Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am more in tune with the bike than before...whoever said a 400 is no fun, does not know what fun is all about =)

I bought the bike new July 2020, rode 8k until February, pretty much touring around south Florida until I felt I was ready to attack the real apex...

Track Day February Palm Beach International Raceway - video 1
- first time on the track and my goal was to learn the race line, entry and exit points... i think i did okay.. and had good feedback from instructors

Track Day March Palm Beach International Raceway - video 2
- wow the bike is capable, i was passing 600 and 1000's... I was told to get rearset installed to improve my body position capabilities

Track Day April Homestead-Miami Speedway - uploading soon..
- I was impressed with how physical the track was, demanding, elevations, big banks.. the rearset the did job and i scraped my boots for the first time.

So it is time to upgrade:
1 - Brakes are important when its 95F just standing outside and I plan on doing 6 sessions of 20 minustes every every 40 mins..:
- Galfer wave rotors, pads and the braided lines (abs)
- Global Racing Oil Brake Fluids
2 - clip ons, bar raiser, I want a more race oriented position. ?suggestion?
3 - Front, rear Sprocket, and a new chain I have 9k ??
4 - spark plugs??
What else do you all who track/race their bikes can suggest me to improve the bikes safety, ergonomic and performance(soon)?

I do the Engine oil changes with K&N Filter and Global Racing Oil the synthetic oil is blue

Many thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Like your enthusiasm! Thanks for sharing the clips, def faster in the second one. A more race oriented riding position will help for sure. What tyres are you running?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like your enthusiasm! Thanks for sharing the clips, def faster in the second one. A more race oriented riding position will help for sure. What tyres are you running?
Absolutely 💯 #FunFunFun

The stock front have about 9k and the rear about 4k on them good old Dunlop GPR300.
20210425_175549.jpg

·
Registered
2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 2010 Suzuki GSXR600 x2 2018/19 N400
496 Posts
where do you live? I'll be at JGP this monday if you want to gain some knowledge of the track and I can give you lots of tips on necessary upgraes you'll want and need to do 1st ! BTW what group are you riding in?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am riding on novice, with floridatrackdays. Yes, share some knowledge, that would be great to hear...

I am by the fort Lauderdale area... I would like to go, JGP is a nice layout from what I see; however, not at this time.. work 💪🏻on Monday.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i go down there on occasion.... not found of PBIR with no run off in certain corners and all the houligans that ride down south....in any case not sure of your prior bikes or riding capacity,,seat time and tyres are your # 1 investments...trans upgrades clip ons suspension and then the sky is the limit...you can look at my present build list and theres many others on here than you can see where their money has gone to.reach out if and when you ever make it up to JGP...be more than happy to work with you !

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i go down there on occasion.... not found of PBIR with no run off in certain corners and all the houligans that ride down south....in any case not sure of your prior bikes or riding capacity,,seat time and tyres are your # 1 investments...trans upgrades clip ons suspension and then the sky is the limit...you can look at my present build list and theres many others on here than you can see where their money has gone to.reach out if and when you ever make it up to JGP...be more than happy to work with you !
That would be great.. lets plan something I'm advance and I ve delighted to drive up.

Which handlebar clip ons should I buy not to interfere with the fairing? Norton, Woodcraft, .. generic?

The galfer brake lines, brake pads and wave rotor. Good improvements worth the price or should I look at another brand ?

·
Registered
496 Posts
all my race builds use 1.5 riser clip ons from driven (I'm a dealer for them) you would need a steering stop as well.leave the brake system alone for now until you start going fast enough to warp the front rotor. you said you were novice so with that being said your money should be spent in other areas that make more of an impact in handling. most of the times I do mondays because it's pretty much open track for experts or if they combine it makes fun messing with faster inter guys on bigger bikes 😎 JGP closes after may for the summer so look at the schedule and see what works for you and DM me

·
Director of Moderation
2,211 Posts
all my race builds use 1.5 riser clip ons from driven (I'm a dealer for them) you would need a steering stop as well.leave the brake system alone for now until you start going fast enough to warp the front rotor. you said you were novice so with that being said your money should be spent in other areas that make more of an impact in handling. most of the times I do mondays because it's pretty much open track for experts or if they combine it makes fun messing with faster inter guys on bigger bikes 😎 JGP closes after may for the summer so look at the schedule and see what works for you and DM me
Jennings doesn't do track days in the summer?? Wtf kinda bs is that?? lol On top of that they're pretty strict on the exhausts too from what I've heard.

·
Registered
496 Posts
@sbk1198 I've been going to JGP since 03 and once upon a time during the 115' summer months tryn to hang onto Melkas coat tails..the track was packed as can be !! the last few years I guess there wasn't enough people going so they shut it down for a few months unless someone rented it...maybe we should do a N400 day !!! Bart (tst) and I have already talked about doing something and as far as DBs..ya FKN stupid county have been enforcing that and coming down on track management pretty hard

·
Director of Moderation
2,211 Posts
@sbk1198 I've been going to JGP since 03 and once upon a time during the 115' summer months tryn to hang onto Melkas coat tails..the track was packed as can be !! the last few years I guess there wasn't enough people going so they shut it down for a few months unless someone rented it...maybe we should do a N400 day !!! Bart (tst) and I have already talked about doing something and as far as DBs..ya FKN stupid county have been enforcing that and coming down on track management pretty hard
So what you're saying is people have become more pussified lately and they can't be bothered to go ride if it's too hot? lol It makes sense to me to not go when it's too cold, or when it's showing 100% rain in the forecast, but because it's over 100 degrees?? Yeah I know that's not comfortable, and as much as I love to sit in a room with AC when it's 100+ degrees outside, I'd much rider spin some laps around a track! Just need to pace yourself is all. I've done track days when it was really hot (maybe not quite as humid though as FL), and all I do is I just shorten the sessions. 5 laps a session is good enough. Still fun. Going to the track isn't even ONLY about riding. There's so much more fun to be had even when you're not on a bike.

How much is it to rent Jennings in the summer? I would most likely go ride with you guys if the price is acceptable.

From your experience there, can a 400 with a typical exhaust, like the common ones people put on (Spark, M4, Yoshi, Akrapovic, Graves) pass or do you have to make modifications to get them to pass? What about 600s?

·
Registered
496 Posts
@sbk1198 for me I won't go if it's raining or under 70's and no sun otherwise the heat doesn't bother me just the tyres as JGP likes to eat them up regardless :mad::mad: I have AC in my trailer so I'm fine and when you're moving it's not bad,but ya your 1st sentence says it all ! as far as renting..2-3k(10 to 12 riders max) I'm in good with Jacky so we can work something out and maybe get some members to join in ! lets not talk about the DBs,FKN retarded !!! stock N400 with Akra with baffle in they complained about...70yr old riding it meanwhile there was an RC51 with Sato exhaust and not a peep! meanwhile I have a full blown SS GSXR600 with shorty Akra and never been messed with,guess having an CR on my windscreen excuses me from DB limits LOL

·
Director of Moderation
2,211 Posts
@sbk1198 for me I won't go if it's raining or under 70's and no sun otherwise the heat doesn't bother me just the tyres as JGP likes to eat them up regardless :mad::mad: I have AC in my trailer so I'm fine and when you're moving it's not bad,but ya your 1st sentence says it all ! as far as renting..2-3k(10 to 12 riders max) I'm in good with Jacky so we can work something out and maybe get some members to join in ! lets not talk about the DBs,FKN retarded !!! stock N400 with Akra with baffle in they complained about...70yr old riding it meanwhile there was an RC51 with Sato exhaust and not a peep! meanwhile I have a full blown SS GSXR600 with shorty Akra and never been messed with,guess having an CR on my windscreen excuses me from DB limits LOL
That's what concerns me about Jennings. If I have to modify my bikes so I can ride there, then I probably won't. I didn't spend all this money on parts and tuning to get them where they're at now, only to have to mess them up just so I can ride at one track that's not even anything special.

·
Registered
496 Posts
@sbk1198 you'll be fine...no one has bothered me on the hulk or capt A...the new build will have unpluged Akra so we'll see. I agree with you otherwise

·
Registered
477 Posts
I’ve been there with my 400 with M4 exhaust and baffle with no problems. Also my Ducati S2R1000 with full Arrow exhaust and baffles. Again no problems. The shrieking 4 cylinders with ghetto exhausts will get called out every time though.

I love the place. Fun, fun, fun and Velcro like grip.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Absolutely 💯 #FunFunFun

The stock front have about 9k and the rear about 4k on them good old Dunlop GPR300. View attachment 18113
Am I hearing this correctly? Stock GPR300 with 9 and 4k miles on a track day? If so, I applaud you...that is amazing. If these tires felt ok (to you) on the track I can only imagine what a new set of Dunlop Q3s or similar would do for your riding.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Thats most interesting that Jennings closes for the summer. I did a few track days at VIR when it was in the low 90s with probably 90% humidity. It felt like riding in an oven. I prefer
the northern tracks during the summer months and the southern ones in the spring and fall.
I plan on retiring to the Clearwater FL area, in a few years. I will be a regular at Jennings then.
I rode at Jennings back in Feb of 2019 with the 400. No issues with noise, had the full Delkevic exhaust. Jennings is a fun track! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

·
Director of Moderation
2,211 Posts
@sbk1198 you'll be fine...no one has bothered me on the hulk or capt A...the new build will have unpluged Akra so we'll see. I agree with you otherwise
Alright that's good to hear. My bikes are not obnoxiously loud by any means. My 636 is quieter than the average 600 around. The 400 has a Spark exhaust with the baffle in, so again...it's pretty average, not really that loud IMO.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts