maxed out on my front preload caps as well.
Another rider here, who probably is a better rider of the two of us had the reverse issue. They started out too stiff and went softer. But .80 is definitely rideable and I had no drama at all leading the intermediate group pack with the setup above + S22s.

If you're on a budget, I would just leave stock progressive springs in and put in preload caps. Especially since you're going to be heavy tracking, you'll probably want a stiffer front end quite quickly.

I did .80 & .85 springs per K-Tech. I honestly haven't really touched my suspension in 3+ years since I did fork springs (plus prelaods) and my GSXR shock. Just rode it at the track and had a ball.

· Registered
541 Posts
Using the stock front components, this fat guy(230lbs in gear)put 25mm spacers(I think, will edit later after looking at notes) and 20wt oil in the forks.
YMMV.
^ not a bad set up. 25mm spacer would eliminate most of the soft part of the progressive spring (.7-1.07kg). Plus the 20wt adds the extra needed damping effect. Make sure you measure the fork oil level. When it’s too high, it’s almost like you dont have a suspension because you can only compress air so much and it progressively and quickly stiffens as travel shortens. I believe my levels were a tad bit lower than Traxxions recommended 88mm? Id have to look through my old threads to find the exact level. When I used their recommended level, i felt like the front almost locking under heavy braking.

Another thing to keep in mind is that heavier fork oil will lose more damping as it ages. For an easy but bad example to visualize, if you have standard 10w vs 20w, and after 2 years it loses 10% viscosity, 9w from 10w is less than 18w from 20w. When I flush my forks, im going to try 20w though. A well known tuner recommended me to go 25w, but i think thats overkill. Im personally not a huge fan of that tuner as well, even though he has a decent reputation and is the suspension guy at many TDs in my area.

• Helpful
Reactions: misnblu

· Registered
681 Posts
^ not a bad set up. 25mm spacer would eliminate most of the soft part of the progressive spring (.7-1.07kg). Plus the 20wt adds the extra needed damping effect. Make sure you measure the fork oil level. When it’s too high, it’s almost like you dont have a suspension because you can only compress air so much and it progressively and quickly stiffens as travel shortens. I believe my levels were a tad bit lower than Traxxions recommended 88mm? Id have to look through my old threads to find the exact level. When I used their recommended level, i felt like the front almost locking under heavy braking.

Another thing to keep in mind is that heavier fork oil will lose more damping as it ages. For an easy but bad example to visualize, if you have standard 10w vs 20w, and after 2 years it loses 10% viscosity, 9w from 10w is less than 18w from 20w. When I flush my forks, im going to try 20w though. A well known tuner recommended me to go 25w, but i think thats overkill. Im personally not a huge fan of that tuner as well, even though he has a decent reputation and is the suspension guy at many TDs in my area.
I have Andreani cartridges now, but I did a pretty good bit of messing with the stock components.
I tried 30wt and it was too much. I liked the 20wt and 80mm oil level.

· Registered
541 Posts
PS - ch
I have Andreani cartridges now, but I did a pretty good bit of messing with the stock components.
I tried 30wt and it was too much. I liked the 20wt and 80mm oil level.
80mm? That seems very high. But it’s quite different for you since you have adjustable carts. On stock hardware I wouldnt recommend that.

so i tried looking at old notes, i believe stock is 80 or 88. Under hard braking, i felt too much chatter fron the front so i reduced it to 110mm per the recommended level from Traxxion. Much better. I had to drain about 25ml from each fork.

Reactions: misnblu
21 - 40 of 46 Posts