Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been reading the forum and it's great, but I couldn't found something for a doubt that I have.
I want to buy a version of Iridium Spark plug of NGK for the stock Spark plug for the Ninja 400, but I can't find some website that verify the compatability.
For the manual, the stock ones are LMAR9G model... I found some LMAR9AI-8 in some websites, but the don't show fitment with the model.

Have you buy aftermarket spark plugs for the bike?.

Greetings!.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bought the LMAR9AI-8 as my new dealer said it would be a straight swap... yea turns out the head on that plug is different to the LMAR9G huge waste of time on my part pulling everything apart...

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I bought the LMAR9AI-8 as my new dealer said it would be a straight swap... yea turns out the head on that plug is different to the LMAR9G huge waste of time on my part pulling everything apart...
Can you elaborate on this?

You may or may not already know this. But some spark plugs come with a round head terminal nut that is screwed onto the threaded end and needs to be removed before install so the coil snaps onto it...

F4F5E4C6-ACC3-4758-AF07-A9AFE3E3F6B3.jpg

·
Registered
166 Posts
You may or may not already know this. But some spark plugs come with a round head terminal nut that is screwed onto the threaded end and needs to be removed before install so the coil snaps onto it...
Agreed, the parts diagram shows the plug without the end cap screwed on. The LMAR9AI-8 plug should have an end cap that can be unscrewed??

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts

View attachment 5003
I just went and double check the new plugs the head on there is fixed on good tried using pliers to put more force on it. Their a moulded unit you cant get the head of them

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
It may appear to be moulded on but they do come off. I’ve done it many times with NGK plugs...

Clamp down on it with some vise grips if you have to...

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Looks like I made a mistake the part number is for the solid end cant seem to find one for the threaded
Darn, I was hoping you’d get it off. Good luck in your search. Post up here if you get the right part number. I’ve got a long way to go but when I do change them I’ll be going to Iridiums myself. Hopefully this info will help others when they are looking to change plugs...

In the past I remember the part # was usually the same but had an Ix at the end...

·
Registered
81 Posts
just wondering if anyone has found iridium plugs or other compatible?

thanks
Based on the specs (thread size, reach, seat, etc.):

NGK 95399 (SILMAR9B9) - https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=41486

NGK 91909 (LMAR8BI-9) - https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=57039

I’m going to be ordering the 95399 in the near future. While I can’t 100% say they are the correct choice, all the specs line up to the stock NGK 92222 (LMAR9G).

Edit: I can confirm the 95399 fit, and I have them installed. I haven’t been able to start the bike yet because it’s still in a few pieces from the rest of the work I’m doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
Based on the specs (thread size, reach, seat, etc.):

NGK 95399 (SILMAR9B9) - https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=41486

NGK 91909 (LMAR8BI-9) - https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=57039

I’m going to be ordering the 95399 in the near future. While I can’t 100% say they are the correct choice, all the specs line up to the stock NGK 92222 (LMAR9G).

Edit: I can confirm the 95399 fit, and I have them installed. I haven’t been able to start the bike yet because it’s still in a few pieces from the rest of the work I’m doing.

At how many miles you replaced yours?

Also, Is there any chance you'll do a video on how to reach the spark plugs. I mean I know you need to lift the gas tank and airbox, I am talking about an actual guide video to do so...

·
Registered
81 Posts
At how many miles you replaced yours?

Also, Is there any chance you'll do a video on how to reach the spark plugs. I mean I know you need to lift the gas tank and airbox, I am talking about an actual guide video to do so...
I'm at something over 1000 miles. I'm changing them because I want better plugs since I tend to run a little rich. I can probably put together some sort of guide when I reassemble everything. It's not quite stock, but the idea should be the same.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm at something over 1000 miles. I'm changing them because I want better plugs since I tend to run a little rich. I can probably put together some sort of guide when I reassemble everything. It's not quite stock, but the idea should be the same.

A little over 1000 miles and your spark plugs looks like this.. I am no expert but... :plain:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey guys,

Can anyone please confirm that the spark plug size is indeed 14mm? Also, how many points does it has to have? As in, how does the head socket have to look, is at a hex? I am not very familair with the process.

Thank you

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'll preface this rant by saying I may be overlooking something, or everyone is already familiar with my concern, so there's no reason to mention it... This whole discussion has me a little baffled. Just because a plug has the correct size threads and correct end to plug in the spark plug boot, DOES NOT make it a compatible spark plug for the Ninja 400's engine. This isn't some lawn mower you screw in any plug you have laying around that fits and tightens. Other than obvious fit, the OEMs plug's heat range really needs to be considered. No matter if it is an iridium tipped, a 2 pronged tip, or whatever is new this year, the heat range must be considered to make it an OEM compatible sparkplug. Lacking the desired heat range will deliver a plug too cool that constantly fouls, or a plug too hot that has the potential of damaging the injectors and or other engine components.:nerd:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll preface this rant by saying I may be overlooking something, or everyone is already familiar with my concern, so there's no reason to mention it... This whole discussion has me a little baffled. Just because a plug has the correct size threads and correct end to plug in the spark plug boot, DOES NOT make it a compatible spark plug for the Ninja 400's engine. This isn't some lawn mower you screw in any plug you have laying around that fits and tightens. Other than obvious fit, the OEMs plug's heat range really needs to be considered. No matter if it is an iridium tipped, a 2 pronged tip, or whatever is new this year, the heat range must be considered to make it an OEM compatible sparkplug. Lacking the desired heat range will deliver a plug too cool that constantly fouls, or a plug too hot that has the potential of damaging the injectors and or other engine components.
That was a consideration when I recommended the two NGKs, as well as resistance, albeit not mentioned in the post. Most of the plugs I found that would physically fit were in an acceptable range, so it was easy to overlook mentioning it at the time. The stock plug's rating is 9, the 53599 is also 9, the 91909 is 8 in the event you needed one step hotter. It's definitely worth mentioning though, since it might not be known/on the minds of everyone who is looking for a different plug.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'll preface this rant by saying I may be overlooking something, or everyone is already familiar with my concern, so there's no reason to mention it... This whole discussion has me a little baffled. Just because a plug has the correct size threads and correct end to plug in the spark plug boot, DOES NOT make it a compatible spark plug for the Ninja 400's engine. This isn't some lawn mower you screw in any plug you have laying around that fits and tightens. Other than obvious fit, the OEMs plug's heat range really needs to be considered. No matter if it is an iridium tipped, a 2 pronged tip, or whatever is new this year, the heat range must be considered to make it an OEM compatible sparkplug. Lacking the desired heat range will deliver a plug too cool that constantly fouls, or a plug too hot that has the potential of damaging the injectors and or other engine components.:nerd:

Sorry for not understanding, but I couldn't get what you are saying. Is the stock LMAR9G not good enough? If so, what do you reccommend.

Also, there is somehting I want to get right about the SP's, is there different versions of LMAR9G?
For example - https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=58446 What does the 92222 stand for? How much should a plug cost? I see sites that are pricing it as low as 6USD and some sites up to 17GBP. Am I missing something?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 48 Posts