Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
That was a consideration when I recommended the two NGKs, as well as resistance, albeit not mentioned in the post. Most of the plugs I found that would physically fit were in an acceptable range, so it was easy to overlook mentioning it at the time. The stock plug's rating is 9, the 53599 is also 9, the 91909 is 8 in the event you needed one step colder. It's definitely worth mentioning though, since it might not be known/on the minds of everyone who is looking for a different plug.

So that 95399 should be the right specs.

You run this plug for any miles yet?
They look the same size, or well close the 95399 looks about 5 mm longer on the electrode and contact arm and I would not think the clearances are that tight on the 400 on top of that piston at TDC

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry for not understanding, but I couldn't get what you are saying. Is the stock LMAR9G not good enough? If so, what do you reccommend.

Also, there is somehting I want to get right about the SP's, is there different versions of LMAR9G?
For example - https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=58446 What does the 92222 stand for? How much should a plug cost? I see sites that are pricing it as low as 6USD and some sites up to 17GBP. Am I missing something?

Thanks

The 92222 is the NGK part number for the LMAR9G plug. It doesn't have any meaning outside of that. LMAR9G can be decoded, the most relevant part being the 9, which refers to temperature of the plug. https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/article/174/ngk-numbering-systems has some nice charts should you decide you want to learn more about their codes. If you want to find more plugs based on specs, you can reverse engineer them at https://www.ngk.com/Search.aspx?ptn=Spark+Plug As far as price goes, IR plugs will cost more than standard plugs, but it will be highly dependent on the vendor. I would like to say mine IRs were 13USD from a local autoparts store, but it's been a while. There is tons of reading you can do about the benefits of different plug materials, and you should be able to make a good choice based on how you intend to use them.

So that 95399 should be the right specs.

You run this plug for any miles yet?
They look the same size, or well close the 95399 looks about 5 mm longer on the electrode and contact arm and I would not think the clearances are that tight on the 400 on top of that piston at TDC

I have about 2000 miles on them, no issues. I also can't say there is any gain from them except feeling I have a material and construction I prefer given my circumstances. As for clearance, the 95399 is non-projected, which I felt a little safer with, despite me personally preferring projected. I really have no idea what kind of clearance we're working with, but I would think there would have to be some tolerance because of things like gaskets not crushing exactly the same between plugs, minor variances in the head, block, gasket, and various other things.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've no idea on the clearances in the N400's engine, but as mechanical things go, the higher the engine's compression ratio and potential power output, the less clearances around those moving parts at the heads, like valves and pistons. The Ninja 400 has a pretty respectable 11.5 Comp.Ratio, The Ninja 650 has 10.8 Comp.Ratio, and the ZX6R sits at 12.9 Comp. Ratio. Just a few examples to show the relationships between compression ratios/tighter clearances, and potential power outputs. The N650 and the ZX6R are especially revealing. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I've no idea on the clearances in the N400's engine, but as mechanical things go, the higher the engine's compression ratio and potential power output, the less clearances around those moving parts at the heads, like valves and pistons. The Ninja 400 has a pretty respectable 11.5 Comp.Ratio, The Ninja 650 has 10.8 Comp.Ratio, and the ZX6R sits at 12.9 Comp. Ratio. Just a few examples to show the relationships between compression ratios/tighter clearances, and potential power outputs. The N650 and the ZX6R are especially revealing. :nerd:

Right, if anyone remembers when the SRAD GSX-R 750 came out people claimed they were punching valves into piston tops due to the extremely tight clearances on the combustion chamber, I remember the first years models Suzuki's recall/service bulletin fix was to install a slightly thicker head gasket.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The 92222 is the NGK part number for the LMAR9G plug. It doesn't have any meaning outside of that. LMAR9G can be decoded, the most relevant part being the 9, which refers to temperature of the plug. https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/article/174/ngk-numbering-systems has some nice charts should you decide you want to learn more about their codes. If you want to find more plugs based on specs, you can reverse engineer them at https://www.ngk.com/Search.aspx?ptn=Spark+Plug As far as price goes, IR plugs will cost more than standard plugs, but it will be highly dependent on the vendor. I would like to say mine IRs were 13USD from a local autoparts store, but it's been a while. There is tons of reading you can do about the benefits of different plug materials, and you should be able to make a good choice based on how you intend to use them.

I have about 2000 miles on them, no issues. I also can't say there is any gain from them except feeling I have a material and construction I prefer given my circumstances. As for clearance, the 95399 is non-projected, which I felt a little safer with, despite me personally preferring projected. I really have no idea what kind of clearance we're working with, but I would think there would have to be some tolerance because of things like gaskets not crushing exactly the same between plugs, minor variances in the head, block, gasket, and various other things.
Right, if anyone remembers when the SRAD GSX-R 750 came out people claimed they were punching valves into piston tops due to the extremely tight clearances on the combustion chamber, I remember the first years models Suzuki's recall/service bulletin fix was to install a slightly thicker head gasket.

I read everything you guys wrote and I still having a hard time what to take from this. Are you saying the stock LMAR9G is not fitted for the bike's engine? Please be clear and give your advice what on what plugs you reccommend if so. Dont speak in codes :tongue:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Sorry, I'm not trying to be cryptic. And I'm not addressing the particular spark plug you're asking about. It sounds like you've already researched and verified its compatibility with the OEM plug.. My point was to remind folks, that if the plug is LONGER than the engine's OEM plug, it could interfere with the moving parts inside the engine. With the high compression ratios some of these modern engines have, the close tolerances are not forgiving. Too long a plug, COULD allow the face of the piston to slap the tip of the spark plug on it's compression/top stroke. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I read everything you guys wrote and I still having a hard time what to take from this. Are you saying the stock LMAR9G is not fitted for the bike's engine? Please be clear and give your advice what on what plugs you reccommend if so. Dont speak in codes :tongue:

Bro........LMAR9G NGK spark plug is the stock plug, the one Kawasaki ships in the bike.

It also shows up in the Kawasaki parts fiche as a replacement part.

Of course its fitted for the bikes engine. :grin:
Lol, I know you, and how you like to be 155% sure of something before you do anything or buy anything.

This was a post to identify instead of using the OEM required plug, what other plugs can we use in this bike in the same heat range? or hotter? or colder? or iridium?

The stock plug is just your standard electrode plug, nothing special. They were looking for iridium laser plugs instead of the standard run of the mill plain jane plug.
The only real advantage with iridium laser plugs is dependable longevity. They are recommended to be changed every 100,000 miles in most vehicles were plugs in motorcycles, standard plug, is recommended to be changed every 10,000 miles.

And yes, you will find cheap Chinese counterfeit NGK iridium laser plugs and it is becoming very hard to tell the difference so normally I just order from a known parts store (Autozone, Advanced, O'Reily's, NGk directly) for piece of mind.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Honestly, the stock plug is probably fine for someone who keeps their bike mostly stock, does their routine maintenance, and enjoys their bike for what it is. If you start pushing things more, and trying to eek out every fraction of advantage, finding a better plug becomes more necessary. This bike, for me, is a frivolous play thing to experiment with, and I love tinkering. It's the first one I've ever owned, so everything about it has a sense of newness, despite having done pretty much all of this stuff with cars. I might take it on a longer trip someday, and will have a little better feeling knowing the plugs shouldn't be an issue, that is if I even think of that at all. I saw this thread and figured it would be fun to research and find an iridium plug since the discussion seemed to have come to a halt with no real results. If it worked, cool, if it didn't, I was only out 20 some bucks, and no real time since I already had it torn down to install some wiring.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Bro........LMAR9G NGK spark plug is the stock plug, the one Kawasaki ships in the bike.

It also shows up in the Kawasaki parts fiche as a replacement part.

Of course its fitted for the bikes engine. :grin:
Lol, I know you, and how you like to be 155% sure of something before you do anything or buy anything.

This was a post to identify instead of using the OEM required plug, what other plugs can we use in this bike in the same heat range? or hotter? or colder? or iridium?

The stock plug is just your standard electrode plug, nothing special. They were looking for iridium laser plugs instead of the standard run of the mill plain jane plug.
The only real advantage with iridium laser plugs is dependable longevity. They are recommended to be changed every 100,000 miles in most vehicles were plugs in motorcycles, standard plug, is recommended to be changed every 10,000 miles.

And yes, you will find cheap Chinese counterfeit NGK iridium laser plugs and it is becoming very hard to tell the difference so normally I just order from a known parts store (Autozone, Advanced, O'Reily's, NGk directly) for piece of mind.

Yeah I understand now. I already knew that the LMAR9G plug is the one that comes with the bike, I just read all these comments people putting doubt into the stock and talking about heat ranges, so I wanted clarfication on it, I was a bit confused, as English not my main language. That is all. rktubro also explained to me on private message. I love this community & forum, you guys are awesome.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yeah I understand now. I already knew that the LMAR9G plug is the one that comes with the bike, I just read all these comments people putting doubt into the stock and talking about heat ranges, so I wanted clarfication on it, I was a bit confused, as English not my main language. That is all. rktubro also explained to me on private message. I love this community & forum, you guys are awesome.

I know man... I had to rattle your cage some for fun :grin:

·
Registered
498 Posts
About to order SP's, doing price comparison and I am finding 2 sites that sell 'LMAR9G' significantly less than the cheapest i've found.

It says LMAR9G, however for the product code it says 97476 and not 92222.

It also mentions the hex spanner size you need is 16mm and not 14mm like it says on NGK's page.
On NGK's website the 97476 doesn't show up.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I hate to see how those sale for 7$ a piece and I am struggling to find a place to order it online for double that with shipping, if someone is willing to buy them for me and i'll pay for the postage and a little extra... will save me money and effort.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The hex size (spanner) is the only difference i see. Haven't touched my spark plugs yet, not sure if it will fit the coils. I'm sure someone here knows. Go with the 92222 to be 100% sure.

I can get the 92222 from Canada for $15.83 CAD each. I'd have to find shipping cost to Israel.

Reactions: Muchacho22

·
Registered
498 Posts
The hex size (spanner) is the only difference i see. Haven't touched my spark plugs yet, not sure if it will fit the coils. I'm sure someone here knows. Go with the 92222 to be 100% sure.

I can get the 92222 from Canada for $15.83 CAD each. I'd have to find shipping cost to Israel.
Pff, the cheapest you'll find here locally equivalent to about 27USD a piece. Considering no one keeps stock here you'll have to order it especially, wait for it couple weeks at minimum, go there, pick it up.... The cheapest i've found online with shipping comes out a bit less than 55USD. Effin ridiculous. Alot of sites that do sale them at a normal price either dont ship internationally and if they do they charge 40/50/60 USD for shipping.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Pff, the cheapest you'll find here locally equivalent to about 27USD a piece. Considering no one keeps stock here you'll have to order it especially, wait for it couple weeks at minimum, go there, pick it up.... The cheapest i've found online with shipping comes out a bit less than 55USD. Effin ridiculous. Alot of sites that do sale them at a normal price either dont ship internationally and if they do they charge 40/50/60 USD for shipping.
FedEex is adding a small surcharge for shipping because plague. PM me your city address so I can get a shipping quote if you're interested.

·
Registered
498 Posts
So I eventually ordred from a UK dealer named wemoto. Got them today and it says on the box LMAR9G 97476. Can anyone confirm this works. When I emailed NGK all they told me is '92222 is the correct stock number for LMAR9G.' So much for an offical answer....

·
Registered
744 Posts
So I eventually ordred from a UK dealer named wemoto. Got them today and it says on the box LMAR9G 97476. Can anyone confirm this works. When I emailed NGK all they told me is '92222 is the correct stock number for LMAR9G.' So much for an offical answer....

Here's the 92222 specs. I think the only difference is the hex spanner size, where the 97467 is 16 mm.

IMG_20200512_151416.jpg
IMG_20200512_151649.jpg

note: base diameter is 16 mm.

Reactions: Grantman

·
Registered
498 Posts
Here's the 92222 specs. I think the only difference is the hex spanner size, where the 97467 is 16 mm.

View attachment 12798 View attachment 12799

note: base diameter is 16 mm.

I've measured mine and it's ticking all the same boxes, including the hex spanenr size which is 14mm and not 16 as written online.
However when trying to measure the gap with the special tool, 0.3 inch barley fit in, as it supposed to come with 0.31 inch gap.

I've emailed NGK again and for some reason they dont give me a straight answer. All they say is that the 92222 is the right application for the 400.
I wonder if it goes only for labeling, or it has to do something with North American / European version restrictions.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I ordered and installed 2 of these back in December....from Spark Plugs.com or ngk.com

NGK 95399 SILMAR9B9 Laser Iridium Plug - Item# NGK95399

I have ran those for about 1,000 miles or more now
I just installed a set of those yesterday. The ones I received directly from NGK were the exact same size. The electrode itself on the 95399 sticks out just under 2/32" farther or 1.5MM compared to the LMAR9G electrode.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts