Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any hardy Southern souls still commuting their bikes or riding regularly still?
Mines pretty much parked up now, 3 degrees C here today at noon. brrr.

Would be interested to hear how riders have found the bikes rideability in winter conditions: Starting and battery power, cold conditions engine running ie. fueling, fairing protection from the elements, tyre grip on cold roads etc.

I'm guessing most people dont live as far south in the latitudes as myself. Lucky!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah mate, that's why I moved to the North Island about 19 years ago. After 30+ years as a one eyed Cantabrian, those sou'westers that go through you rather than round you, finally did my head in. :wink:

We're getting 8-11 degrees C recently, and I have still been riding a fair bit. No problems with the LiPo battery or anything else so far. We will certainly head towards the temps you are getting in the next few weeks I suspect..

·
Registered
764 Posts
A few 5-7 degree mornings here and im having no problems so far, battery has been doing good and holding a good charge. windscreen does fog up instantly though haha I like the placement of the dash though compared to a few other bikes where it doesnt really get wet when it rains or fogs to much. the 300's dash would be covered in water instantly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Harden up that man. I think it was 0 (celcius) when I parked up at Petone last Friday morning. Certainly the coldest so far in the capital. If you don't like riding in the wind, rain and cold you won't be riding in Wellington haha.

Today is supposed to get to 8, and we've got a blustery southerly as well. Thank goodness for modern textile motorcycle gear.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Northern Hemisphere here, but high altitude (1.4 km) and dry, so come October or so I will begin having my morning commutes (and sometimes afternoon too in January!) in sub-freezing temperatures and be able to report on it. I think since living here (nine years) the coldest morning commute was at about -22 to -23 degrees C, which on the air-cooled, carburetted XJ600 I was riding meant really convincing it to start. I'd actually replaced its running lights and tail light with LEDs because I was draining the battery trying to start it in the winter mornings; the low-current LEDs solved that. I expect the liquid-cooled (anti-freeze!) fuel-injected EX400 to complain comparatively little.

Thankfully it doesn't get that cold every year! This past winter the coldest morning commute was at only about -13 degrees C. Much more pleasant... well, maybe "pleasant" isn't the word. The real problem with those temperatures is that I can't breathe if I go above a certain speed, so I take the back roads. It's weird because you'd think with a full-face helmet it wouldn't matter. Maybe it's how the air swirls around. I do have a new helmet this year so maybe next winter's experience will be different.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Harden up that man. I think it was 0 (celcius) when I parked up at Petone last Friday morning. Certainly the coldest so far in the capital. If you don't like riding in the wind, rain and cold you won't be riding in Wellington haha.

Today is supposed to get to 8, and we've got a blustery southerly as well. Thank goodness for modern textile motorcycle gear.
Ha ha, I'm a fair weather rider these days for sure. I do ride to work on two wheels in temps similar to your self but its on a bicycle and it takes all of 3-4 minutes. The joy of living in a small town.
I used to do the Brass Monkey Rally and such like when i was younger and more up for it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Have been riding regularly in this cold weather. Bike goes well, no issues. Starts well.. Takes a bit to warm up.
Had to ride in torrential rain for my RideForever course.. 8 hours in it and allgood. Tyre grip was great, headed out to Piha and got some great riding in despite the weather.

Got a clean the day after however! Was absolutely filthy.

Riding only on the weekends has meant primarily cold weather only with no rain, but damp roads. No issues

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm across the pond and south of Sydney, the grass is ice crunchy in my front yard when i leave and it sits at about 3 deg in the morning on my daily commute to work and all is swell!
(though i think i do need some heated hand grips). Battery is going strong too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
In complete contrast it's an absolutely stunning day in Wellington today. No wind or rain, and bright sunshine. Certainly looking forward to the commute home.
Same here in Auckland.. Taking Friday as a riding day with the weather due to be the same :smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts