Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, I plan to mostly ride on streets. I've tried researching this, but I can't seem to find a street legal exhaust that improves the sound at least somewhat while still legal. Or is every after market exhaust illegal? I live in CA, USA- which does not have bike inspections as far as i understand and i'd probably be just fine without legal exhaust, but I would prefer not to deal with crap if i get pulled over and it would ease my mind if i could tell an exhaust was street legal here.
Honestly, stupid question cuz no enthusiast seems to have stock exhausts but at the same time, it would be nice to be legal, if possible, without sacrificing too much sound.

Also, a rank of the decibals of popular exhausts i just realized would be cool.. so i can evaluate my level of illegal-ness lol. I'll look into that.
M4 on top?
Akro maybe?
Two bros (too loud imo)
then there was that recent post of hindle EDIT (http://www.ninja400riders.com/forum...sion-forum/2069-better-buy-while-you-can.html) for 202$... so tempting no matter how illegal lol.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sorry, I plan to mostly ride on streets. I've tried researching this, but I can't seem to find a street legal exhaust that improves the sound at least somewhat while still legal. Or is every after market exhaust illegal? I live in CA, USA- which does not have bike inspections as far as i understand and i'd probably be just fine without legal exhaust, but I would prefer not to deal with crap if i get pulled over and it would ease my mind if i could tell an exhaust was street legal here.
Honestly, stupid question cuz no enthusiast seems to have stock exhausts but at the same time, it would be nice to be legal, if possible, without sacrificing too much sound.

Also, a rank of the decibals of popular exhausts i just realized would be cool.. so i can evaluate my level of illegal-ness lol. I'll look into that.
M4 on top?
Akro maybe?
Two bros (too loud imo)
then there was that recent post of hindle EDIT (http://www.ninja400riders.com/forum...sion-forum/2069-better-buy-while-you-can.html) for 202$... so tempting no matter how illegal lol.

The tone never seems to match the sound like you hear thru your pc speakers, so I usually just wait till I hear a bike in town that sounds amazing. I don't care if its not legal to use a louder pipe - Its illegal for anyone to be on there cell phones or texting while driving - Ive been rear ended in my truck 3 times in the last 5 years because of them.

So go get a pipe you like man - its not you go to jail illegal - Cops that have stopped me have never once said I need to change my pipe.

Not to mention you don't want your 400 to continue sounding like a friggin moped. Lol Two bros is my pick Love the low end growl, it's a bit loud thou..!

·
Registered
440 Posts
yep.. we all like "better sound" within the legal limits. I would like to see a smaller slipon that uses the stock heat shield(I like the look) and still sounds awesome legally.. without those criteria, I will probably just stick to stock exhaust.

Reactions: Flash Bantam

·
Registered
744 Posts
Full exhaust = not legal

Slip-on = legal

Reactions: Mr Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in Canada and am wondering the same thing. I'm purchasing the 400 KRT in the spring and I was beside the KRT and I couldn't hear it over my suv (2016 equinox) so I will definitely need to change that.

Canadians have stricter road laws then the boys to the south so I will likely have to keep it legit through and through... So, a legal upgrade pipe or slip on will fabulous. A lot of the time when i get pulled over anything that looks "upgraded" will be scrutinized and have to be validated for legal road use. Pain in the butt!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm in Canada and am wondering the same thing. I'm purchasing the 400 KRT in the spring and I was beside the KRT and I couldn't hear it over my suv (2016 equinox) so I will definitely need to change that.

Canadians have stricter road laws then the boys to the south so I will likely have to keep it legit through and through... So, a legal upgrade pipe or slip on will fabulous. A lot of the time when i get pulled over anything that looks "upgraded" will be scrutinized and have to be validated for legal road use. Pain in the butt!
Jamie, in Ontario the laws are there, but I find it pretty lax. When I had my 2014 Grom safety inspected, in order to sell it, the bike passed easily despite the fact it had a full exhaust, tuned, heavily modded. Vehicle emission testing is required every 2 years, and mechanical/safety test is non-existent; unless you're selling the vehicle. Brand new purchased vehicles are exempt from emissions testing for 5 or 7 years, can't remember.

Never got busted by the cops, but that's a result of drawing unwanted attention.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Street Legal Exhaust

Yoshimura 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 Alpha T Slip-On Exhaust is said to be street compliant. Not sure about California but the video install from Sportbiketrackgear.com says it may be. Check it out on youtube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts