Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Has ANYONE? Tried a Speedohealer device on your N400? If so, Can you PLEASE share with me on how the Install went on this.
Why would u need one? the abs unit on the rear wheel is also where the speedo gets its information so changing sprockets ect wont affect it at all, if its not accurate it wont be by much maybe 1-2mph at most. Either way I know the ECU flash tune kit allows for adjusting the speedo so if I was you i would go down that road, I am receiving mine real soon Ill do a video on it,

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Why would u need one? the abs unit on the rear wheel is also where the speedo gets its information so changing sprockets ect wont affect it at all, if its not accurate it wont be by much maybe 1-2mph at most. Either way I know the ECU flash tune kit allows for adjusting the speedo so if I was you i would go down that road, I am receiving mine real soon Ill do a video on it,
Mines out 3 mph at 60mph. Checked with GPS. Not enough for me to be bothered about. My last bike was out by twice that amount at same speed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
New to this forum and Ninja 400's...13 tooth change question

Hello, bought my 400 a few weeks ago and changed to a 13 tooth front from STG last night. Clearly more than a simple sin wave from the rear sensor and rotor target is being calculated. My speed remained the same and about 1 mile down the road I got the engine light and dashed out gear position flashing. We have a few radar street signs and I am about 5 mph slower than the bike indicates. Never tried a speed healer before.
So just a speed healer of some brand and it's good to go? Any common recommendations, maybe at Cycle Gear or online?

Thanx

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Hello, bought my 400 a few weeks ago and changed to a 13 tooth front from STG last night. Clearly more than a simple sin wave from the rear sensor and rotor target is being calculated. My speed remained the same and about 1 mile down the road I got the engine light and dashed out gear position flashing. We have a few radar street signs and I am about 5 mph slower than the bike indicates. Never tried a speed healer before.
So just a speed healer of some brand and it's good to go? Any common recommendations, maybe at Cycle Gear or online?

Thanx
Welcome to the forum. I've moved your post to here so you guys may get some responses to your query.

I'm guessing your saw this thread about gearing changes upsetting the gear position sensor and subsequently triggering a check light on the dash: https://www.ninja400riders.com/foru...sion/1359-engine-warning-light.html#post23341

·
Registered
764 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I've moved your post to here so you guys may get some responses to your query.

I'm guessing your saw this thread about gearing changes upsetting the gear position sensor and subsequently triggering a check light on the dash: https://www.ninja400riders.com/foru...sion/1359-engine-warning-light.html#post23341
I have not gotten this error ? I have changed the front and rear sprocket for more accel and have gotten no warnings or errors, even changed the tire and chain as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So does a speed healer restore the dash back to normal operation, allow the the CEL to clear? It would still be worth it to correct the speed and mileage, but I would like that CEL for this out so another problem isn't hidden and have the gear indication back.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
So does a speed healer restore the dash back to normal operation, allow the the CEL to clear? It would still be worth it to correct the speed and mileage, but I would like that CEL for this out so another problem isn't hidden and have the gear indication back.
Hard to know but my gut feeling on it would be no, it would only correct the speedo error. Your dash may return to normal function in time as mine did and also another member.

·
Registered
764 Posts
ECU flash kit is what you need, in the program you set your sprocket sizes and can even adjust the speedo if you really want to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Any links to a ECU FLASH KIT source, is there any market variety or Ninja 400 specific device? Can you use a smart pad or is it laptop software and connection, I know some snart devices don't do some websites or programming functions well.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Any links to a ECU FLASH KIT source, is there any market variety or Ninja 400 specific device? Can you use a smart pad or is it laptop software and connection, I know some snart devices don't do some websites or programming functions well.
I will be receiving mine today and I will make a post all about it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Spoke to my Kawasaki dealer who called Kawasaki about a re-flash of the ECU and they don't have a patch for this themselves. Not sure if one is on the way yet either. So the healer will correct the speed and odometer, but the engine light and flashing dashed out gear position will remain on. He did mention mailing the ECU to an aftermarket company, I think called 12 o'clock, to get a custom flash done. About $500 is what he has been charged.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Speedohealer does not work on bike!

Just a HEADS UP! on the Speedohealer. I put my Bike in the Shop around 3 weeks ago. And they literally tried 4 Speedohealer Modules and they DID NOT WORK!!!!!....... This was wired up just like the E-mail Install Instructions for the schematic says. The first failed, then they called and they sent a second. It failed and then they tried one off of a Customers Bike which was the same model module but off of a different bike. That one failed also. Then a brand new 4th module came after waiting for days to get that one. And IT FAILED too. They did all kinds of calls to the Distributer and E-mailed the Speedohealer R&D Department and so forth. The Model number is SH-UO1 which is a Universal type of harness. You literally have to tear down the front end off the bike and remove the Speedometer Instrument Cluster and splice into the wiring behind the Speedometer Cluster according to their Instructions. The wiring was checked and DOUBLE checked with Volt Meters and all of the Diagnostic Tools that they had. They had two of the Best Factory Trained Kawasaki Mechanics that they at their Shop to try to install these 4 modules that FAILED!

The Service Manager told me that the Signal wire goes directly from the rear wheel sensor directly to the ECU and then another wire goes from the ECU to the Speedometer Instrument Cluster. They had the Kawasaki Service manual and all of the Data on this Bike. Apparently the Speedohealer is NOT reading the signal from the wire that they showed in the Speedohealer hook up Schematic. which is the wire on #12 wire on the Speedometer Cluster according to their Instructions from Speed healer...... I have had Speedohealers on my past bikes like the ZZR 600 and ZX 6Rs and even a GSXR 750 and those worked great on those bikes.

So now I just told them at the Shop to put in all back together and get my bike back. All efforts made have FAILED 4 times over. With the Bike in the Shop over 3 weeks in the process!!! ......... I even checked Flash Tune or a company out of California and it can do everything but change the Speedometer readings according to their specs or software that comes with their Flashing Kit Module for the Ninja 400 from what I can see on the Data that they had on the Flash Tune Web Site.....

BOTTOM LINE>>>>> The Speedohealer (Model SH-UO1) DOES NOT WORK with the 2018 Ninja 400. DON'T EVEN!!!... try to Buy One or Try One at this Time... This Model will not read the signal that comes from the ECU as Advertised. The Distributer that sold me this module says that it did work with the European Models in their R&D department. I ask him if he had a Ninja 400 at his shop with the Speedohealer Installed and he said NO!. So that being said. This post is a "WARNING" not to even try to Buy or Install one. And to save any Ninja 400 owner a LOT OF TIME and MONEY and HASSLE!!!.... Speedohealer is the Best Correction Device out there. BUT..........IT DOES NOT WORK ON THE 2018 NINJA 400!!!.

If anyone out there has a BETTER OPTION then PLEASE POST IT ASAP!

Thanks!:sad::crying:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Another Heads Up about the Speedohealer. I talked to my Service Manager and the Distributor and they said that it is possible that you may have to get a second module to add to the Speedohealer for the Ninja 400... But it will have to be TESTED and proven to work with this Bike. I will have to say again that Speedohealer is the BEST OPTION for correction for accurate Speed Readings. I have owned several in the past and they really did PERFECT... I do know that some of us have changed out Sprockets and at some point. We will have to have a device that will work. Incorrect Speed Readings could add more miles on the Odometer if the actual Speed is not corrected. Lower miles on a Motorcycle mean better if you sell it later on.

So we may have to Hold Out a while to see if Speedohealer can refine this Module to work for the Ninja 400. Some things take TIME to perfect. Just hope that they can make it happen soon for the 2018 Ninja 400!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well, have a new speedohealer just waiting to get installed. Will update when done. The version requires splicing into the wires behind the instrument cluster. basically, taps into a positive and ground, as well as splicing inline with the sensor wire. Because the sensor is a single cable from the sensor to the back of the instrument cluster, the standard plug and play option does not exist.

Considering the speedo is off 5%, its worth it. I dont like doing mental conversions when I ride. I want to know exactly how fast i am going at a glance when I see the officer. And after 60k miles, that is one less oil change.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Posted in another forum, link below.

Basically, yes, it works great, as advertised. What I noticed in the process, directly related to Stealth’s comments:

Yes, the signal wire comes from the rear wheel sensor, which is also the abs sensor. It has a coupling just above the clutch, bit I assume since its a two for one, the wires split from there? Anyway, you have to make sure you read the included instructions to get the proper wires off the back of the instrument cluster harness. I confirmed these with the wiring diagram in the service manusl (thanks for whoever posted the link to the download of that pdf!).

The diagram they supply mentions it is the “pin” diagram associated with the pins on the back of the instrument cluster. You have to extrapolate back to the wires coming out of the harness/coupler. Then its easy. Pin 10, the brown with white stripe is the positive, pin 9 the black with yellow stripe is the ground, and light blue is the speed sensor.

Once installed, run the test program, pushing both buttons, making sure its all as expected, and button her back up!

So yeah, no idea what Stealth and his shop monkeys were up to, but my installation wen flawlessly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts