Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By bike is 2 months old with 2k miles on it, last night I was at a light and noticed white smoke rising in front of my headlights. I also smelled a heavy smell of burning plastic. I turned it on again today and let it idle for a few minutes and it still was happening. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that can help me.

·
Registered
656 Posts
By bike is 2 months old with 2k miles on it, last night I was at a light and noticed white smoke rising in front of my headlights. I also smelled a heavy smell of burning plastic. I turned it on again today and let it idle for a few minutes and it still was happening. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that can help me.
Hi Hittabong69 - Lol interesting name choice, welcome to the forums...

There have been a couple reports of coolant leaks without mentioning the smell of burning plastic, which I have smelled before. White Smoke / Steam would probably be coolant hitting your exhaust pip.

Strange enough I've smelt burned plastic with a hint of coolant odor twice - neither time have I found where it coming from... Now that my bikes stripped of all its fairings ill have another look see.

Thanks for reminding me I forgot about that, If I find something ill report back here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha thanks for the welcome, my friend was suggesting something like that but I wasn't thinking so due to it being a new bike. I'll strip the fairings and check it out.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Haha thanks for the welcome, my friend was suggesting something like that but I wasn't thinking so due to it being a new bike. I'll strip the fairings and check it out.
Removing the fairings are pretty strait forward but if you have any questions go here, Fairing Removal Good luck..! let us know if you find something.

Also there are a couple threads on coolant leaks, with photos of some common locations to check... Search the forum for them, a couple are fairly new and should be easy to find.

One unlucky soul had a lower engine seal leak. And a couple people have had hose leaks at the radiator.

Check this thread. And this thread too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts