Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever been riding along and noticed something that you do that you've never been aware of?

I was quietly (honestly officer) tootling along on my commute home last week having a nice time slicing through a few corners. I ride on the balls of my feet, and I noticed that whenever I enter a corner I turn my inside boot in towards the bike.

I'm pretty sure it's just a way of gripping the tank, but it's not something that I have previously even thought about, or mentally practiced.

Crikey, I think I need another coffee.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I think that you just became aware of the bio-mechanics involved into gripping the tank, these are not done unconsciously by the body.

Squeezing the knees is more efficient when the feet have a base of support and the toes are turned inside. As a test, you can try squeezing a ball between the knees with the feet pointing outside then with the feet parallel and at last, with the feet pointing inside for comparison. This is the basis of the Wing Chun stance:

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS in Candy Persimmon Red
229 Posts
I think that you just became aware of the bio-mechanics involved into gripping the tank, these are not done unconsciously by the body.

Squeezing the knees is more efficient when the feet have a base of support and the toes are turned inside. As a test, you can try squeezing a ball between the knees with the feet pointing outside then with the feet parallel and at last, with the feet pointing inside for comparison. This is the basis of the Wing Chun stance:
Probably, too, an unconscious (and albeit unreasonable) defensive move to keep your toes from being scraped away on low corners. I catch myself doing that periodically.

·
Registered
72 Posts

My stance is more like this.
Insect Arthropod Eye Terrestrial animal Mantidae

·
Registered
157 Posts
this is a fun question..I'm sure we all have weird little habits. Off the top of my head...I find myself drumming/tapping my fingers on the levers a lot to make sure my hands are loose. On the street I often find myself checking the turn signal cancel button to make sure I'm not riding with my turn signals on, even though it's been almost 20 years of riding and I rarely forget to cancel them.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Fart, then realize i don't have to smell it
Back when I was riding my bike to work even in the winter I would dress for the cold with long johns under regular clothes, sweater, light jacket, then climb into a snowmobile suit. And I had a windbreaker attached to my helmet that tucked into the neck of the snowmobile suit. Well, if ya fart in all of that it takes a little while for it to percolate up to the neck (gives it a chance to marinate) and then sneak into your helmet. But smell it you surely will!!!!

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Back when I was riding my bike to work even in the winter I would dress for the cold with long johns under regular clothes, sweater, light jacket, then climb into a snowmobile suit. And I had a windbreaker attached to my helmet that tucked into the neck of the snowmobile suit. Well, if ya fart in all of that it takes a little while for it to percolate up tthe neck (gives it a chance to marinate) and then sneak into your helmet. But smell it you surely will!!!!
That was ENTIRELY too detailed!
🐉

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I'm regularly guilty of trying to upshift another gear when already in top gear.
Yeah I have always done this as well, thankfully about 50% of the time I was doing it before on other bikes without the indicator; on the 400 I have reduced this habit by 50% just glancing at the gear indicator first....even then I have still done it while looking right at it :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts