Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Clean each side with a fine file.
Get a 17mm 6-pt socket.
Carefully tap it on with a deadblow mallet.
That should get it in good enough shape that you can keep using a 17mm 6-pt socket on it.
No other tool should be used again.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 400 ABS
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I read that i like the pin idea but i dont have access to a dremel. Tried the sockets but it just messed it up

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looks like someone tried to use the trusty ole "any 16th" wrench. Do not do this ever. Worst designed tool on earth. I own 3. Anything. Anything. Anything requiring a torque spec should only ever get a socket on it and if its a 6 point its the best. As QA, anytime I see someone with a crescent wrench I mock them endlessly and cast shame on them.

For that problem....go to harbor freight and buy the cheapest 17mm box end wrench they have and weld that mofo to the axle. Remove and replace the axle and then buy appropriate socket set.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Bicycle part Vehicle Tire Rim Auto part

Spot weld if you arent sure how to lay a bead and only weld where the area is red. Obviously this is a nut but its all I could find actually. You get the jist.

·
Registered
106 Posts
For extra insurance with rounded hex fasteners, grind the 'entry chamfer' flush. There is often about a 1-2mm chamfer on the inside lip of 6-pt sockets to make for easier engagement. But this works against you with rounded hexs. By grinding the entry square, you get maximum engagement. I have an 18mm socket that I did to perfection to remove a certain high torque fuel rail sensor on diesels. This is because I find so many of them rounded before they give up and call me.

Reactions: Tracy

·
Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, reformed squid rider 😂🐙
1,158 Posts
The way I solved this issue was to take my deep well 17mm socket and grind down the end completely flat.

Now you have a precise 17mm socket that grabs that axle bolt with zero slippage at all.
I use it in the front and rear axles and still use it for the car when needed. 😉

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 400 ABS
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just want to point out that it is threads like these who save the mechanically disinclined a lot of pain, so thanks for posting and thanks everyone else for contributing.
yeah im definitely not a genius when it comes to this stuff and dont have any friends that ride to learn from. ended up using our old grinder to flatten the 6 points chamfer like @McRat and @misnblu said so thank you guys very much! Cant wait to try these S22s out.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, reformed squid rider 😂🐙
1,158 Posts
Also didnt torque it to 70 ft lbs just went to 50 figured the pin should hold it in place
I guess I'm a bit anal on torque specs but the manufacturer has a reason to spec the axle to 70.🤷

Yeah the cotter key will hold the nut in place at 50 but I personally would not ride the bike like that.

Ive been building cars for decades and everything goes to spec. Always.
Being a motorcycle I'm even more ocd with proper torque specs.

Yeah Ive wrenches enough over the years to get a good feel of proper torque but on critical parts it's always to spec. Even my lug nuts are torqued to spec. 😉

1 - 20 of 24 Posts