• Idk

• I just want to see the results

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Rumors say that kawasaki is building a zx-4r. What are your thoughts on that? Would you sell your ninja 400/z400?

I mean, if the rumors are true. This thing is gonna have a sh*tton of power for that 400cc inline 4. Happy to hear your opinions.

Greetings from Switzerland

Camp

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not going to happen. The 400 twin is basically dominating the light weight racing classes across the world. Also they used to makes those, every one of the big 4 did. There was a ZX400, GSXR 400, FZR 400, and Honda had a CBR 400 and an RC30 type version as well in a 400.

The market isn't there for top of the line 400 sport bikes, actually the 600's are dying off. They would sell them to hardcore enthusiasts but not the wider buying public. Plus to come with aluminum framed inline 400 sport bikes in a new design is cost prohibitive in this current ecnomy, in my opinion.

All that being said I would buy one in a heart beat. Used to have an FZR400 for the street and loved that little screamer. Shoot I'd like to see them resurrect those bikes with some appropriate updates, doesn't even have to be an all new design.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I tried to put an order in for a ZX400 and was told they would not be available in the US, but will be sold in Europe. I guess we shall see.

·
Director of Moderation
2,311 Posts
Not going to happen. The 400 twin is basically dominating the light weight racing classes across the world. Also they used to makes those, every one of the big 4 did. There was a ZX400, GSXR 400, FZR 400, and Honda had a CBR 400 and an RC30 type version as well in a 400.

The market isn't there for top of the line 400 sport bikes, actually the 600's are dying off. They would sell them to hardcore enthusiasts but not the wider buying public. Plus to come with aluminum framed inline 400 sport bikes in a new design is cost prohibitive in this current ecnomy, in my opinion.

All that being said I would buy one in a heart beat. Used to have an FZR400 for the street and loved that little screamer. Shoot I'd like to see them resurrect those bikes with some appropriate updates, doesn't even have to be an all new design.
Have you seen the crazy money people are asking for their used clapped out bikes nowadays?? This is precisely the right time and market for an overpriced 400 cc bike!! lol

My thought/speculation is that the zx-25 didn't come to the US because we are not the market for really small displacement bikes (Grom and Z125 being the exceptions), but we will get the big brother ZX-4R. Just like how we didn't get the Yamaha R25, but we got the R3, and a number of other bike models that were made with 2 different displacements where the US got the big one and Europe and Asia got the smaller version as well. The US is the biggest market for more expensive bikes. Not the biggest for number of bikes, but if you want to sell a $10k+ bike, the US has the most potential for that.

Also as far as I know, Kawi dealers haven't got any more info on this than any one of us here, so I personally wouldn't trust one dealer saying that it's not coming here. Time will tell. I'm still hopeful that it does. Although it'll be a hard pill to swallow if it does come here and it's priced at like $8000+ msrp.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
While I'd like to see more options in the market, I can't help but think the ZX-4R would be better on the track than on the street. It would likely have to be wound all the way up most of the time on the street compared to the N400. So I voted no, I'd keep my N400 as a street and highway rider.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'd rather how they offer an updated 650 twin, or 700 :cool:, similar to the Aprilia 660 with a better price point. They can definitely do it as the z900 has plenty of good bits for the price.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Interested to see where it goes, but as I mostly got the 400 as a track/race bike it would depend on the how it fits into the racing world.
Feel like it's just going to be one of those things in specific regions like the updated CBR 250RR.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I can't help but think the ZX-4R would be better on the track than on the street. It would likely have to be wound all the way up most of the time on the street compared to the N400.
^^ This, but then also this... vv
... it would depend on the how it fits into the racing world.
So it's going to be a great track day bike or canyon carver but ultimately a bit tiring to ride on the road esp as a commuter or long distance machine.
But if you do buy it purely as a race bike then what class is there for it these days? We still have formula 3 here in NZ which I used to race in on a GSXR400 but you get smoked by the 650's. Maybe in the States where there's more population you might be able to get a ZX-4R cup going.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I voted yes because the grass is always greener but in realty my Z400 has been super fun in canyons with plenty of torque. The seduction for me is the screaming pitch of an I-4. My last 7 motorcycles were inline 4 cylinder. (Except the Mach III and Magna V4). Rode a '89 Honda CB-1 400cc for years, redline was about 13,000.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Kawa be cray. They brought the H2, zx1400, 636, etc. If anybody's gonna bring something that ludicrous to North America, count on Kawa to do it. For this to happen, sales of the current N/Z 400 must be high. And I think it is. If the market is humongous around these small bikes, then why not.

Kawa gonna bring it big. To compete or destroy the current 400, they must make a 464 cc inline 4 (err, insert proper displacement here), just to rival the current twin's low and mid. Then blast it to 65 HP at top. And that is before a proper dyno tune. I dream of this many nights.

Would I buy it if the displacement remains at 400 cc? Well it depends on what the power curve will be compared to the current 400. And of course the wet weight.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Weight of the current ZX25R is 396 I believe so the ZX4R will be over 400, The ZX6R is 430. As a recent ZX6R convert I can tell you that the ZX series is better in every way over the standard Ninja line except for MPG and weight. Any ZX4R will have better brakes, tires, suspension, gear box/clutch, and obviously HP and the inline 4 sound. Another thing to consider about the ZX is the body layout is much more user friendly. Easy tank removal, side panels, air filter and ECU access are all much more convenient on a race bike than a standard.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Once again, weight will be the greatest limiting factor... for me anyways.

Reactions: SCNinja400
1 - 18 of 18 Posts