Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if there is already another thread on this topic. I am finding that the speedometer on my Ninja 400 is about 2 miles/hr over what the GPS shows. For example, if the GPS shows 50 miles/hr, the speedometer is showing 52 miles/hr.

I know my GPS is accurate because it matches exactly with the speedometer on my mini van.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Not sure if there is already another thread on this topic. I am finding that the speedometer on my Ninja 400 is about 2 miles/hr over what the GPS shows. For example, if the GPS shows 50 miles/hr, the speedometer is showing 52 miles/hr.

I know my GPS is accurate because it matches exactly with the speedometer on my mini van.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?
The GPs will always be accurate, it would be the mini van that would be out if anything, but clearly it isnt.

Yep, this is normal error. Mine reads 5% high at 100kph. So I'm really only dong 95kph on the GPS.
Errors tend to be exponential so you will find that at 70MPH you maybe 4 MPH out or such like.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most vehicle manufacturers do this on purpose.
If you get pulled over for speeding and the police find that your vehicles speedometer is under-reading (so you think you're under the limit but you're actually speeding) then the manufacturer will get a hefty fine.
So for this reason they make the speedometer over-read slightly so there's no risk of them getting fined.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Weve got tons of road construction where I live at the moment so there are stationary speed notice cameras all over. I find that the speedo reads about 4 mph US, over the actual speed. IE 69 actually = 65. ON mine that is at least!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Speedometer question

Greetings all,

Not sure if this has been discussed already but Im curious to see if anyone has ever tested the Speedometer for MPH? Riding the bike, (maybe its just me), but I suspect the speedometer is off a bit. It feels like I am not going as fast as the display is indicating and also compared to traffic around me. If it is off, anyone know about how much?

·
Registered
105 Posts
ATTENTION!

The Healtech Electronic (SPEEDOHEALER) DOES NOT WORK.....................Look in the Electronics Section of this Forum and I posted a really Serious Post about this PRODUCT not working for the New Ninja 400s. My Bike was in the Shop for a month and they tried 4 Brand New and Different Modules that should have worked. But they DID NOT.. PLEASE.... DO NOT WASTE your time in getting one. IT WILL FAIL!!!. DON'T DO IT!

If I can save any Ninja 400 owner a lot of time and hassle and money. Then Please take this as a WARNING!!!!

Ninja 400 Stealth

I've used this on other bikes such as my Superhawk 996. https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/sh/
If you change-out the front sprocket it's a must.

·
Registered
124 Posts
IT WORKS! Posting below. Easy to install.

ATTENTION!

The Healtech Electronic (SPEEDOHEALER) DOES NOT WORK.....................Look in the Electronics Section of this Forum and I posted a really Serious Post about this PRODUCT not working for the New Ninja 400s. My Bike was in the Shop for a month and they tried 4 Brand New and Different Modules that should have worked. But they DID NOT.. PLEASE.... DO NOT WASTE your time in getting one. IT WILL FAIL!!!. DON'T DO IT!

If I can save any Ninja 400 owner a lot of time and hassle and money. Then Please take this as a WARNING!!!!

Ninja 400 Stealth

·
Registered
124 Posts
So I set aside time to install the Healtech Speedohealer with compatible cable accessory. Yeah, the guy above had an issue apparently. I will say, if you are not careful, it is easy to mess up if you cant follow a wiring diagram.

I set aside at least half a day, as the full install requires removing the upper fairing, headlight, which means the side fairings, and lower cowlings. So grab a beer and turn on some music!

The install require you to splice into the positive, negative, and speed sensor wire behind the instrument cluster. They give you the crimp splice bits necessary, making it all super easy.

Once all the wires are exposed, its as easy as cutting the sensor wire, about four inches back from the instrument cluster coupling, and crimping onto the positive and negative power lines in the same cluster.

Adjusted to -5%, and now i am exact!

Like anything faired, the most time is taking all the body work off, and back on. Although this is always a good moment to make sure everything is as expected, and getting to know your moto.

Really, not sure what happened with the other guy. I can only surmise end user error. Usually is. I have been there many times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts