Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2018 Ninja 400 ABS, my speedometer reads 0 and my odometer doesn't move. I have had this issue several times in the past, and I got it fixed at the dealer 3 or 4 separate times under warranty. Whenever the bikes goes off the ground at all, like to clean the chain, the speedometer and odometer "breaks". The sensors themselves are clean with no visual damage, and I do not see any damage to the cables. The fuses are all good as well. Why is this happening and how can I fix this issue for good, since my warranty is now expired?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine just did this, and its a 2020 ABS.... "glad" to see I'm not the only one. What does the dealer do to fix it? I can ride without the speedo because ill go with the flow but the odometer not ticking up is a big problem on a new bike. Only 650ish miles now and my speeed sensor/cable failed.

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
Hi ClayM, I would think that because this has been an ongoing issue that they would still take care of it. I would find out from the dealership shop what is it they are doing to repair it and why is it happening. Are you using spools to lift the bike in the rear?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi ClayM, I would think that because this has been an ongoing issue that they would still take care of it. I would find out from the dealership shop what is it they are doing to repair it and why is it happening. Are you using spools to lift the bike in the rear?
Mine just did this, and its a 2020 ABS.... "glad" to see I'm not the only one. What does the dealer do to fix it? I can ride without the speedo because ill go with the flow but the odometer not ticking up is a big problem on a new bike. Only 650ish miles now and my speeed sensor/cable failed.
It's a shame you have the same issue, but like you said, i'm glad i'm not the only one with this odd issue.The one dealer I went replaced the rear sensor, it still didn't work, so they replaced the front, then it worked. The other dealer I went to for the warranty said they replaced both the front and back, and that "Kawasaki just kinda threw the book at it".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I do have spools to lift the bike. The dealerships replaced both the front and back speed sensors to get it working. I'll ask if it can be covered under warranty since it's still ongoing like you said, thanks

·
Registered
812 Posts
You describe it as an intermittent fault when the bike moves or is lifted. Either there's a open/loose connection somewhere, that'll be hard to find. Try swapping ECU's. It could be faulty?

·
Registered
8 Posts
mine isn't intermittent and I'm getting error code 24.... getting a new cable/sensor shipped here in a week or two :( the dealer can't even look at the bike for a bit and they are quite a ride away where I feel like a tow would be better than a ride

·
Registered
812 Posts
mine isn't intermittent and I'm getting error code 24.... getting a new cable/sensor shipped here in a week or two :( the dealer can't even look at the bike for a bit and they are quite a ride away where I feel like a tow would be better than a ride

Check the condition of the sensor receptor disc thingy. Forgot what it's called, you, know the black disc ring with the slots. Make sure the slots are clean, unblocked and free of dirt. Make sure it is not warped. The sensor itself may have come loose. Retighten the bolt holding it. Otherwise, your sensor could be broken.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
This happened to me just about 50 minutes ago. I was out riding with the flow on a two-lane, when the speedo went blank for about 20 to 30 seconds and the check engine and abs warning lights were on. Then everything reappeared as normal except the check engine light was still on. The bike rode as normal during this time. I pulled over and turned the engine off and then restarted, and the check engine light was still on. So I took slow backroads home.

I'm hoping it was some random electrical thing, but I have a call into my favorite Ninja store for the service department to call me tomorrow. I'll update if they get a code or have an explanation.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
So I spoke with the service department, and they suggested a loose battery connection. They said to disconnect the battery entirely and then reattach the wires, and that should clear the matter.

Upon investigation, the terminal screws appeared tight, but pulling on the ring leads showed that the negative terminal was loose. Digging deeper into the mystery, I had cross-threaded the nut. So I made a trip to the hardware store and bought a nut that fit the threads. But they only had hex nuts so I had to file it down to fit in the terminal. Now all the electrical connections are tight. Unfortunately the check engine light is still on after taking off both the pos and neg wires.

I'll have to do some additional fiddling tomorrow. This post gives me a game plan: Engine warning light on

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It turns out that the inappropriately fastened negative terminal was the issue. It hasn't reoccurred, implying it has been fixed. And the check engine light didn't reappear after I cleared it and rode a good bit further. I even purposefully took some roads which are in particularly bad shape just to see if anything would rattle loose.

Thanks to @rde09 and @xplorguy for the link and the typed out service codes posts!

On the plus side, does filing down the hex nut to make it fit in the battery terminal allow me to truthfully say that I custom fabricated a component for my bike? ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts