Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting an issue with my bike starting. Started happening a few days ago, but at the time the display and headlights would go out immediately when pressing in the ignition. So I put it on a tender for a few days thinking it was just the battery. Try again and now when I turn over the gauge acts as normal going through pre-checks. Flip the kill switch, still normal, go to ignite and the gauge goes out except the neutral light will flash along with a electrical clicking sound heard about under the fuel tank. It sounds like it's trying to engage something, fails, then starts cycling through the process again and repeats. Doesn't seem to be a loss of power anymore though.

Video here: Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

·
Registered
85 Posts
Still think it's the battery. Just because you put it on a tender does not mean it is fully charged and ready to go. That clicking noise is probably the starter solenoid, but there is not enough voltage to turn the engine over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still think it's the battery. Just because you put it on a tender does not mean it is fully charged and ready to go. That clicking noise is probably the starter solenoid, but there is not enough voltage to turn the engine over.
I appreciate it. I knew it was a possibility that the battery is just past its life. The tender is telling me it's fully charged and it's been hooked up for three days. Might just not be enough left in it to get the job done though.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
227 Posts
It might also be a battery connection is not tight -- be sure you can't twist the terminals at all... A loose terminal will work fine until the starter motor relay closes, and then it will drop all the voltage under the high current.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you have a car, make sure the car is OFF. Jump the car battery to the bike, it will be enough to start it if its a bad battery in the bike. Do NOT turn the car on it will be too much juice.

·
Registered
Ninja 400 2018
115 Posts
I believe its the battery too, to me it seems the battery cant even power up the front lights properly and the fuel pump isn't priming correctly if at all. The starter solenoid is clicking fine tho.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe its the battery too, to me it seems the battery cant even power up the front lights properly and the fuel pump isn't priming correctly if at all. The starter solenoid is clicking fine tho.
Yes, maybe the battery is low,
There is also a possibility that the ignition switch may have poor contact. Washing the car or raining may cause oxidation of the ignition switch and poor contact. Try to clean the oxide layer of the ignition switch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts