Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been wearing my sunglasses inside my helmet, and it works well for me. I was thinking about getting a shaded visor, but it seems like it would get annoying swapping for clear to ride at night when I can just take off my sunglasses and I’m good. What’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I usually go with the full tint visor. I never ride at night. One of my helmets has the drop down visor. I normally do track riding, except for this season so far.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have a modular with an internal tinted visor. I like that I can slide a little button and change from tint to clear without having to stop like I would if I wore sunglasses under my helmet or if I had to change out a visor.

LS2 Strobe Helmet - Solid - RevZilla

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
The glasses under the visor can get uncomfortable. I usually use my tinted visor on my Shoei Qwest if I know I’m riding only during daylight hours. But now I have a Schuberth with a drop down internal sun visor and it works great.

I got caught after sundown with a dark tinted visor one time years ago I don’t recommend it...LOL

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
The glasses under the visor can get uncomfortable. I usually use my tinted visor on my Shoei Qwest if I know I’m riding only during daylight hours. But now I have a Schuberth with a drop down internal sun visor and it works great.

I got caught after sundown with a dark tinted visor one time years ago I don’t recommend it...LOL
Bean thar, dun that! :cool:
Have some old SHOEI w/ iridium shield, 'n Fog City insert (Do they still make those?) fer run'in errands around town, and a SHOEI Air w/ drop down visor 'n POS SENA 30K to connect to radar detector. The drop down visor is nice, but fogs up on cold morn'ins.

·
Registered
774 Posts
On the road I prefer a clear visor and sunglasses as I like that wind in the face feel it gives. Also, I wear quality sunglasses with better optics than a drop down internal visor offers.
For racing though I use a tinted visor as I dont ever race at night.
I hear you on the optics--some of the cheaper brands lack quality.

Cleaning all this is also an issue. Between my prescription glasses, the internal visor, and the external visor, I have 6 surfaces to keep clean.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have found drop down visors to not be quite dark enough for bright sunlight, and they are also not polarized, so they don't cut glare as well. However, where I ride in the Pacific Northwest, there are a lot of trees, and the shade can be quite dark. The drop down visor allows me to switch from sun to shade in an instant, so that is what I go with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wear prescription glasses with a bad astigmatism so a complete pair run about 550 with progressive lenses and I typically have a second pair of sunglasses. I broke my sunglasses after about five years of hard use when I started riding and finally my regular glasses. I was swapping back and forth while riding and that was a pain.

I needed a new helmet to replace the pawn shop GMAX modular helmet I bought to start riding in October and settled on a RPHA 11 but found the RPHA 70-ST had the drop down visor. I bought one and the visor could be darker but I am happy dealing with one pair of glasses and having the option to raise and lower the visor quickly on demand.

It's a pin lock and that helps but for those of us with glasses, something will fog and for me my **** glasses.

·
Registered
21 Posts
for me it depends on the ride, but i usually wear my old-school Bilt with the flip-down interior sunshade, but if I'm going out to the beach or something for more than just the ride, I'll put sunglasses on under there or wear a different helmet with the sunglasses so i have 'em for the helmet-off times.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use sunglasses since its quick and easy given I ride in various conditions and don't have to worry about swapping a visor out. I usually have sunglasses on anyways so it's a no brainer when commuting since its one less thing to carry around.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts